Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 14:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
That's because it was rude, Martin.

I see. I didn't intend it to be rude. My apology nonetheless.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/253/220 Male 183
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
My post got lost somehow.

If insulin is low, what makes it go up? The Pavlovian response, i.e. classical conditioning. Before we have ever eaten carbohydrate, we don't respond to the sight or thought of it. But once we've tasted it just once, the next time we think about it, see it, anticipate it, we respond physiologically, i.e. insulin goes up.

thank you for the reply, i think its clear now.

Is insulin the only hormone that makes us hungry?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 23:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
From what I understand, eating protein can produce a small rise in insulin, but nowhere near as large as the rise that carbs would produce.

--Melissa

If I eat a ton of protein, I'll often get a pretty big blood sugar reading the next day. It's weird.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 02:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko
thank you for the reply, i think its clear now.

Is insulin the only hormone that makes us hungry?

We could say that insulin makes us hungry but that would be incomplete. When we eat protein, insulin goes up as well yet eating protein doesn't make us hungry. On the contrary, it satisfies us more than carbohydrate. So it's not insulin that makes us hungry.

As insulin goes up, nutrients in the bloodstream go down. Cells sense this and call for more. That's what makes us hungry. Which hormone communicates this hunger to our brain? I don't know but some think it's leptin or ghrelin or both. If we eat protein, everything's alright. If it's not protein, i.e. carbohydrate, things go wrong and we continue to grow hungry. We eat more until we're full physically but we could still be hungry if all we eat is carbohydrate.

If it's fat, insulin goes up but it's barely perceptible. This means nutrient flow to the cells is uninterrupted and hunger is barely affected. However, when we feel hungry in the gut and to satisfy this hunger, fat is the most effective. Fat also slows down digestion so that the insulin hit from protein and carbs is less acute. That's why ice cream is low on the glycemic index even though it's full of sugar.

Having said all that, if we eat only protein, we could eat as much as we wanted until we're bursting as the seams and still be hungry. The reasons for this are complex but the point is that protein is insufficient on its own to satisfy hunger completely. We must eat fat, or carbohydrate, in conjunction with protein to completely satisfy hunger. Obviously for myself, I prefer to eat fat.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If I eat a ton of protein, I'll often get a pretty big blood sugar reading the next day. It's weird.

Nancy - I don't think it's weird at all. Instead, it may well be an indicator that you are one of the people who carry too many Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs), which means that for you, an excess consumption of protein while consuming a high fat diet (typical of a LC WOE for a lot of folks here, usually with good results) is causing even more insulin resistance, rather than less.

That is certainly the case with me, which is why severely limiting protein while upping fat, as per Dr. Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet plan broke a 2-year scale weight stall. I'm not diabetic and don't measure my BS, but I have felt so much physically better in the last month since starting this, I have no doubt my BS would indicate this as well.

See: http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...90407130905.htm

Lisa
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-09, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/253/220 Male 183
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks martin,

I was eating mainly pork yesterday, really fatty stuff, but I constantly had cravings for more, I dont know why.