Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:56

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 186/176/131
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Could someone help me please?

I began the Dr. Atkins plan on March 14th. The first week I lost 5 pounds. Since then, in spite of everything I have tried, there has been no poundage lost, or inches. I was hoping that if I write down everything I am consuming, someone might be able to help me figure out where I am going wrong. I was taking HRT's when I began, but with my Doctors blessing, I have stopped taking my Hormone therapy in hopes that it will help my weightloss. I have been sticking to the plan, with no cheating, so I am at a loss (no pun intended!) as to why this is not working for me. A week ago I actually started Dr. Atkins Fat Fast......no loss. It really is becoming very frustrating, but I am NOT going to give up!

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled deviled eggs made with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise and salt and pepper, a cup of decaf coffee with 1 TBL heavy cream, and a packet of splenda.

Lunch: 2 oz of oil packed canned tuna with 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half an avocado,

After that I have had a 2 oz. piece of brie cheese with 2 quarts of water throughout the day. If I get hungry in the evening, I have a handful of pork rinds. Nothing more has touched my lips for about a week and a half.

I am consuming no Asparame.

Please, if anyone has been through anything like this, or has any suggestions, I will be grateful for your input. I have 50 pounds to lose, and I know this can work.....I have seen it with friends......it just isn't working for me.........not at the moment anyway!

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 20:24

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

I am in the same boat as you are, in ketosis, yet not moving on the scale. I have noticed that my thighs are seeming to get slimmer, but other than that nothing else is happening. I drink almost a gallon of water a day, and other than my slip up yesterday (see the confession booth forum), I keep my carbs below 30 gm a day. My protien is always at least 100 gm a day, if not more. Maybe I am not a turtle, but there is something (or maybe nothing) going on with me.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 22:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Brit,

Everything you mention is good induction food, so no problem with what you are eating....it's what you are not eating

Where's those veges? It's critical to get 2-3 cps of leafy green veges, even on induction. It is exellent for the fibre and your general health. Often people make the mistake of getting carbs way down below 10 in the hope that this will help or speed things up. That's generally not the case and things often get moving once you up the carbs with good green veges. Refer to the list in the induction secion of DrA's book to know which ones to have.

Apart from that....stick at it, your body may well still be adjusting to the metabollic changes you are putting it thru and simply digging its toes in

lesley
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 06:48

BF:
Default Thank You!

Dear LesleyC, thanks so much for your encouragement, I am putting my shoes on now to head to the store to get those fresh veggies you are suggesting! I have never been happier with a "diet". I am not hungry, and I do have lots of energy.......so I am determined to make this work!

Thanks again for the encouragement, as it really is quite confusing when you first get started. So grateful for this site!

Jan
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/196/135
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default I have a problem with what your eating too

It does not seem like your eating enough, so your body is in starvation mode, try eating 10-12 rimes your body weight in calories, you need these calories to burn off fat.

I was not eating enough and was indeed stalled, I started eating more and the weight melted off....

Try going to fitday and keeping track of your calories, and yes include green leafy veggies...cheese, nuts, meat, and enything else you want, Pork rinds are a great snack, and see if that helps...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 07:40

BF:
Thumbs up Thank You!

Dear JMEY 100,

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate your advice. I have taken Lesleys advice as well, and added those much needed vegetables, and the weight is starting to move! I have now lost 16 pounds total!

Thanks for the advice about needing 10-12 times the calories of your body weight. I had no idea. I will certainly begin counting those calories today.

Thanks again.....I am truly grateful.

Brit
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 07:53

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Today is day #42 of this LC thing, and I am getting extremely discouraged with this. NO WEIGHT LOSS!!! I think I am doing everything by 'the book', no coffee, no caffeine, no AS, finally being able to stick around 1800 to 2000 cals, 20gr. or less carbs, 65-70% fat , 30-60 mins vigorous exercise ~day, 5 times a week, non-processed, fresh foods, no meal-replacement anything - I DO NOT GET IT!!!! What the heck am I doing wrong!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I do not lose, and if the cals or the carbs go just slightly higher than usual, WHAM, gained 2 pounds. This is so very frustrating and discouraging! I am beginning to feel very limited in what I can or cannot eat. Even played with the idea of going back to low cal/low fat. I NEED to get rid of these last 20 foresaken pounds!!! Been stuck at this weight since November 2002. It only took from March 2001 until November 2001 to lose 75 lbs on low fat/low cal, so what's the dead blame hold up here!!?? The start of Atkins looked very promising, but that only lasted about 2 weeks. Perhaps I should contact the center itself. I don't know what else to do.... Pleeeeeeez help, what else can I do????

Good job, Brit, in holding up your spirit. I wish I could say the same for me...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 14:50

BF:

Dear Tiggerlou,

Wish I had an answer for you, I am so new at this, that I wouldn't dare think about offering you advice, except for this one thing......I was reading on this site, about someone's glowing review of a book called "The Secret to Low Carb Success! How to Get the Most out of your Low Carbohydrate Diet" The book was written by Laura Richard.

Well, when I read that post, I was in the same boat as you, doing everything right, but not losing anything. I thought I had nothing to lose, (excuse the pun!), so I ordered the book through Amazon.com. I will forever thank my lucky stars! I found I wasn't doing everything right, in fact I was consuming almost twice the carbohydrates that I thought I was. I began changing my diet, and taking vitamin and mineral supplements, and the weight began shifting three days later. Surely, what is in the book, I am sure that you can find here on this site, so it is probably nothing new to anyone here, but I found it so easy, as it is right there at your fingertips. I recommend the book highly.

You have nothing to be discouraged about. You have perservered when you saw no results. I have the utmost respect for your determination. Good Luck!

Brit
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 16:47

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 134/116/115
BF:
Progress: 95%

Brit,
I read you post and just ordered that book. I have been low carbing since 1/4/02 and have only lost 4#(2 just recently). I am very anxioud to read the book.
thanks for the tip.
sallyd
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 17:12

Brit!
Thank you soooo much!!! I just got off Amazon.com and ordered the book, as well as a recipe book right along with it! It is people like you that make this forum work so well!!! Thanks again!
I did find a big culprit in my new WOL - the down fall of the scale, dreaded when moving one way, loved when moving the other... I fanataically weighed myself every single day- at least once! Now, how pathetic IS THAT!!!???
My goal is: not THIS week, until Sunday. But I had a 'not-so-good-day' today... Big fear is, I gain 5 or more pounds in the week I don't weigh myself, AND THEN WHAT!!!! P A N I C !!!! But I gotta try. The scale was going for my sanity BIG TIME!!! Euphoria when going down, depression when going up. Also, found I gave myself something like a 'free ticket' when having gone down, which, of course, caused it to go back up again the next day...vicious circle!!! So, I haven't got the slightest clue to what my exact weight is right now - hopefully by Sunday I can do the dance of joy...
How are YOU doing with this?? Let me know your progress, and thanks for the support!!
M.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:14

BF:

Dear Sallyd and Tiggerlou,

You are both very welcome! I hope you enjoy it, and learn as much from the book as I have!

Did my first cheat ever........my son-in-law was visiting from Spain, and made me a wonderful Spanish dinner! Couldn't, and wouldn't turn it down.....it was divine!!

But the next day, back to Low Carbing, and I continue to lose, just slowly. But, the good news, or great news, is that I AM LOSING!!

Both of you let me know how you are doing, and how you like the book!

Brit
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 17:38

Sure will, Brit....tomorrow is either the day of doom or time for the dance of joy. The first time in a year and a half that I managed to NOT weigh myself for an ENTIRE week...I am really nervous. Did pretty good, especially on the carb side, cals were a bit high, but Atkins said that shouldn't matter...We'll see...
So, will update tomorrow..cross your fingers......I am terrified by the idea of having gained weight, because if I did, then I have NO IDEA what to do...But the books should be here in a couple of days, so there's hope and help on the horizon....
Congrats on your wonderful succes, Brit!!! I can't wait to get that book!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 134/116/115
BF:
Progress: 95%

My book will be here next week and I am anxious to get it.
I will let you know how I like it.
sallyd
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 11:54

Plan: started Atkins at 126 LBS
Stats: 147/127/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've been and still am where you all are. I started Atkins last November, and after losing a pound, watched my weight go steadily upward. I've tried everything I could think of, but have spent the last6 months losing and gaining the same 6 pounds over and over again. I stongly resisted counting calories. One of the appealing things about low-carbing is not having to count every morsel that passes your lips. I've been tempted to go back to low-cal/low fat since that's what got 25 pounds off before i started low-carb, but I've been afraid I'll gain even more if I do. Lately, I have been counting my calories as well as carbs, and I found that I really was eating way too much for someone my weight. It seems I can only lose weight if I keep my carbs below 10, my calories around 1400-1500, my fat at a MINIMUM of 75%(it's really a modified Fat Fast), and exercise 7 days/week for 50-60 min. I can't say I like it, and I can't sustain that more than a few days at a time, but it seems to be working...for now. I've tried many other things that seem to work for a while, and then they stop. Even doing KISS (I did it as Neanderthin) didn't work for me. I, too, was obsessed with the scale, and when I started Neanderthin, I pledged I wouldn't get on the scale for a month. At the end of the month, when I weighed in, I'd gained 5 pounds! So now I monitor myself closely. Even when I feel like I can't give up something else, I find that I can and do. I just eat too much. I'm amazed at all of the threads that I read of people that have to make sure they eat enough. For me, once a compulsive eater, always a compulsive eater, I guess. I can kill a whole bag a pork rinds without drawing breath. All I can tell you is, stick with it, and find what works for you. That book by Laura Richards is great. I learned tons of stuff from it. Even after 6 months of frustration I never would have thought I was capable of enduring, I still go on. Most of the time, I feel like I'm locked in a battle with my body; it's trying to thwart every strategy I devise to lose weight. But I'm not giving up, and I hope you don't either.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 12:13
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hey Julie!

Congratulations on your successful weight loss!! And I'm sorry to hear you're having problems getting those last few pounds off! It sounds to me like your body has chosen a new set point that it likes very much! Which isn't such a bad one....better than my set point of 168 that I'm struggling with!!

I'm concerned about your carb intake at 10g though. You can't possibly be getting enough veggies and nutrients at that level! A fat fast (modified or not) is fine for once in a blue moon...but not for long periods of time, do you think?

I'd really like to see you increase your carbs to at least 30-40/day and your protein to about 100-120g/day and maybe lower your calories just a hair....to 1250-1500. I'm sure you realize that it's going to be difficult to get down to 120 when your body seems quite happy at 125!! Have you ever evaluated your body frame size and your body fat percentage? What size clothes are you wearing? What are your measurements? I'd like to know.... just to see if perhaps you might be stuck on the "number thing" rather than the way you look and feel.