Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 12:15

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Thanks for the affirmation Mike and Elizabeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
And for those of us who just want a little coconut yogurt every now and then, you can now buy a commercial version. Its very tasty and the ingredients aren't too terrible.

I've tried that and it is tasty. Unfortunately, even the plain variety is sweetened and has 16 grams of carb -- too much for me. I wish they'd come out with a truly plain version.

Nancy, congratulations on the 3 pound loss. Things seem to be going well for you.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 13:10

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Nancy...3 more products for you to consider

Nancy, I did some more thinking on this for you.

As I mentioned, I too prefer coffee to tea because it has a richer, stronger taste, so I'm always intrigued by new coffee subs I hear about.

I remembered that I had tried something a while back called "ramon nut." It is one of the main ingredients in the Maya version of Teeccino, BUT it is also sold on its own. It's not bad. You can read about it and get some here: http://www.rawganique.com/Food/Food...-substitute.htm

There is also something called Maca Root; I haven't tried that one yet. They have that at the same site: http://www.rawganique.com/maca.htm

And something I just found: chestnut coffee substitute! Sounds interesting. I found it here: http://www.simply-natural.biz/chestnut-coffee.php

I believe all three of these are gluten-free. Of course you'll want to research them, but at least it gives you three more options to consider.

Best to you! --SF
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 06:56

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Unfortunately, even the plain variety is sweetened and has 16 grams of carb -- too much for me. I wish they'd come out with a truly plain version.

I agree, but don't forget that some of that sugar has gone to feed the bugs. Coconut milk doesn't have as much sugar to start with as milk.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 08:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was ravenously hungry yesterday, ate like a pig and still lost almost 1/2 a pound. My stomach has gotten a lot flatter too. I think the coffee was giving me a big bloat.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 08:21

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I suggest that you wait at least three months before experimenting with the "fake" coffee-tasting beverages available. I quit coffee last year, and although the withdrawal symptoms have finally subsided, and I am starting to feel good natural energy again - I wouldn't dream of playing around with the fake coffees. I want REAL coffee, and LOTS of it -- so I am positive that those nasty substitutes would make my craving unbearable. I simply try to not think about it, and simply drink water.

Things may be different for you.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 10:31
Experimenter

BF:

I don't feel any pressing need to try to substitute and I'm not really having any cravings for it either, oh maybe a short one yesterday. The tea is ok, if not my favorite thing (too tannic if I make it strong, too puny if I don't).

I'm gradually cutting back on the sweetener I put in tea.

Just took my FBG and it was 78 this morning! That's a drop of 25-30 points from when I was drinking coffee.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 10:34

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Wow...... a 25-30 point drop -- that's fantastic!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 10:35
Experimenter

BF:

I can't quite figure out if it is just the coffee though. I also starting exercising, although I've tried exercise in the past and it didn't do much for the FBG, although maybe I didn't stick with it long enough.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 10:46
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Wow - this is amazing Nancy!

And - I agree with bike2work - I still have some store bought 'plain' coconut yogurt in my fridge, but leery of trying it because it's sweetened. I think we should petition capmikee to start up his own line of coconut yogurt for those of us who don't feel like making it. I'd buy it!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 10:57

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Heh - Wifey keeps telling me I should do that. I'm kind of against it though - live foods are very difficult to ship, health regulations would probably ban my normal methods, and the shelf life (at least for best flavor) is extremely short. It's very easy to keep making more at home every couple days, but if it were sitting on a store shelf for a week, I don't know if anyone would be that impressed with it.

Go ahead and buy one container of the commercial stuff, and use it as a starter for your own!

1. Put 2 Tbsp live yogurt in a pint jar. Peanut butter jars and salsa jars work great.
2. Add one 14oz can of coconut milk.
3. Stir well and close jar.
4. Leave on the counter 8-48 hours, depending on your taste and the temperature.
5. Refrigerate
6. Eat.
7. Don't clean the jar, just go back to step 2.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 11:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I agree, but don't forget that some of that sugar has gone to feed the bugs. Coconut milk doesn't have as much sugar to start with as milk.

Oh, maybe you didn't notice the added sugar. From the ingredient list:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: WATER, COCONUT MILK, ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, ...

I think it's pretty dirty of the food manufacturers to list sugar as things like "organic evaporated cane juice". It shouldn't be legal.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 11:31

BF:

Great news Nancy! I know that caffeine makes a big difference for me, but in my case it leads to a big drop in blood sugar so that I get sweaty, shaky and begin to feel like I might pass out. Oddly, even knowing my reaction to the stuff, I've managed to get myself re-addicted several times.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 22:48

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Oh, maybe you didn't notice the added sugar. From the ingredient list:

I think it's pretty dirty of the food manufacturers to list sugar as things like "organic evaporated cane juice". It shouldn't be legal.

I agree. The health food world is so full of fraudulent activity like that. Especially with sweeteners like that and agave syrup. People just "eat it up" too.. I wish agave syrup wasn't so popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
No, I don't mess around with stuff containing ingredients that contain gluten. I don't need my autoimmune system to deal with that. Even if I don't get a visible reaction, I'm suspicious that it is still causing issues that'll make my antibodies go up. And I tend to be suspicious of companies making claims like that. Get a couple of independent labs to test it and make the results available on your web site.

Better yet, find something else and remove the barley.

But you still eat butter?
Though I think you might have mentioned your reactions weren't as bad. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by mikesg : Sat, Mar-14-09 at 23:31.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 08:58
Experimenter

BF:

Well, no one is perfect! Go read The Gluten File. It's pretty damning for gluten, I don't really have anything like it for dairy so as far as I know the worst thing it does is make me mucus-y and constipated. And the amount I eat in butter, it doesn't even do that.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-09, 06:10

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Oh, maybe you didn't notice the added sugar.

No, I noticed. I didn't think that coconut milk had enough sugar to feed the bugs, and I still think it probably doesn't at the speed necessary for commercial processing.

I know its not a *great* solution, but I'm not likely to eat enough to make it myself. That's why I said it wasn't 'too terrible'. Its a concession I'm willing to make once a month or so since dairy is absolutely out of the question.

I agree it would be better if there was an *actual* plain flavor without all the sugar, but they almost certainly couldn't sell enough to make it a viable market then. Carbaholics being the greater demographic.

Last edited by Bat Spit : Mon, Mar-16-09 at 13:56.