Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 23:01

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Because once I broke one addiction (sugar), I wanted to make sure nothing else was controlling me without me really knowing.

Maybe I'm addicted to breaking addictions. Heh. I'll keep the coffee for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 23:33

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
Maybe I'm addicted to breaking addictions.

Amen to that! There's a story from the Desert Fathers about a hermit who is plagued by temptation. His master tells him he suffers because he is still clinging to a few worldly things. I'm afraid I follow that philosophy to a fault - if I'm not getting better, I always think of foods I could give up, instead of foods I could add that might help me.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

But if it's foods that is causing the problem, adding new ones isn't going to solve anything.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:30
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I drink too much coffee.

The funny thing is - a long time ago (pre low-carb or whatever) I gave up coffee and switched to tea. The tea is much nicer, less of a 'jittery' effect, but still provides a nice uplift in the middle of the afternoon.

When I met my husband, he got me back into coffee. I *love* the smell of it, and before too long, I was back to multiple mugs of coffee in the morning.

And with regard to food addictions in general: I was one who fretted about giving up the cream in my coffee. I *knew* it wasn't doing me any good, and it still took me an entire year of thinking/talking about it before I finally just ditched all dairy entirely. Nancy's 100% right, it was much easier than I'd imagined.

You know what? Come to think of it - it seems like these things are always hard to manage portions/intake of. I could never regulate the cream consumption a la Atkins, and now - the coffee thing has snuck up on me over the years - so that I'm now drinking too much of it (imo). I also used to drink tons of Diet Coke too. Quit that awhile ago.

Funny, I never seem to find myself eating too much spinach or chicken.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:03
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Funny, I never seem to find myself eating too much spinach or chicken.

LOL! Me neither!

You know what does trigger me to over eat is soy sauce, especially mixed with a few other ingredients like ginger and garlic. Hoo boy, I can eat myself sick on stuff made with my asian marinade.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I suppose I could give it up....if I wanted to. But I don't want to.

I don't drink as much coffee lately as I did while doing Atkins. I have switched to a more semi-low carb/lower calorie diet now and don't crave it like I did on Atkins. I rarely drink it in the afternoons or evenings anymore.

But I'm still not giving it up...
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You know what does trigger me to over eat is soy sauce, especially mixed with a few other ingredients like ginger and garlic. Hoo boy, I can eat myself sick on stuff made with my asian marinade.

That's gluten-free soy sauce, right?

What makes me worry is I can never get enough chicken or pork chops. Or at least, I don't usually get enough. Most of the time we cook 6 pork chops for 5 people, Wifey gets two, and I get one plus the meat from everybody else's bones and all the fat they don't want (which seems to be dwindling). But when we have extra pork chops, I eat them all. Maybe if I ate 6 all for myself I'd be satisfied, but I'm not sure I've ever had the chance.

With chicken, I usually eat 3 or 4 thigh-size servings, avoiding light meat, and then there's no chicken left. Eating the bones helps a lot, though - I eat the cartilage from leg and thigh bones, and I crunch up the wing tips and ribs. If I'm really hungry I crack open the big bones and eat the marrow, but that's getting into serious splinter territory.

Even with hamburgers, 4 isn't usually enough; although sometimes 6 is ok.

My six-year-old is funny. Last night we had chicken and she said "I hate fat! Here, Daddy, have my fat." She handed me some cartilage. That was fine with me, but I made sure she knew that wasn't fat!

Another scary thing about chicken is that sometimes if I eat slightly undercooked chicken or chicken skin, I get really nauseous. I don't think it's food poisoning - last time it happened was after I made stock. I took all the skin out and rendered it, and then ate some of the cracklings - it wasn't really undercooked, but some of it was still a little floppy.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
That's gluten-free soy sauce, right?
Natch. It is wheat free tamari. I've been on this gluten diet thing for 3.5 years now, I think I've got it pretty well nailed.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 12:49

Plan: Paleo Diet (Cordain)
Stats: 260/244/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I don't think I'm addicted as much to caffeine as to hot drinks. I never get caffinated soft drinks and I am perfectly fine with decaf coffee. But I just love to drink something hot. Its the comfort factor of holding and drinking a hot mug of "something." I used to also drink hot cocoa and I also drink hot tea. In the summer I don't drink hot drinks as much. I just need something hot to drink first thing in the morning on cold days. I have been toying with the idea of drinking hot broth instead of coffee or tea, but most broth is very salty.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 13:46
Experimenter

BF:

I'm definitely addicted to hot drinks too. You're right, it is comforting and it warms up the hands!

You can get low sodium broth. I get it (gluten free too) at Trader Joe's. Sometimes I add my own spices, like Turkish Blend from Penzeys. But I forget about broth for long stretches of time! Thanks for the reminder.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 13:49
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, so here's my report on coffee free:

My intestines have changed 100%. No more urgency to go and the consistency has changed a lot, much firmer, less mess. Obviously part of my problem was coffee all along!

Blood sugar has been down about 5-10 points but I'm also exercising fairly consistently right now. Also I sometimes gets periods where it is lower so this might be a fluke.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:46

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Congratulations for breaking your addiction, Nancy. I gave up regular coffee sixteen years ago (for the first time anyway) when my employees told me they could tell when I'd had a cup by how cranky I was -- I had no idea! Apparently I'm much nicer off coffee. I've had several relapses, but it's never been as hard to break the habit as it was the first time.

I feel like I've overcome a heroin addiction myself: I finally got off dairy products!!! I agonized over that decision for ages. A year? Maybe more. I would get so panicky at the prospect of not ever having cheese or cream or yogurt again that I would nearly break out in a sweat. I was finally going to do it Jan 1 of this year. It didn't happen. Finally, in early February I told myself that I would try it for two weeks only. I got through the first two days with HiDelight's recipe for avocado/coconut milk smoothies. Then, miraculously, I didn't care anymore! I can't tell you how surprising this is to me. Cheese? Who cares! Ice cream? So what! My only lingering regret is that I still want some Indian dishes that are traditionally made with yogurt but you can't specifically taste the yogurt. I think it's the spices I'm craving. Maybe they'll taste okay with coconut milk.

I feel like this is a huge milestone for me. I can't explain why.

Jackie, how about herbal teas? I like the ones from Celestial Seasonings. They have a wide array of flavors. If you ever find yourself in Boulder, Colorado they have their factory here and you can taste all the flavors you want in the tasting room.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 18:10

Plan: Paleo Diet (Cordain)
Stats: 260/244/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, so here's my report on coffee free:

My intestines have changed 100%. No more urgency to go and the consistency has changed a lot, much firmer, less mess. Obviously part of my problem was coffee all along!

Blood sugar has been down about 5-10 points but I'm also exercising fairly consistently right now. Also I sometimes gets periods where it is lower so this might be a fluke.

On the surface that's TMI-- ,but practically speaking your post was helpful because I have been having digestive problems too. I am going to try to go coffee-free for awhile. I know that its not all about the caffeine. There is also a lot of acid in coffee with may upset the alkaline-acid balance in the stomach and intestines.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 18:30

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
My only lingering regret is that I still want some Indian dishes that are traditionally made with yogurt but you can't specifically taste the yogurt. I think it's the spices I'm craving. Maybe they'll taste okay with coconut milk.

I love Indian food and I usually sub coconut milk for yogurt and it works great! If you want to keep the yogurty tang you can add a little lemon juice or vinegar as well.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
My only lingering regret is that I still want some Indian dishes that are traditionally made with yogurt but you can't specifically taste the yogurt. I think it's the spices I'm craving. Maybe they'll taste okay with coconut milk.

I've made raita and tandoori chicken with coconut milk yogurt and they came out really great - in fact, it was hard to tell the difference.