Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 110/127/110 Female 5'4 in.
BF:
Progress:

I'm in my second wk of induction and for the first few days I was fine then for like 4 days I was going out of my mind and to make matters worse I got a visit from my 'friend' so sugar cravings went through the roof! I had sf jello and that helped although I wasn't sure if I could have it bc of aspartame. I'm on day 8 and feel fine...don't want anything sweet at all.

One thing I have to say- When I did induction a few months back and craved sugar I started doing the whole cream cheese w/splenda and all that other stuff and it only made my cravings worse! I think some people are fine w/ splenda but this time around I went w/o it and felt much better.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 14:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Sweet tooth on atkins

I have a terrible sweet tooth, love cake, candy etc. The only way I can stay on Atkins is when I get that craving is to pour a glass of diet cream, rootbeer or any other soda but first add some heavy cream to the glass. It tastes like an ice cream soda. If you want to make an old fashion egg cream find diet chocolate soda and add the heavy cream ... some days I have two of these to keep me away from sweets.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 15:36
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Old thread, but for peeps that don't know -- it took me about 6 mo to a year to get rid of most cravings -- homemade breads? not so much. Most noticeable, early on I had, read melons were fairly LC so I bought three -- tasted too sweet to me, so I gave the other two to friends who promptly reported back to me "Those cantaloupes weren't even ripe -- they were way too sour!"

Now I can drive by my fav bakery Haby's and not even notice it. It might as well be just a gas station. Before I would be compelled to buy two cheese Danish --one for now the other with breakfast tomorrow. You can guess how that played out!

I tried the Land 'O Lakes canned SF whipped topping -- to sickly -- it went in the trash.

Now I can even enjoy Baker's unsweetened (cooking chocolate) with coffee whenever I want -- and it's low-carb.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 00:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Personally, it took me almost 10 weeks for the cravings to disappear.

I am an anxious eater. So I really do not crave food.

At first, I would get really hungry before the next meal time. Particularly lunch. At 4 hours, I was wanting to eat. Finally at 10 weeks, that went away. I then was ready at my planned 5 hour window.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 04:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This is a good thread to bump!

I have found my taste sensitivity to be very well calibrated now. When I bake I use half the sweetener the recipe calls for. This summer, between not wanting to turn on the oven, and the abundance of ripe fruit, I haven't had any low carb "treats" at all.

Fruit doesn't trigger cravings for me, and I always have it with a meal, or at least some unsweetened Greek yogurt or drained whole milk yogurt. Eating fruit with protein and fat makes it satisfying; eating it alone MAKES ME HUNGRY.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 240/220/140 Female 5' 2 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

You can usually get away from the carb & sugar cravings if you eat enough meat & FAT. Fat satiates, satisfies, makes you not hungry. And makes your food taste better. Go cold turkey on the sugar & carbs and you'll kick the cravings & habits.

And sometimes you have to change people, places & things for a while to get the new routine down pat. We actually had to cut ties with good friends because they always came laden with loads of JUNK Food. Even after being asked not to. I'm having a time right now, since we are getting off booze, having a good time in the pool, where we typically drank lots and floated on rafts. I've started swimming laps as a change, and trying to make the pool more healthy, rather than as another drinking place. We cook M'Oink Balls(bacon wrapped meatballs) and stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon on the grill. Good stuff and NOT booze.
And I've read that most cravings last less than 10 minutes if not satisfied. Hang in there, it will get better.