Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 09:18

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I dont want to step on any toes or cause a huge debate, but I thought this forum was for "ANYONE" who was following a low carb plan. Be it ATKINS, SOUTH BEACH, PROTEIN POWER or one that I made up myself. I didnt know it had to actually be a "PUBLISHED" diet. I know there has been negative attention and publicity about the majority of the diets that are followed on this site. But does that stop anyone from following them?? Of course not. If one low carb diet is working for someone and it happens to not be the plan you prefer cant we just wish that person well and encourage them anyway??? Let them try it on their own. If they fail than say " Hey I'm sorry that plan didnt work for you, would you like some information about the plan I am following?? Maybe it would work for you better?? And since we are all talking LOW CARB DIETS here I just thought any low carb plan would be accepted and not just the "POPULAR" ones. If I had wanted a clique I would have stayed in highschool. Anyway, like I said before I didnt want to step on any toes or offend anyone, but if this really is a "Published PLan" supported only forum I probably am in the wrong place.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 09:44

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

By chance I clicked on this thread to see what it was about. I must say I am glad I did. I have read the whole thread and the info about this mayo clinic diet sound interesting. I am actually considering giving it a go! Just to see if it works or not... I'm not sure yet.

I might stick to my own/current plan for now and if I don't see the results I expect (reasonable results that is) then I might just give it a go.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 10:00

BF:

if you do jump by my journal and let me know. Apparently thats where will need to communicate
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 187/182.8/127 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa53098
I did look at post #12 and it doesn't answer my questions?
Still looking for answers!

I'm not sure why my post wasn't a good enough answer. I gave the outline of the plan you're looking for that ***I DID** and told you I DID IT and had GREAT RESULTS. Not sure what you're looking for if the answers to your question don't answer your question.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 17:41

Plan: Mayo Clinic Diet
Stats: 188/169/158 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow! Thanks for the positive support! After all that's what a discussion like this is supposed to do. Your comments really boosted me. Yes, I am planning on starting the "Mayo Clinic Diet" next week. I am starting Sunday rather than Monday with my husband. For me, it just looks easier to map out this 14 day diet cycle starting on a Sunday. Also, I work night shift (11PM - 7:30AM), and my scheduled weekend off is every other Friday and Saturday night shift, (not Saturday and Sunday like most hospital jobs). My husband would like to occasionally go out to eat for a "fish fry" on Friday night, these are popular here in Wisconsin. I don't think that we have to start exactly on the same day, if Monday works best for you, then do that. I have never been on a forum before, so I don't know my way around. I plan on starting a journal when I start the Mayo Clinic Diet. My nursing supervisor went on this diet years ago and lost a ton of weight. I've lost contact with her or I'd just phone her. I know she was very happy with her results.
I've been on the Atkins for 3 weeks. I lost about 3 pounds the first week, and then 1 more pound. Now, I'm stuck. I keep my carbs under 25 a day, but no weight is coming off. I am afraid to go off the Atkins, because I always gain. So, right now, for me at least, the Atkins at 25 carbs/daily is only a maintainence plan. I don't want a maintainence plan now, I still need to lose at least 20 pounds! My theory is that if I get off of the Atkins, and switch to another Low Carb Diet that is similar for 4 to 6 weeks, then when I transition back to the Atkins, that it may start working again for me. I don't think any diet is truly a hard and fast science. I think it is more of a see what works for you. Nothing but Low Carb Diets have ever worked for me though. I'm excited about the switch. There are some foods on the Mayo Clinic Diet that the Atkins doesn't allow, and the 2 days off every other weekend is the biggest draw!
Thanks again for the encouragement!!!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 21:37

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 208/201.8/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
My theory is that if I get off of the Atkins, and switch to another Low Carb Diet that is similar for 4 to 6 weeks, then when I transition back to the Atkins, that it may start working again for me.

Honestly, I don't think that Atkins has necessarily stopped working for you. You lost 4 lbs in Induction (more than 10% of the 20 that you want to lose) and now your body is adjusting and reacting with no loss in week 3. That's normal. It's very possible that if you gave it another week or two, then the scale would start moving again.

That being said, it sounds like you may not be happy with the food that you're eating, so a change may be just what you need to stay motivated. Whatever you do, good luck!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 08:29

BF:

I would agree with you completely. The Atkins hasn't stopped working, but the progress is mightly slow. I need a change for a while.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 08:44

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

My husband and I are trying the diet outlined above starting today. I weighed myself Tuesday evening at a sleep study and I had lost another 2 lbs. I would be perfectly content with losing 2 lbs every 3 weeks (in the middle of winter!) by keeping my carbs under 40-50 a day, except for the fact that I desperately need and want some surgery that would improve my health immensely. So I'm hoping that strictly following the grapefruit diet will help; fortunately I like grapefruit a lot! Someone may have answered this already, but is it okay to have cream in your (decaf) coffee as long as it's with your meal? I get the idea that you are not supposed to have any food intake except at your 3 meals. I want to follow this for 12 days and see what happens. And what is people's experience with having a delay after eating your grapefruit? Does it matter if you just eat it first or should you wait a bit before eating your meal?
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 08:46

BF:
Default "Mayo Clinic Diet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLissy
This is the one I followed a while back and lost a lot of weight. I liked it cause its 12 days on 2 days off. Worked for me. then I got lazy... which seems to happen everytime I lose the weight I want to lose. Nothing to do with any diet in general, just me. You can find it on this website under the Mayo Clinic Diet and The Grapefruit juice diet.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/fruitjuicediet.html

A girl I worked with did this diet and her maintenance was to be on the diet during the week then weekends off. Worked great for her.

BREAKFAST:
1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice.
2 Eggs any style
2 Slices of bacon
Black coffee or tea, no sugar

LUNCH:
Salad and or raw veggies (any dressing, {not low fat or fat free})
Meat (Cooked any way)

DINNER:
Meat (cooked any way) Vegetables (any green or red, may be cooked in butter or Seasoning or a salad as above) Black coffee or tea, no sugar

BEDTIME:
(opt) 8oz Tomato juice or skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. At any meal you may eat until you are full, and you can not eat anymore. You must eat the minimum listed listed at each meal.
2. Do not eliminate anything from the diet, especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn the fat.
3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to one cup each meal.
5. Don't eat between meals, if you eat the combination of food suggested, you will not get hungry.
6. The diet may eliminate sugars and starches. Fat does not form fat, it helps burn it, so you can fry food in butter and use butter generously on vegetables.
7. Do not eat desserts, breads and white vegetables of sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salads or vegetables. Eat till you are stuffed. The more you eat the more weight you will lose.
8. There may be no weight loss in the first 4 days, but you may lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. You may lose 1 and 1/2 pounds every two days until you reach your goal.
9. DRINK EIGHT 8oz GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY. 1/2 GALLON.
THIS DIET IS SAID TO BEEN GIVEN TO HEART PATIENTS NEEDING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST FOR BY-PASS SURGERY.

ALL SOFT DRINKS NEED TO BE DIET AND CAFFEINE FREE.

YOU MAY NOT HAVE: White onions, potatoes, celery, peas, cereal, carrots, corn, starchy vegetables, bread, noodles, rice, potato chips, pretzels or fruit or diet dressing.

YOU MAY HAVE: Red onions, bell peppers, radishes, broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, leaf spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, chili (no beans) mayonnaise, any cheese, hot dogs, cole slaw, regular salad dressing, green vegetables, 1tsp nuts, dill or bread and butter pickles.

IMPORTANT
STAY ON DIET 12 DAYS AND STOP FOR 2 DAYS
Works out great to start on a Monday because you will have every other weekend off of the diet

This lists carrots in the "You Cannot Have List". Then on the website that you gave me, carrots are in the list of vegetables that you can have. Also, another question that I has is whether or not beets are allowed since it says "any red vegetable". I love beets and carrots, and neither are allowed on the Atkins. I know that the Mayo Clinic Diet is basically passed on by word of mouth and there are no hard and fast rules, or published guidelines. I was wondering if you had experience eating either of these vegetables while on the diet, and if you did, what did it do to the weight loss pattern? I am trying to gather as much information about the Mayo Clinic Diet as I can before I start on it this coming Sunday morning. I have read numerous websites, and there really is quite a bit of differences in them. That is why I am asking for personal experiences from those who have actually tried the diet.
Thanks so much!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:03

BF:

Yes, losing 2 pounds over 3 weeks is OK. That comes out to .66 pounds/weekly. Seems a bit slow when I hear all of the others who are losing on average 1 to 1.5 pounds weekly. If I kept losing .66 pounds weekly, it would only take me 13.2 weeks to lose 20 pounds! I also love the fact that this diet allows 2 days off every 12. Sometimes it is difficult to obtain foods on your diet when you travel and have to eat out, or when you visit family and stay at their house (and have to be polite and eat what they serve). My husband has an adverse reaction to the hidden MSG that is found in most restaraunt foods. Even things like steak and a grilled chicken breast that are perfect low carb foods, are injected with MSG, and he gets sick after eating them.
Good luck to you and your husband. Keep us posted on your results!
Thanks
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:44

BF:

Hi guys. I dont know why all the negative responses here, but anyway. I didnt personally use cream in my coffee because I dont drink coffee. But I have a friend who drinks coffee and she used cream in her coffee, however she didnt have the optional bedtime snack of tomato juice or skim milk. Try the diet for a week or two and note your wieght loss following strictly. Then the next to weeks add a little bit of the carrots or beets and see how your weight loss compares. If it is too much of a difference for you than you might want to wait until your 2 days off to have the things you want that arent allowed on your 12 days on. Good luck, you can come by my journal anytime if you have any questions or you can PM me
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:45

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Yes, losing 2 pounds over 3 weeks is OK.

Yes, Lisa, I would be perfectly happy. I lost 17 pounds in the first 42 days of LCing and I know that the beginning is always the quickest. I slowed down a lot after a doc prescribed a med for me that caused terrible carb cravings, but I still lost 2 lbs (and stopped the med). It's just wanting the surgery (to get rid of a 7-year-old infection) that is motivating me to alter my eating patterns. Otherwise, I would be perfectly content.

Quote:
Good luck to you and your husband. Keep us posted on your results!

Thank you!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/170/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just wanted to chime in about the beets thing - I have no real knowledge of this Mayo Diet other than what I just read in this thread, but I would venture to say that beets may NOT be allowed, since they are a purple vegetable, not red. Like purple cabbage and blueberries, they contain those deeper pigments, not like red peppers and tomatoes. Just a guess?
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:24

BF:

but you can have purple cabbage on mayodiet
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:28

BF:

Both points of view sound logical. I'll experiment and see what happens. Is there anyone out there with first hand experience using the Mayo Clinic Diet that has any new information in general about the diet to add? I'd love to hear from you!