Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 07:21

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

watched it yesterday, it's really really good. And he does make utter fools outta the lipid hypothesis/low fat crowd. And of course Mr. Spurlock too.

Unfortunately, I can convince my wife to even watch it, haha...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 09:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

*wave* Tom Naughton

Woot! I've seen the Youtube clips, got the DVD in my cart on Amazon (just need to order a couple more things). Loved what I have seen so far.

Yes, I definitely agree America probably needs to hear the message "cut back on the carbs" for awhile before it's ready to hear "no more grains and fruit juice for you!"
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Hi Tom, nice to have your comments here.

I'm looking forward to the Australian release, perhaps I'll need to start annoying our local dvd retailers to speed things up a bit.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 17:47

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Tom - great to hear from you. I quite agree that closer to 100 grams of carbs would be good for the general population. Heck, 200 grams would be. I am GREATLY looking forward to seeing the movie - Rob
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 17:55

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Tom!

I look forward to seeing your film.

Quote:
I can still lose weight at 100 grams or thereabouts.

P.S. I hate you! (kidding! Just jealous )
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/195/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Australia, etc.

I hope the film is available in Australia soon. I do know some TV network in New Zealand bought the rights this week.

We have one distributor for the U.S. and another for the rest of the world. From what I understand, getting it into foreign markets is a country-by-country process. At least for the Australian market, they won't have to get it dubbed or subtitled in another language.

Wifezilla, if my 100-gram limit makes you envious, you'd hate my son. He's like the naturally-lean prisoners Gary Taubes described in his book ... they were overfed by more than a thousand calories per day for several months and barely gained any weight. When my son was playing high school basketball, his coach wanted him to gain weight -- he couldn't. Same thing when he was in boot camp.

He didn't get it from me.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 15:08

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaughton
I hope the film is available in Australia soon. I do know some TV network in New Zealand bought the rights this week.

We have one distributor for the U.S. and another for the rest of the world. From what I understand, getting it into foreign markets is a country-by-country process. At least for the Australian market, they won't have to get it dubbed or subtitled in another language.

Wifezilla, if my 100-gram limit makes you envious, you'd hate my son. He's like the naturally-lean prisoners Gary Taubes described in his book ... they were overfed by more than a thousand calories per day for several months and barely gained any weight. When my son was playing high school basketball, his coach wanted him to gain weight -- he couldn't. Same thing when he was in boot camp.

He didn't get it from me.

The internet is the biggest distributing medium in the world. Try it, you'll see. On a different note, if you really want to see how popular your movie is, and by extension how much money it's making or going to make, check the warez sites once your movie hits the internet. On another different note, free publicity is the best publicity. In other words, however your movie is publicized means your movie is publicized. The more visibility, the more sales. Well, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

The movie looks fun and I'm looking forward to watching it.

-edit- Here's an idea. 5$ per customer. Internet distribution and sales using PayPal or something. BitTorrent download. A single 100Mbit server handling sales and download. Voila. Cheap worldwide movie distribution network.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I guess I will have to remain patient. In the meantime I will spread the word.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 20:53

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Today was so perfect for that movie. It was 50* outside, so we collected our movie from the mailbox, sent the kids outside to catch some rays, and watched the movie. How perfect to watch it with so few distractions! Believe me, it was a rare treat.

It was so much fun seeing all the people whose books we've read. Eades, Taubes, Enig, Ravnskov, Kendrick, Fallon... some without interview, some with. That was so much fun.

There are a couple of books I'd like to read now, the one from the "logic" dude and the one from the Chicago dude (Eric something). I'll get that info once I see it again.

I really liked how accurately McDonalds was portrayed. They are not some evil entity bent on forcing poor, unsuspecting slobs to eat their nasty food. People have a choice, and if the government gets their way we WILL be forced to eat what politicians will profit from.
Freedom and beef tallow for all.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 22:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/195/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Logic and Chicago Dudes

I'm guessing the Logic Dude was Jacob Sullum. If you Google him, you'll probably find a lot of his articles online. I believe townhall.com features him as a columnist.

The Chicago Dude is Eric Oliver, and his book is Fat Politics. There's a link on our website, www.fathead-movie.com. That book was a real eye-opener.

My wife spent two years in Africa and confirmed what he says in the book about how equating thinness with beauty is largely a western, white, middle- and upper-class attitude. In Africa, it's a compliment to say "You're looking large today," and girls try to gain weight when they reach courting age.

Tom
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 11:30

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi Tom! Your movie looks hilarious and amazing, I'm ordering mine right away!

#27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 09:37

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

My procrastination is paying off -- the price of the DVD is dropping on amazon. It's now at 30% off!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 11:21

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I keep having to stop myself and ask "So, what is wrong with McDonald's exactly?" They get so much bad press, but how are they worse than Coke or Altria or Microsoft or any big corporation? In my opinion, General Mills is the real bad guy - those Cheerios commercials are killing people!

Adbusters/The Media Foundation have really gone after McDonald's - they've done some very ugly ads suggesting that McDonald's will make you fat. I used to be a big fan of Adbusters but I'm not so much anymore.

On the other hand, the Slow Food movement has had some great responses to McDonald's based on their homogenization of culture and taste, which I think is much more real than their effect on health.

I tried to request that Netflix carry the movie, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Did they disable that feature? Any chance they might carry it?

I loved the interview. I haven't watched Supersize Me yet. I'm looking forward to seeing both films.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
My procrastination is paying off -- the price of the DVD is dropping on amazon. It's now at 30% off!

Oh hey! I procrastinated too! Well, I ordered some novels and a instant read cooking thermometer so I could get free shipping. Should have it in a week or so.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:22

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I keep having to stop myself and ask "So, what is wrong with McDonald's exactly?" They get so much bad press, but how are they worse than Coke or Altria or Microsoft or any big corporation? In my opinion, General Mills is the real bad guy - those Cheerios commercials are killing people!

Adbusters/The Media Foundation have really gone after McDonald's - they've done some very ugly ads suggesting that McDonald's will make you fat. I used to be a big fan of Adbusters but I'm not so much anymore.

I think it's about class-ism. The very worst menu by any nutritional standard is that at Starbucks. But Starbucks is white-collar while McDonalds is blue-collar. So McDonalds is villainized while no one ever comments on the nutritional atrocity of Starbucks food.

Think of any high-end restaurant out there. The menu will invariably have refined sugar, refined flour, transfats, saturated fats, high-fat items, high-carb items, and so on. Their configuration may be different, and the food will probably be better, but you can eat badly anywhere. Nonetheless, the nutrition experts continue to point fingers at only the blue-collar restaurants.

I've eaten at many of the best restaurants in this country and in Europe and from a macronutient standpoint, those meals were all just as bad as fast food. When I lost 86 pounds on low carb I was eating breakfast at McDonalds (two sausage egg muffins, sans muffins) every single day. I ate many lunches and dinners there too (I was an unemployed grad student). And I never felt better.