Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 12:39

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%
Cool February Callanetics

Anyone up for a new Callanetics thread for February? How'd we all do last month?

I barely made my goal, but I got 17 hours in! For February, I'm thinking I'll shoot for 16 hours and hope to surpass my goal.

Does anyone know anything about SuperCallanetics? I'm considering downloading it, just for a preview. Rumor has it that it's a really, super-efficient (but also super-tough) version of regular Callanetics. I by no means think I'm fit enough to do it, but I'm just really curious lately.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

Well, i too just got to my goal of 16 hours. I am going to put my name down for the same again for February. That will take me up to hour 52 by the end of the month.
BRING IT ON
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 15:06

I have no idea what hour I'm on, lol. I think I lost count at about 6. BUT, that's mostly because I have the absolutely worst memory on the planet. And I didn't think about keeping track when I started.

I think I'll try an experiment for the next few weeks. If Callanetics works so well on my legs, why only one arm exercise? So, I'm going to start trying to figure out how to alter the leg exercises for my arms, try them for a few weeks, and see if my arms get more toned. I know they won't get muscular, but maybe I can tone them up a little? I can't seem to motivate myself to work on my arms, but maybe if I make it part of Callanetics I can?

For this month, I'm shooting for 16 hours, too. I think I can manage four times a week. Let's see if my kids and cats let me now!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

Let me know how you get on with the arm exercises, i could really do with some of these.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 19:10

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Can I join y'all? I'm down for 13 hours this month (completed an hour yesterday).

I did really well at the end of last year and was enjoying my "peach"
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 23:50

Lol, Zorra. My peach still needs a little work, but I'm looking more peachy and less pear-ish all the time. And I say the more, the merrier. So far, it's looking like just three of us for the month, but that may change.

BTW, are you a "Pinky and the Brain" fan? Just a guess from your entry after 'Plan'. You can guess whether I am from that question!

I'm just wondering why Callan never came up with any arm exercises. All I can think to do are these three. 1- Arms straight out to the side and pulse up and down 1/4-1/2 inch for 100 counts. 2- Arms straight to the side and bent , pulse forward and backward for 100 counts. 3- Put arms on either side of a chair back, hold for 100 counts. Can you guess which leg exercises I borrowed from for these?

I didn't work out today, totally wore myself out on Monday and Tuesday. I *needed* a day off. But, I did my arm thingys yesterday and plan to do them from now to the end of February when I work out. I'll report back at the end of the month on if I see any difference. I don't have a huge jiggle factor with my arms (but I fear getting my mother's arms someday), but maybe we'll see if doing any of this will reduce it?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevaboo
Lol, Zorra. My peach still needs a little work, but I'm looking more peachy and less pear-ish all the time. And I say the more, the merrier. So far, it's looking like just three of us for the month, but that may change.

I'm always amazed at how quickly I feel/see the results - so why don't I stick with it?
Quote:
BTW, are you a "Pinky and the Brain" fan? Just a guess from your entry after 'Plan'. You can guess whether I am from that question!

:high five: I did love Animaniacs especially those little rats - and I am such a nutzo because my favorite clip was actually the Goodfeathers on the Regis Philbin statue - and they kept singing "Reeeeegis Philbin, Reeeeegis Phibin" - and I don't know why I find it so funny!!

Quote:
I'm just wondering why Callan never came up with any arm exercises. All I can think to do are these three. 1- Arms straight out to the side and pulse up and down 1/4-1/2 inch for 100 counts. 2- Arms straight to the side and bent , pulse forward and backward for 100 counts. 3-

I hear that a lot - she does seem to focus much more on the "beehind" and thighs.

Quote:
Put arms on either side of a chair back, hold for 100 counts. Can you guess which leg exercises I borrowed from for these?

Squeeze!! Don't break the chair!! I was deathly afraid I would break the legs off my chair after doing the thigh ones!

Quote:
I didn't work out today, totally wore myself out on Monday and Tuesday. I *needed* a day off. But, I did my arm thingys yesterday and plan to do them from now to the end of February when I work out. I'll report back at the end of the month on if I see any difference. I don't have a huge jiggle factor with my arms (but I fear getting my mother's arms someday), but maybe we'll see if doing any of this will reduce it?

I've just been doing a separate upper body workout too - to make up for some of the "arm exercise negligence!"

About Super Callanetics: it's funny because the 10 in 10 book was much harder than the 10 in 10 DvD...many of the exercises from the 10 in 10 book are actually on the Super Call. DvD. There is one were you are seated - legs out like a V - holding on to the bar - and you have to lift your legs up off the floor and then bring them together and then back out. OMG. Worst quad pain ever!

Got my hour in yesterday 2 of 13.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorra_1
About Super Callanetics: it's funny because the 10 in 10 book was much harder than the 10 in 10 DvD...many of the exercises from the 10 in 10 book are actually on the Super Call. DvD. There is one were you are seated - legs out like a V - holding on to the bar - and you have to lift your legs up off the floor and then bring them together and then back out. OMG. Worst quad pain ever!

So, *that's* where the evil Open & Close from AM/PM Callanetics comes from. I thought I was doing well, none of the major difficulty doing 10 in 10 anymore, but when I started AM/PM and she threw that at me, OUCHIE! I've never gotten my legs up in the air like she does. I've never even gotten them straight!

BTW, I absolutely loved Animaniacs! I'd forgotten Pinky & Brain got their start there. Sadly, my four year old doesn't appreciate it as much as I do. It was worth a try, though.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 12:09

Quote:
So, *that's* where the evil Open & Close from AM/PM Callanetics comes from. I thought I was doing well, none of the major difficulty doing 10 in 10 anymore, but when I started AM/PM and she threw that at me, OUCHIE! I've never gotten my legs up in the air like she does. I've never even gotten them straight!

I don't think I could sit without collapsing after the first hour! Oh my! Thinking I'll stick with the 10-in-10 DvD for a few months before I'm bold enough to try the Super Callanetics.

Quote:
BTW, I absolutely loved Animaniacs! I'd forgotten Pinky & Brain got their start there. Sadly, my four year old doesn't appreciate it as much as I do. It was worth a try, though.

Whuuut?! Was does a 4 year old like to watch these days?? I loved David the Gnome, Eureka's Castle, and just about everything on Nickelodeon!

Got my 3rd hour in yesterday. This ALWAYS happens to me; the first hour or so is tough but not terrible. A few hours later it's like I've never done this before and the soreness hits!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 13:04

My 4yo watches Dora and SpongeBob. And Curious George. She watches most of her TV in the car on the way to and from church and school. And when my husband is watching her. Every Saturday morning, he watches the kids so I can sleep in. Actually, Sony and Dish Network watch the kids. He's just there to break up fights.

I don't know when I'm going to brave SuperC. I figure I'll evaluate in May. That'll be when I've been at this for half a year. Maybe I can handle it then? Thanks for reminding me, though. I've been meaning to look for a free download, so I can judge when I'm ready to buy. (I hate paying for anything without previewing it first, and no Callanetics on Netflix, so...)
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 16:25

Quote:
My 4yo watches Dora and SpongeBob. And Curious George. She watches most of her TV in the car on the way to and from church and school. And when my husband is watching her. Every Saturday morning, he watches the kids so I can sleep in. Actually, Sony and Dish Network watch the kids. He's just there to break up fights.

My mom tells everyone that MTV was my babysitter! A little risque but I it..when they actually used to play music videos!

Quote:
I don't know when I'm going to brave SuperC. I figure I'll evaluate in May. That'll be when I've been at this for half a year. Maybe I can handle it then? Thanks for reminding me, though. I've been meaning to look for a free download, so I can judge when I'm ready to buy. (I hate paying for anything without previewing it first, and no Callanetics on Netflix, so...)

I really wanted to see the Hips/Bum one, but I'm concerned it's just a compilation of all the exercises I know.

I'm curious about how often you do Callanetics? Are you at that maintenance mark of 2 hours a week she mentioned in one of the books?? I need to do my fourth hour before dinner (otherwise my excuse will be "I'm too full" )
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 19:54

Right now, I"m aiming for about four times a week. I haven't done it yet today, after having taken the entire weekend off. But I ate a huge dinner earlier, and I'm just feeling too stuffed. Even if my stomach doesn't calm down, I can just change my days from M-T, T-F to T-W, F-S. I just hate trying to fit it in on Wednesdays, since I've got a Bible study in the morning, kids in the afternoon, and church in the evening. I know I can put my 4 yo in front of the computer while my 2yo is napping, but I feel like such a self-centered mom when I do that. Or, I can do the thing I did and almost killed myself with once, two hours in one day (AM Callanetics followed by 10 in 10 while the kids are at preschool, then PM Callanetics before bed).

I must be older than you. I can remember when MTV first came out, back when they played music. It was the early 80's, I was in middle school, and, though I didn't catch the station's debut, I know all the words to Video Killed the Radio Star. Sad, I know. I used it to feed my insatiable hunger for the men (yes, men) I would marry, all but a solitary member of Duran Duran. Hey, I knew Andy Taylor might be disappointed that he didn't get to be married to us, lol, but a girl's got to have her standards, right? I just couldn't deal with the thought of that hair of his. I guess Simon, John, Nick and Roger are probably heartbroken that I'm married now. Although, I assume they're married by now, too, and maybe the new wives help ease the hearbreak...

You really shouldn't have brought up 80's MTV. Too many memories there for me. The sadness I felt when I realized that no member of Tears for Fears was good looking (or girly) enough to be part of the harem. (Let's face it. Any harem composed of members of Duran Duran was pretty girly-manish.) The weird sense of confidence I had from realizing that the clothes my mom picked out for me were more fashionable than anything Cyndi Lauper wore. Cheering on Hulk Hogan as he fought to save Cyndi's honor, the feeling that I was helping fight famine when I watched the "We Are the World" or "Do They Know It's Christmas?" videos...

Oh my, I really did waste my adolesence, didn't I? Oh well, so did all my friends. We were a pathetic group of 7th and 8th graders, but there were quite a few of us. Sadly enough.
------------

Completely unrelated, but more along the lines of what I've been talking about with my arms and Callanetics not doing it for them. Have you ever heard of T-tapp? I'm thinking of trying to check it out, seeing if there's a free torrent out there somewhere. Maybe that'll fill in the gap for me? My making up my own exercises doesn't feel really effective, and I hate to waste my time!

Last edited by Bevaboo : Mon, Feb-09-09 at 20:10.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 18:06

Thank goodness this thread is here because I was seriously considering NOT doing the workout tonight! But I didn't want to stumble in here a few days later to admit it! So I'm off to do my fifth hour. Yay half way to 10 in 10!

Quote:
Right now, I"m aiming for about four times a week. I haven't done it yet today, after having taken the entire weekend off. But I ate a huge dinner earlier, and I'm just feeling too stuffed. Even if my stomach doesn't calm down, I can just change my days from M-T, T-F to T-W, F-S. I just hate trying to fit it in on Wednesdays, since I've got a Bible study in the morning, kids in the afternoon, and church in the evening.

I think I like your M-T, T-F schedule there. I do find that I can stick to it better during the week for some reason. Too many excuses on the weekend not to do it!
Quote:
I know I can put my 4 yo in front of the computer while my 2yo is napping, but I feel like such a self-centered mom when I do that.

I think you deserve an hour break with Callan!
Quote:
Or, I can do the thing I did and almost killed myself with once, two hours in one day (AM Callanetics followed by 10 in 10 while the kids are at preschool, then PM Callanetics before bed).

I'd have to do that before a vacation because I would need the week to recover!
Quote:
I must be older than you. I can remember when MTV first came out, back when they played music. It was the early 80's, I was in middle school, and, though I didn't catch the station's debut, I know all the words to Video Killed the Radio Star. Sad, I know. I used it to feed my insatiable hunger for the men (yes, men) I would marry, all but a solitary member of Duran Duran. Hey, I knew Andy Taylor might be disappointed that he didn't get to be married to us, lol, but a girl's got to have her standards, right? I just couldn't deal with the thought of that hair of his. I guess Simon, John, Nick and Roger are probably heartbroken that I'm married now. Although, I assume they're married by now, too, and maybe the new wives help ease the hearbreak...

Bev my dear, it looks like you made a great decision declining Taylor's offers...look at what you'd be waking up to every morning...

Quote:
You really shouldn't have brought up 80's MTV. Too many memories there for me. The sadness I felt when I realized that no member of Tears for Fears was good looking (or girly) enough to be part of the harem. (Let's face it. Any harem composed of members of Duran Duran was pretty girly-manish.) The weird sense of confidence I had from realizing that the clothes my mom picked out for me were more fashionable than anything Cyndi Lauper wore. Cheering on Hulk Hogan as he fought to save Cyndi's honor, the feeling that I was helping fight famine when I watched the "We Are the World" or "Do They Know It's Christmas?" videos...

I was a wee-tot in the early 80s but I love everything 80s! In fact, I'd love to run out and get a perm and tease the daylights out of it and shellac it with some of my favorite White Rain hairspray! Like totally!
Quote:
Oh my, I really did waste my adolesence, didn't I? Oh well, so did all my friends. We were a pathetic group of 7th and 8th graders, but there were quite a few of us. Sadly enough.

Never!!!!!
Quote:
Completely unrelated, but more along the lines of what I've been talking about with my arms and Callanetics not doing it for them. Have you ever heard of T-tapp? I'm thinking of trying to check it out, seeing if there's a free torrent out there somewhere. Maybe that'll fill in the gap for me? My making up my own exercises doesn't feel really effective, and I hate to waste my time!

I have!! Went to her site a few weeks ago and watched some sample thing and it looked like my pace too. I'm beginning to amass quite the collection of workout videos!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 20:13

Omigosh! JT has really gone downhill, hasn't he? I had no idea. I had heard the original band was getting back together, but I had no clue they'd be even more pathetic than a Culture Club reunion would be. Ok, I'm just going to tell myself it was the angle of the picture.

It doesn't look like John is dealing too well with his heartbreak over me getting married. Actually, my cousin bought one of his solo albums once, and we had a fantastic night listening to it. We had a bottle of wine, but we didn't need it. It was one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard!

Oh man, I had the longest Callanetics workout in the history of the universe today. I started working out about 10:00, realized at 10:15 that I had to leave in 15 minutes for my daughters' Valentine's parties. So, I stopped, went to school for the parties (although I was very active, basically running across campus from one party to another from 11:00 - 12:15), came home, fixed lunch for them, warmed up again, broke up a fight, turned on the TV, Bent Knee Reaches, stopped them from jumping on my bed, banished them to the living room, right side single leg raise, banished them again, left side single leg raise, put my 2yo down for her nap, explained to her sister that she couldn't go outside because a very bad storm was coming, Double Leg Raise, Pelvic Wave (as my oldest questioned, "Why you doing that? You're silly, Mommy!"), did my barre leg stuff, stopped Audrey from hurting herself trying to imitate me, put Dora on TV, did the butt/thigh exercises, told Audrey that if she was going to be in my room, she needed to read a book or play with her computer instead of trying to exercise, did my stretches, got Audrey down from jumping on the bed again, led her to the living room, returned to my room and locked the door and finished.

My husband got home from work a few minutes later. I told him I'd been trying to do Callanetics all day and he joked, "You must really be getting fit!" I told him he was in charge of getting dinner ready.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 17:30

Working on hour 7 (I think) - got 6 in Friday.

Quote:
Omigosh! JT has really gone downhill, hasn't he? I had no idea. I had heard the original band was getting back together, but I had no clue they'd be even more pathetic than a Culture Club reunion would be. Ok, I'm just going to tell myself it was the angle of the picture.

I guesssss, years of drug and alcohol abuse catch up to you...eventually! (or so their tell-all suggests!!)
Quote:
It doesn't look like John is dealing too well with his heartbreak over me getting married. Actually, my cousin bought one of his solo albums once, and we had a fantastic night listening to it. We had a bottle of wine, but we didn't need it. It was one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard!

OK, so now you've got me intrigued!!

Quote:
My husband got home from work a few minutes later. I told him I'd been trying to do Callanetics all day and he joked, "You must really be getting fit!" I told him he was in charge of getting dinner ready.

My sessions don't last THAT long but I usually do the warm up and abs in the morning and then do the lower body before bed...but it is nice that if interrupted, it doesn't derail my entire workout plan.