Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Do you think this might be the right stuff?

If you look at the description with the make-up of the product, most of it is Latinized German and the words are pretty much the same as in English, it's from an equine supplier, but seems to be used instead of salt to melt ice. It just struck me that it is also in 25kg bags like you mentioned!

Here's the link:

http://www.stroeh.de/s/shop/artikel...-25kg-Tuete.htm

amanda
I'm sure that would be fine.
The advantage magnesium chloride has over salt for deicing near your house is it is not so toxic for the plants near your drive/path.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: Uhhh ... South Beach?
Stats: 152/152/135 Female 5ft. 7in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Three cheers for Magnesium!

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I started experimenting with the D3 again (out of sheer determination or desperation ... you pick). Your recommendation of magnesium was right on! I am amazed at the clarity that comes from dosing the magnesium with the vitamin D. I went ahead and threw in some Chromium GTF at the recommendation of Zule on the "vitamin D experiment" thread. I got my levels checked today for magnesium and BOTH vitamin D tests (because the nurse thought it was one test and I told her it was the other) as well as about 7 other tests (I'm kinda broken). I am curious about the tests, but I am going to stick to my current plan and keep listening to my body. I will also keep listening to my "friends" here too! Sometimes personal experience is more valuable than all of the blood tests in the world!

Thanks again!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 01:50

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meistro
Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I started experimenting with the D3 again (out of sheer determination or desperation ... you pick). Your recommendation of magnesium was right on! I am amazed at the clarity that comes from dosing the magnesium with the vitamin D. I went ahead and threw in some Chromium GTF at the recommendation of Zule on the "vitamin D experiment" thread. I got my levels checked today for magnesium and BOTH vitamin D tests (because the nurse thought it was one test and I told her it was the other) as well as about 7 other tests (I'm kinda broken). I am curious about the tests, but I am going to stick to my current plan and keep listening to my body. I will also keep listening to my "friends" here too! Sometimes personal experience is more valuable than all of the blood tests in the world!

Thanks again!

You're more than welcome for the feedback and magnesium tips! I kept checking this thread and wondered if you were reading what we had written because you hadn't dropped in for ages. It is very good to know that what we said wasn't in vain.

I am very glad I got the Mary Eades book on vitamins and minerals. That was where I got most of the information from. However, don't stop there if you want to get info about magnesium: there's a thread going in the Nutritional Supplements subforum about magnesium on this forum that you might want to check out, too. Hutchinson has posted some really good links to other people who know a lot about magnesium - a veritable mine of information they are, too! You won't know where to stop.

And, the Vit D3 also increases intestinal absorption of magnesium, so even though I only take the "crappy" magnesium oxide (along with CoQ10 and L-Carnitine, but at different times of day), it still seems to be doing me some good. I am going to look into magnesium taurate as that has taurine in it which is also heart healthy.

The blood test for magnesium, as I may have mentioned, won't tell you much about your cellular and bone levels of magnesium, so you would be doing the best possible thing if you listen to your body: you'll start to feel the difference pretty soon, I would guess.

Good luck with resolving your health issues!

amanda
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 01:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I'm sure that would be fine.
The advantage magnesium chloride has over salt for deicing near your house is it is not so toxic for the plants near your drive/path.

And this is the stuff that you dump in your bath, too?

Is it good enough to drink as a solution as well, or would you not recommend that? I can't imagine that something meant for de-icing would be "pure" enough to use as an oral medication.

amanda
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 01:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meistro
Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I started experimenting with the D3 again (out of sheer determination or desperation ... you pick). Your recommendation of magnesium was right on! I am amazed at the clarity that comes from dosing the magnesium with the vitamin D. Thanks again!

Here's the thread about magnesium:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=390032

amanda
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 03:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
And this is the stuff that you dump in your bath, too?

Is it good enough to drink as a solution as well, or would you not recommend that? I can't imagine that something meant for de-icing would be "pure" enough to use as an oral medication.

amanda
Depends if it the grade that is suitable for putting in water for livestock or horses to drink? If you can give it to animals then it's probably OK for humans. This site has instructions for dissolving it in water as you don't use that much it may be better to ask you local dispensing chemist if you can buy pharmaceutical grade Magnesium chloride for this purpose but I suspect dead sea salt is dead sea salts.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Uhhh ... South Beach?
Stats: 152/152/135 Female 5ft. 7in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Amanda and Hutch for the magnesium info. I think I must have read part of that thread before because I have read some of those links.

I have this nagging fear of Epsom Salts and its seems ridiculous, but its something I came across on some page somewhere in my research. I read about a man getting some horrible skin condition from soaking his feet in an Epsom Bath repeatedly. I know its silly, and I will do a little more info seeking (I am very unfamiliar with Epsom) and try it out soon.

Thanks!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:26

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
On an LC diet, you must either eat beef bone broth regularly to get more magnesium, or supplement. A lot of foods which are high in magnesium are also high in carbs (oats, dried fruit etc).

Sorry to rant, but magnesium is one of my fave subjects!

Go on as much as you like! I'm very interested in magnesium.

Is beef broth the only one that has magnesium? Not chicken, pork, or fish broth?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

Chicken stock has magnesium

Pork stock

Fish Stock

I think Beef stock is the one that most quoted because you get so much marrow from beef bones, in the UK it's possible to scrounge marrow bones for free from butchers. Animal Pharm has a good article here makes you realise why people thought that giving people who were sick home made chicken soup was a good idea.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Feb-11-09 at 12:54.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

"Try bathing (late) in Epsom Salts: that will give you good magnesium uptake (I haven't tried it, but they say it's good!). Otherwise just take supplements at night."

2 questions:
How do you know how much you are getting by bathing in it?
Why does she say to bath "late" or take supplements "at night"?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 13:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
The only way of knowing would be to have tests before and after.

Bathing in a magnesium-rich Dead Sea salt solution improves skin barrier function, enhances skin hydration, and reduces inflammation in atopic dry skin. shows that this isn't all in the mind.

Quote:
because magnesium works as a relaxant, so many people want to use it to prevent/reduce bruxism (tooth grinding/jawclenching) but it also helps anyone deal with stress, particularly noise stress so for someone who has to work in a noisy environment it may be a good idea. Many people find it helps them get a better nights sleep.

I take my magnesium supplements 2 morning and 2 evening. But I also have Dead Sea Salt bath once a week.

Farmers give it to pigs to calm them down.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 13:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Thank you for the answers. I was reading more at some of the links already posted. From one of those I gather that I have to be sure it's magnessium chloride. Is that correct?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 13:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I think Beef stock is the one that most quoted because you get so much marrow from beef bones, in the UK it's possible to scrounge marrow bones for free from butchers.

Unfortunately, marrow bones have gone gourmet in Philly so I don't think I'll be getting any for free. But I can get them from the butcher for reasonably cheap.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 14:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Go on as much as you like! I'm very interested in magnesium.

Is beef broth the only one that has magnesium? Not chicken, pork, or fish broth?

I was just quoting what I'd read in "Nourishing Traditions". Sally Fallon says the magnesium in beef is the "most usable" or something like that. But you have to do this soaking in vinegar thing first, to draw out the minerals, and so far, I have always forgotten to do this!!! GRRRR.

Next time, I swear, I will get out the book and do it properly. I can't get marrow bones for free, but they're dirt cheap. The beef bones are really meaty and I fish them out and cut the meat off to make a cheap beef and veggies soup. I leave as much fat on the meat as possible and then nobody else will eat it apart from me - I love it!

Good to know that other meats will have the same effect.

amanda
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
"Try bathing (late) in Epsom Salts: that will give you good magnesium uptake (I haven't tried it, but they say it's good!). Otherwise just take supplements at night."

2 questions:

Hi Catsrus!

I don't bite! You can ask me personally next time if you want to know why I wrote something! I really don't mind!

Just hit the quote button and I'll see that you want to ask something about what I wrote (or do the same with anyone else's posts). The quote will appear in a grey box automatically.

A bath in Epsom Salts will apparently make you "sleep like a baby" so that's why I said bathe in it at night. For the same reasons as Hutchinson outlines, I take my magnesium at night. I have sometime woken up with my jaw clenched, so I hope that taking magnesium at night might stop me from doing this by relaxing the muscles.

amanda