Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 15:58

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Thanks Cap

I was actually sick for a week and then went tent camping ..3000 mile long road trip ..no plan no real money just the NEED to go away!!! Death Valley btw is beautiful this time of year! and now I am back in the real world

Yes the steer are neutered males yes most beef is steer ..the young boys become the meat because cows have babies and give milk ...

you can eat young cows and they would be great too but they do not put on weight like the steers do and besides they are more important if they are producing ...old bulls and old cows can be burger are usually retired to pet food or something worse
this is why I buy meat like I do because I know how they are raised first hand ..
a young grassfed steer hung for 21 days is perfect beef in my opinion the flavor is to die for and this one was very fatty

I think I will make one low carb pate next week and then some liver sausage ..that will be it for me and liver for a while

we are going to have a BBQ this summer and do all parts of our steer so hopefully the pate is a success that would be a nice app! the heart I can deal with I slice it paper thin toss together a Korean marinade and then grill it on skewers
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 20:30

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

We have some friends who love heart. They offered to come over and show me how to cut it up.

I've been experimenting with pork trim - the butcher gave me some pork "fat" that had a lot of meat on it again. I put it in a ziplock bag with salt, pepper and sauerkraut last week and tossed it in the fridge.

I got it out tonight. I soaked it briefly in two changes of water. It had a sulfurous smell. I drained it, dried it off, and fried it. It tasted better than usual, but it still had a sulphurous quality. I wonder if there's anything I could have done about that - more soaking? longer curing? Hanging it out to dry?
  #78   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 07:04

I have to be honest and say I do not LOVE heart ..but it is good when it is well marinated and grilled I think...as for the proke I justdont know Cap! I cook kraut with pork all the time but never soaked it and the idea of a "sulferous smell" in meat is just not working for me!

my solution to everything if you think the meat is ok to eat and still has good flavor grind it up and make sausage ...maybe more seasoning!

I am waiting for the salmon to come in (I buy from out tribe as they haul in their run) but I still have another month then I am going to make some lox ...

I am still eating and enjoying purple kimchi! I have a jar of regular napa in there as well
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 06:00

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

Does anyone have a good corned or pickled beef tongue recipe?
Of course, I would like to do it w/o sugar if possible. If not how about any tongue recipe? this is probably my favorite organ meat, but I can't seem to make it at home as I have trouble figuring out how to get the skin off and trim the gristle around the base.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 16:47

Not yet, but I have some friends coming over soon who are going to show me how to make tongue. I will try to let you know.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-09, 01:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

My family used to do beef tongue quite regularly; I recall it being boiled (simmered, says my grownup cook's brain, avoid toughening), then chilled, "peeled" (the cooking seems to loosen some of the connections), literally, then chilled and sliced, eaten as a sandwich meat, with a sprinkling of salt. Quite yummy.

Because it's such a well used and therefore tough muscle, it's probably the very best way to deal with it. Be sure to slice across the grain.

We did the same thing with the big beef livers, too. Boiled, chilled, thin sliced and salted on bread. Ah, those were the days.

I'm pretty much 99.9% Dutch heritage, btw.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 10:01

On July 13 (three weeks ago) I made a batch of kimchi with anchovies in it. I had bought a big glass jar of anchovies and then dropped it, so I had to do something with them right away. It was something like this:

Green cabbage
grated carrots
grated ginger
grated radish
parsley
chili pepper flakes
anchovies
salt
sauerkraut juice

I sealed them up and in a few days they started to smell horrible. I took that as a good sign.

Yesterday I opened a jar. It tasted like kimchi all right! I don't think it was quite as good as what I've made before, though, and there was a bit of an odd flavor. I think I probably kept it a little too warm, and maybe too much ginger. I put it in the fridge, hoping that would even out the flavor.

And as I have been told would happen, the anchovies were nowhere to be found. Completely dissolved.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 11:36

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

This is such an interesting thread - I can't believe I haven't come across it before. Anyway, I am a big fan of making my own sausage and am dying for a smoker so I can do bacon and such. You guys are a little hard core with the feet though! Can't wait to read more of your ideas. I will post pics of my sausage the next time I make it - I just made 10 lbs though, so I'm probably set for a while.

BTW, Capmikee, did you ever figure out how to cook beef short ribs? I have a couple of good recipes, but in general I like them browned and braised - the connective tissue and fat gets all melty and unctuous and the meat just falls apart. Awesome. I also like them cut thin (Korean-style or "flanken") and marinated in something spicy, then grilled quickly.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 11:47

I heard that short ribs can be used to make hot dogs. If I get them again, I'll probably make some kind of sausage.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 12:30

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

I have ground up short ribs before to make burgers - they are good, but it's kind of an expensive cut (at least around here) to use for burgers. I've been using brisket lately and it makes terrific burgers - you just have to make sure to get a brisket with all the fat attached.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 13:43

Hi there ...been a while since I have visited

my garden is keeping me very busy and I have been eating all kinds of wonderful things from it ...it is time however to get down to business as I have used all but the last pound of my own bacon and the last of our sausage and there is only one hamhock in the freezer ..sigh where does time go?

Cap my husband is going to buy me an actual kimchi crock ..we saw some beautiful ones at a local Korean market and I drooled and begged him "honey some women want flowers others want baubles ...please if you are ever in the mood to suck up to me buy me my own kimchi crock" he asked me how to choose one and I showed him how to tap the inside to listen and make sure the sound is even all the way around ...and now I will wait and act surprised when he gets it for me!

I am still looking on craigslist for a used fridge to hang duck procuitto and sausage in or just get a new one and then move mine out into the garage to use for this effort ..when you cure all your own meat it does matter and I will never get all the smoke essence out of my fridge so maybe it is time just to buy a new one

I am ordering a pig and a lamb this coming week and have plenty of happy raised beef in the freezer

ALSMEZ I agree with you! and only use good cuts of meat for grinding and grind all my own burgers ..it DOES matter to me! I think that a great burger is right up there on the scale of any great meat dish and if done right is very delightful to eat!

I figure the trade off with food is that you give up crapfood and spend your time and money on wonderful food so even though sometimes the investment seems high at the moment ..in the end it comes out better for you in terms of health..happiness and sustainablity!

so anyone else got the bug to smoke cure or pickle? I have green tomatoes going now one of my favorites just salt and dill! I always am asked "omg give me the recipe for your pickles and kraut" and when I say salt people laugh and say "no really"

yes really salt works wonders for food!
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 06:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

when you guys make Kimchi do you used the dried anchovies? I am guessing those would be awesome. Maybe some dried shrimp too.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 09:48

I bet they would. This is the first time I tried it, and I used anchovies packed in oil. Unfortunately, because of the breakage, I had to rinse out a lot of the oil, and I'm sure some of the fish oil was lost with it.

I've identified the weirdness in the kimchi. It's a bit Vaseline-like, which suggests to me that something did happen with the oils.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 12:46

I used whole dried anchovies and grind them up ..and yes sometimes anchovie powder or sometimes dried shrimp powder both add a nice touch to the kimchi