Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 14:41
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Martin -what is your evidence that NTD's are due to low-fat, high-carb diets and not folate? I'd really like to see what you're basing this opinion on please.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 14:51

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Gosh, this is fun!

amanda
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 14:52

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Really? I nodded off pages ago. Short attention span ya know
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 14:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Based on what? Based on your assumption because "it is said..." rather than it is known or shown or understood? Come on Martin - would you seriously consider telling someone that it's perfectly fine to wean your child to an exclusive diet of just pemmican because "it is said...."?

I don't need to assume anything. "It is said" is a manner of speaking. I said it to mean I read it but I don't see the need to refer to the texts. Then I saw no alternative but to point you to the texts because again you got on my case over something I said.

There's an argument that is used all the time by the proponents of the low fat, high carb diet. It goes something like this. Not because a low carb diet improves health parameters on the short term that it is healthy on the long term. You used precisely this argument here in this thread but applied to the zero carb diet. The argument is fallacious. It implies that somehow even though a low carb is good in the short term (just like the low fat, high carb diet is to reduce weight) it's bad on the long term for all kinds of reasons like saturated fat is bad for us, and we need carbs and we don't get enough nutrients, etc. All of these fallacies have been refuted ad nauseam.

If I concede that the Inuit eat fruits in season, it implies that they don't eat it out of season which means they eat an exclusive all meat diet for the rest of the year which is probably 8 or 9 months. Yet they don't develop deficiency of any kind during this period. If I'm not mistaken, deficiencies develop very quickly. Quickly enough that 8 or 9 months on a deficient diet would have a significant effect. This is shown with the semi-starvation study. This refutes the argument that an exclusive all meat diet will at some point cause deficiencies. If it had the potential to do so, it would have done so already.

At this point, we don't have to show that the Inuit ate an all meat diet. Instead, we have to show that an all meat diet causes deficiencies at all. Since there is no evidence of this in any text that I'm aware of, then I can only conclude that an all meat diet doesn't cause deficiencies whatsoever. If anything, an all meat diet reverses deficiencies like scurvy i.e. it cures whatever symptoms and returns a human to good health.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:00

BF:

Quote:
Martin -what is your evidence that NTD's are due to low-fat, high-carb diets and not folate? I'd really like to see what you're basing this
opinion on please.

I didn't say that. I said that a folate deficiency is probably caused by a high carb, low fat, restricted calorie diet. The folate/NTD is an association. I made another association by hypothesizing that since the SAD causes so many deficiencies, it might as well cause a folate deficiency thus it might as well be associated with NTD too. There is not a single disease that I'm aware of where the SAD is not involved in some way.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:18

BF:

Quote:
You need to define "all meat" - which animal or animals? Which parts of the animal(s)? Are you eating everything or only select parts?

This is something that those who rely on Steffanson often overlook - the totality of the diet, in the context of season and a lifetime.....the Inuit do not eat only one animal their entire life, they do not exclude ALL plants, nor do they consume everything raw or everything cooked.....they have tradition and over generations have learned what works and what doesn't and, like many other traditional societies, when you look at the overall diet, it is nutrient-dense.....because they don't rely on only one animal type, or shunning the parts we're not fond of, or passing up opportunities as they come (ie. berries in season). We're omnivores, not carnivores Martin....and we're, at the end of the day, opportunistic apex predators, hunters, gatherers....we eat a lot of different things in different places and times and you can't extrapolate one population's dietary habits to another, different, place.....ie. no use telling those on island that cocount oil should be avoided, they should consume seal oil instead - it doesn't work and that's actually the beauty of being human - we can and do survive and thrive on a variety of different dietary approaches IF ---- and this is the important IF ---- we have the nutrient-density within the context of the diet.

All meat means exclusively meat. Which part of the animal is of no consequence since muscle meat alone is enough. Also, I know of no instance where we ate only the liver or the heart nor that organ meat was the major part of some diet, for example. In all instances, it's either all muscle meat or muscle meat with some organ meat. However it's important to note that there must be enough fat otherwise protein becomes toxic.

Which animal to eat is also of little consequence. Animal flesh would be any ruminants, game meat, fowl, fish, maybe even eggs. It all depends, depended historically, on where we lived and which animals we had access to. I have access to all kinds of meat but I prefer beef. In other words, the Inuit ate the fish and seal and plains Indians ate the buffalo because that's what they had access to.

It says nothing about what's in those animals. But it says that whatever is in them be it fish seal or buffalo is enough.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:20
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I don't need to assume anything. "It is said" is a manner of speaking. I said it to mean I read it but I don't see the need to refer to the texts. Then I saw no alternative but to point you to the texts because again you got on my case over something I said.

There's an argument that is used all the time by the proponents of the low fat, high carb diet. It goes something like this. Not because a low carb diet improves health parameters on the short term that it is healthy on the long term. You used precisely this argument here in this thread but applied to the zero carb diet. The argument is fallacious. It implies that somehow even though a low carb is good in the short term (just like the low fat, high carb diet is to reduce weight) it's bad on the long term for all kinds of reasons like saturated fat is bad for us, and we need carbs and we don't get enough nutrients, etc. All of these fallacies have been refuted ad nauseam.

Your logic here is flawed - I've already stated, quite clearly, that on an all-meat diet it is possible to meet and exceed all nutrient requirements, just as I also noted, care needs to be taken to do that.....if you're not living in or lived within a traditional culture, you're hard pressed to fully grasp the nuanaces of the dietary habits of a population as divrse as the Inuit. I've repeated it many times - the Inuit did not consume only one animal to the exclusion of all others and they did not all have the same dietary patterns, save for, if you look at each, they were all nutrient-dense at the micronutrient level no matter what the macronutrient ratios were!

Quote:
If I concede that the Inuit eat fruits in season, it implies that they don't eat it out of season which means they eat an exclusive all meat diet for the rest of the year which is probably 8 or 9 months. Yet they don't develop deficiency of any kind during this period. If I'm not mistaken, deficiencies develop very quickly. Quickly enough that 8 or 9 months on a deficient diet would have a significant effect. This is shown with the semi-starvation study.

Deficiency presenting with overt symptoms totally depends on the nutrient in question - one can go years, sometimes as long as a decade, without ever consuming even a hint of vitamin B12.....it's one of the nutrients we store at good levels, so even a long-term deficiency of the nutrient will not present quickly as deficiency - but along the way, yes, by way of lab values, you could pick up declining reserves and/or declining levels that will lead to the point where overt symptoms present - and by that point, it's sometimes irreversible.

But then there are nutrients we are effectively recycling and have metabolic processes to conserve depending on nutritional conditions.....we adapted during feasts and famines Martin, we're quite good at getting by for a good period without dying even in the face of semi-starvation. The folate cycle is a good example.....for the most part, we do need a steady intake of folate to work the folate cycle (which includes B12, B6, choline, betaine and B2 in the mix) to maintain homocysteine levels.....without adequate folate, will we die quickly? Probably not - our homocysteine will rise and in time begin to wreck havoc, but again, over years, not months.....and depending on your genetic profile related to the folate cycle, you could go years or months - it totally depends on your enzyme levels present based on your genetics in this regard.

Deficiency in something like amino acids presents fairly quickly - go months without, oh, lycine and you'll start to present with issues due to protein deficiency. Some nutrients, like vitamin C, tend to be heavily dependent upon context of the diet - and our ability to utilize something like L-dehydroascorbic acid (vitamin C's oxidized form that won't pop on tests for vitamin C content).

So your contention that "This refutes the argument that an exclusive all meat diet will at some point cause deficiencies. If it had the potential to do so, it would have done so already." is wishful thinking at best - you simply are taking that chance, which is fine - it's your body, you do with it what you wish - because there is no hard data supporting your belief that eating just meat and fat is sufficient - there is no population of record that shunned out the organs, eyeballs, reproductive organs, kidneys, liver, etc. -- populations that relied and rely on mostly animals consume the entire animal, not just the muscle and fat.

Quote:
At this point, we don't have to show that the Inuit ate an all meat diet. Instead, we have to show that an all meat diet causes deficiencies at all. Since there is no evidence of this in any text that I'm aware of, then I can only conclude that an all meat diet doesn't cause deficiencies whatsoever. If anything, an all meat diet reverses deficiencies like scurvy i.e. it cures whatever symptoms and returns a human to good health.

Again - define an all-meat diet.....what does it contain specifically and what does it exclude, if anything?
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:22

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!

Quote:
CRON is flawed no matter how we look at it. It's flawed on a high carb diet, it's flawed on a zero carb diet. We are hyperphagic by nature. Restricting total caloric intake with a high fat, zero carb diet is akin to inviting nutritional deficiencies however less so than with a high carb diet because of the inherent effect of carb on existing nutrients. We are hyperphagic during the day because of the sleep period especially. Cutting total calories means to cut calories below our actual needs. Optimal nutrition explicitly includes fuel and thus total calories. As a consequence, optimal nutrition is impossible to achieve. Therefore you can eat CR or ON but not both. Choose wisely.

Based on the above nonsense, one can only conclude that your concept of Optimal Nutrition must be washing down your evening martinis with bottles of beer.

Bo
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:22
Contrarian

Quote:
All meat means exclusively meat. Which part of the animal is of no consequence since muscle meat alone is enough. Also, I know of no instance where we ate only the liver or the heart nor that organ meat was the major part of some diet, for example. In all instances, it's either all muscle meat or muscle meat with some organ meat. However it's important to note that there must be enough fat otherwise protein becomes toxic.

Which animal to eat is also of little consequence. Animal flesh would be any ruminants, game meat, fowl, fish, maybe even eggs. It all depends, depended historically, on where we lived and which animals we had access to. I have access to all kinds of meat but I prefer beef. In other words, the Inuit ate the fish and seal and plains Indians ate the buffalo because that's what they had access to.

It says nothing about what's in those animals. But it says that whatever is in them be it fish seal or buffalo is enough.

I never said nor suggested that only organ meats were consumed - it is the entire animal that is consumed and that includes organ meats, eyeballs, bone marrow, bones in broth, etc.

But here you are contending that one can abandon that tradition and consume only the flesh and fat - tossing aside the organs, brains, bone marrow, bones and such - and be just fine? What population can you point to where this is the way of life? Isn't that sort of like throwing out the yolk in an egg? Why would any population do that when hunting the animal down is reason enough to not discard any edible part?
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:26
Contrarian

Quote:
I didn't say that. I said that a folate deficiency is probably caused by a high carb, low fat, restricted calorie diet. The folate/NTD is an association. I made another association by hypothesizing that since the SAD causes so many deficiencies, it might as well cause a folate deficiency thus it might as well be associated with NTD too. There is not a single disease that I'm aware of where the SAD is not involved in some way.

You seriously need to do some reading - you have no clue about NTD's and are, at worst, speculating rather than actually taking the time to read up and remotely begin to look at the cause-effect of nutrients in the development of NTD's.....it's not the fat content of the diet, nor the carbohydrate per se.....and it certainly isn't, at this point, an association by hypothesis.

Really Martin - go read, then we'll discuss....because you might just be shocked by the prevalence, incidence and populations most likely to be affected....somethign you can't begin to understand unless you've taken the time to read more.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:31
Contrarian

Quote:

Martin, it's almost as if you're stuck on this idea that you can pick and choose what you prefer and all will be well because any and all animals are comparable at the end of the day.....that if you want to consume some liver, cool - if not, no worries there; if you want to make some bone broth or not, it doesn't matter - the flesh and fat will sustain you in perfect health, with or without the rest of the animal.

Yet, if you look at every last traditional culture out there that relied heavily on animals - it's clear they consumed a variety of animals they had access to, they consumed every last bit of the animal and even went so far as to gouge into the skull to get the brains, break open bones to get the marrow and have ritualistic practices around the consumption of particular parts, like the reproductive system of an animal.

You can't really think (or can you) - that you can somehow extrapolate the generations of experience with a traditional diet, and its nuances, and modify it to simply be reduced to flesh and fat - really no more than eating just ground beef for the rest of your life --- and think that's going to provide all you need nutritionally? Do you really believe that?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:36

BF:

Quote:
[...]
This is something that those who rely on Steffanson often overlook - the totality of the diet, in the context of season and a lifetime.....the Inuit do not eat only one animal their entire life, they do not exclude ALL plants, nor do they consume everything raw or everything cooked.....they have tradition and over generations have learned what works and what doesn't and, like many other traditional societies, when you look at the overall diet, it is nutrient-dense.....because they don't rely on only one animal type, or shunning the parts we're not fond of, or passing up opportunities as they come (ie. berries in season). We're omnivores, not carnivores Martin....and we're, at the end of the day, opportunistic apex predators, hunters, gatherers....we eat a lot of different things in different places and times and you can't extrapolate one population's dietary habits to another, different, place.....ie. no use telling those on island that cocount oil should be avoided, they should consume seal oil instead - it doesn't work and that's actually the beauty of being human - we can and do survive and thrive on a variety of different dietary approaches IF ---- and this is the important IF ---- we have the nutrient-density within the context of the diet.

Variety is an argument made possible by agriculture and transport. Without agriculture and transport, we eat what's there and sometimes all we eat is buffalo or fish or seal for long periods. If those things were deficient in some essential nutrient, deficiencies would develop quickly enough for those periods to have a significant effect. Since we don't develop deficiencies over any length of time, then we can only conclude that whatever is in those things is enough. The variety argument is refuted.

It's impossible to show that we are omnivores but it is possible to show that we are opportunistic. It's impossible to show that we are omnivores because we would have to show that eating only meat causes deficiencies. All that's left is to show that we are opportunistic. That's easy: We eat what's available.

A case can be made that we are carnivore by simply extrapolating the evidence of carbohydrate effects on humans. More is worse, less is better. Therefore, none is perfect. There is no reason to think otherwise. For instance, we can't extrapolate that more than none is perfect since nobody reacts the same way to the same dose of carbohydrate. For all we know, there could be people out there who react by dying on the spot if they eat just one gram of carbohydrate. The point is that there is no middle ground in favor of carbohydrate. It's either we think it's food then any amount is OK or we think it's poisonous then no amount is ever OK. The evidence weighs heavily against carbohydrate and by extrapolation in favor of an all meat diet.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:38

BF:

Quote:
[...]
You can't really think (or can you) - that you can somehow extrapolate the generations of experience with a traditional diet, and its nuances, and modify it to simply be reduced to flesh and fat - really no more than eating just ground beef for the rest of your life --- and think that's going to provide all you need nutritionally? Do you really believe that?

Quit making baseless allusions to my personality, please. I don't do it to you. Let's keep this civil.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
Based on the above nonsense, one can only conclude that your concept of Optimal Nutrition must be washing down your evening martinis with bottles of beer.

Bo

I'd like to know in which way you think it is nonsense. Then maybe I could clarify so that it quits being nonsense to you.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 15:48

BF:

Quote:
Your logic here is flawed
[...]

Again - define an all-meat diet.....what does it contain specifically and what does it exclude, if anything?

I did define an all meat diet but you disagree. My logic is impeccable if I say so myself. But you disagree. All the nutrients you mentioned, vitamin C, B12, amino acids, they're all in fresh meat. Hardly shows that an all meat diet has the potential to cause deficiencies.
Closed Thread