Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 15:23

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Interesting tidbit on the Vitamind D issue

I was tested again, and found out, even with taking approx 1,500 iu a day, my D has dropped down to 29.

So, I'm now on prescription 50,000 iu a week.

Just 6 mos ago, it was at 52. I imagine this has to do with time of year, but was nonplussed to see this theory clearly proven.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 15:41

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Huh, that's dramatic.

50,000 ius? I would have to take 50 vitamin D pills a day to make that!! I wonder how many hours of sunlight one thousand ius translates into.

Anybody have info on that?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 15:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

How do I go about getting my vitamin D tested?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 16:23
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbug2
Huh, that's dramatic.

50,000 ius? I would have to take 50 vitamin D pills a day to make that!! I wonder how many hours of sunlight one thousand ius translates into.

Anybody have info on that?
In the noon day sun your body can make 20,000 IUs of vitamin D in 30 minutes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 16:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

50,000 iu a week is well under the known safe dose of 10,000 iu a day.

Also, if it is prescription, it is terrible stuff. It isn't D3, it is D2 and it doesn't convert well at all. You'd be better off throwing the prescription away and buying it from a health food store. Make sure it is cholecaliferol, not ergocaliferol.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
I was tested again, and found out, even with taking approx 1,500 iu a day, my D has dropped down to 29.

So, I'm now on prescription 50,000 iu a week.

Just 6 mos ago, it was at 52. I imagine this has to do with time of year, but was nonplussed to see this theory clearly proven.
Prescription D2 is unreliable and may be totally ineffective. The Case against Ergocalciferol as a vitamin supplement
You would be [better off taking one of these once a week.

Your body needs around 5000iu/daily . If you are currently breast feeding then it would be better to take 6400iu/daily to be certain sure you are passing D3 to your baby through your milk.
It is only when we get above that level that the body stores surplus D3 for winter use.

Given FULL BODY sun exposure (or as near too as you dare) your skin generates around 1000iu every 5 mins if you are laying down not standing and your shadow is shorter than your height (indicating the angle of the sun is such that UVB penetrates the upper atmosphere and reaches the ground.
Providing you ensure you DO NOT BURN (that destroys the D3) and carefully alternate short sun sessions with periods allowing your skin to cool and the D3 to be absorbed, your body can generate up to 50,000iu/daily. That is why it is safe to give people a 50,000iu supplement. It is an amount we know the body can handle. But that is the exception. 10~20000iu is a more reasonable expectation for a day on the beach. Bear in mind that when they measured Outdoor workers in Omaha on average, over the year, they only acquired 2800iu/daily when it was averaged out. So if outdoors workers (yes they probably worked with their working clothes on, not naked) only make that amount spending all day outdoors it is unlikely that the average persons casual sun exposure will get significantly more. That is why we find that for the average Wisconsin woman it takes 5000iu/daily and the average Wisconsin man requires 6000iu/daily to reach 150nmol/l 60ng.

Although a 50,000iu/d3 daily would get you around that level because d2 is LESS EFFECTIVE it is unlikely to achieve the same effect. Dr Davis has reported finding one of his patients had been taking 50,000iu DAILY for over a year and still had LOW vitamin d status. Some people just cannot utilise the D2 version at all.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 13:26

Thanks, I ddin't realize it's D2. I'll ask the dr about that. This may explain why it doesn't have the same bad side effects that taking hte over the counter D3 has on me (stomach issues and irritablity).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 04:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Thanks, I ddin't realize it's D2. I'll ask the dr about that. This may explain why it doesn't have the same bad side effects that taking hte over the counter D3 has on me (stomach issues and irritablity).
Sure if it's not being absorbed it will pass straight through.
It sounds like there is something in the tablets you have been taking that doesn't agree with you. It is unlikely you would be allergic to something biologically identical to the D3 your skin makes in such huge quantities.

These Carlsons 4000iu/oil gel capsules would probably be better according to Dr Davis of heartscanblog. as they are already dissolved in oil. Code ~~~~~~ gets you a $5 introductory discount.

these are what I have been using but as I always take my morning D3 with my fried breakfast I have plenty of fat available to absorb the D3.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 06:21

Thanks, Hutchinson. I already did try the oil caps. And actually, come to think of it, that is exactly the way the D3 makes me feel...the same way I feel if I've had too much sun! Interesting comparison.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are some people who have some issues with D3... I forget what it is called vitamin D sensitivity or something? There's one person who posted about getting quite sick on gel cap D3 supplements but they did ok on "purified" vitamin D3. I wonder if they mean lanolin based ones? Like Bio-Tech. I get their 5000 iu and I'm taking 2 daily right now.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 08:18

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I am using a version of Vit D3 which I get from a British company (recommended by Hutchinson). It is an emulsion, which you just squeeze out onto a spoon and then lick off. They told me that one drop (about the size of a brown lentil) is 2,000 IUs, so I have 2 drops in the morning before breakfast. I haven't noticed any GI issues. Maybe because this is also in a fatty emulsion, it is better absorbed.

And I have felt much more mentally alert since taking it - it's amazing, like a kind of fog has lifted! And I feel more balanced and less prone to feeling panicky or that things are getting out of control. For that side-effect alone, the stuff is worth taking!

I shall get my levels tested in three months.

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 12:35

Hmm...perhaps I shold try something different. I tried the oil caps and opened them up and put them on my tongue so they wouldn't go directly to my stomach and for the first two days it was fine, but then, I guess once it got in my system? , I started having hte same GI issues.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 13:01
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some people have had GI problems with the oil gel capsules because they use soy oil in them. Maybe you should check that?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 13:53

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
50,000 iu a week is well under the known safe dose of 10,000 iu a day.

Also, if it is prescription, it is terrible stuff. It isn't D3, it is D2 and it doesn't convert well at all. You'd be better off throwing the prescription away and buying it from a health food store. Make sure it is cholecaliferol, not ergocaliferol.

This is not true for all of us. I took the script for 9 months-50,000 IU's twice a week. My level of Vitamin D was very low a 4-lab ranges for low normal are 20-30 at the lab my endo uses. I took the script and my levels are in the normal range and suffered no ill health effects from it. I feel better and like a new person since getting my levels straightened out. I also took CLO before and during the time I took the script.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
This is not true for all of us. I took the script for 9 months-50,000 IU's twice a week. My level of Vitamin D was very low a 4-lab ranges for low normal are 20-30 at the lab my endo uses. I took the script and my levels are in the normal range and suffered no ill health effects from it. I feel better and like a new person since getting my levels straightened out. I also took CLO before and during the time I took the script.
but you were taking 100000iu a week averaging 14285iu/daily.

As D2 is about a third less efficient as D3 you would have had the same effect with about 10,000iu of D3/d or one of these ever 5 days.

The point is that using D2 is a way of Big pharma ripping off medical insurance companies In my view health professionals should always put the best interests of patients and not big pharma first.

The amount of Vitamin D in CLO is too little to make a significant impact on Vitamin D status. For the active hormone to operate at maximum velocity it each circulating 25(OH)D molecule has to have a available a back up Vitamin D3 molecule. As we only start to store D3 above 100nmol/l 40ng and stores are only significant over 125nmol/l 50ng/ml any level below that is less than ideal. each 1000iu/daily of D3 raises status 10ng or 25nmol/l. A circulating 25(OH)D status therefore requires a daily intake of around 5000iu to be maintained. If you can't account for your daily 5000iu then you are probably Vitamin D3 insufficient.