Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 03:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Nigeepoo is now writing about his experience of his mother's Alzheimer's progression.

Dr Briffa has also a recent post that will interest those with an interest in avoiding Alzheimer's.

This link
Alzheimer’s Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed leads to a very interesting (full text online) review of whether Alzheimer's can reasonably be considered Diabetes Type 3.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 11:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 240/220/200 Male 72
BF:Pffft!
Progress: 50%

Just a minor point. Mum has Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB) rather than Alzheimer's Disease (AD). They are similar (in that they are both ultimately fatal) but there is more variation & hallucinations with DLB. Also, administering neuroleptics to people with DLB can prove fatal.

According to NINDS:-

"There are no known therapies to stop or slow (or reverse) the progression of DLB." My words in bold.

Also from NINDS:-

"Currently there are no medicines that can slow, (stop or reverse) the progression of AD." My words in bold.

I don't think so!
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 06:56

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Some points to consider from Dr. Fortanasce to help begin the prevention of Alzheimer's:

* Eat more fruits and vegetables
* Eat berries daily
* Eat fish high in omega-3 fatty acids
* Take a folic acid supplement or eat foods high in folate: green leafy vegetables, asparagus, oranges, eggs, legumes, fortified cereal
* Drink a glass of red wine or purple grape juice with your evening meal
* Follow a Mediterranean-style diet
* Control your blood pressure
* Have strong social support

Much of the above is inconsistent with low-carb eating. I'm trying to sort throught this now. Difficult to reconcile low-carb eating with an anti-Alzheimer diet. Numerous studies indeed associate lower incidence of dementia with the Mediterranean diet.

-Steve
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 10:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wish I'd known about this when my father was suffering from dementia.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 18:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wish I'd known about this when my father was suffering from dementia.

Great article! And for one an article that seems rather thorough, and not totally dismissive of ketosis. It was interesting though that Dr. Newport realized the primary ingredient of this new (and undoubtedly expensive) drug being developed by Big Pharma was derived from coconut oil. Wow, now there is a novel idea? Why not just take the coconut oil? Luckily Dr. Newport did reach that conclusion. Early onset Alzheimer's is an awful disease. It doesn't say how old her husband is, but she is 56, and he looks a similar age. And his symptoms began *6 years ago*. Scary. My mom was only in her mid-50s when she began her own decline into dementia. Of course I could probably never have gotten her to take coconut oil. I sure can't get my dad to do anything like take cocnut oil - and he lives on a diet probably more than 50% comprised of white flour and sugar. And while, at 81, he still lives on his own - he is increasingly a bit forgetful, unsteady in his walking, blue and depressed.

I can't help but feel a change in diet would make a big difference for me, but with me 550 miles away I know it will never happen.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 03:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Of course I could probably never have gotten her to take coconut oil. I sure can't get my dad to do anything like take cocnut oil - and he lives on a diet probably more than 50% comprised of white flour and sugar. And while, at 81, he still lives on his own - he is increasingly a bit forgetful, unsteady in his walking, blue and depressed.

I can't help but feel a change in diet would make a big difference for me, but with me 550 miles away I know it will never happen.
One of the things that struck me when I watch the videos here at The Alzhiemer's Project was the way those with Alzheimer's seem addicted to sugar and refined carbs.
I'm afraid I shouted at the PC monitor when I watched this one in particular
Featuring: Suzanne Craft unfortunately they have removed my comment from below.

Dr Newport's website is here for anyone wanting to follow up that story.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 11:56
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

My parents always ate a fairly healthy diet until their 70's, then it seems like they decided to throw in the towel and eat whatever. That's about when they started going to Denny's ever week for breakfast and Dad would have an enormous stack of pancakes with syrup. Ugh. Their health declined from that point on pretty quickly, although they lived until 85 & 86. But it was really my Father's mental competency that faded pretty quickly.

My sister and I debated whether or not we should intervene in their diet but by that time their mental abilities were so much worse we didn't think they had the capacity to understand why the diet changes were necessary or be able to adhere to it.

It is frustrating!
  #98   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 04:48
Registered Member

BF:

Dr Mary Newport update on husband

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part I This is the first of a series of six You Tube Video's that are worth watching.

As it's hard to find cheap MCT oil in the UK here is a
Source of MCT oil for UK readers Because it is packed in a PLASTIC as opposed to glass bottle it's now possible to get it sent air mail at $4 shipping. Iherb discount ~~~~~~ saves $5.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 12:17
Experimenter

BF:

Wow, nice to hear there are some interesting new treatments being tested. Might need them for my sister... she's showing signs.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 12:31

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Great article! And for one an article that seems rather thorough, and not totally dismissive of ketosis. It was interesting though that Dr. Newport realized the primary ingredient of this new (and undoubtedly expensive) drug being developed by Big Pharma was derived from coconut oil. Wow, now there is a novel idea? Why not just take the coconut oil? Luckily Dr. Newport did reach that conclusion. Early onset Alzheimer's is an awful disease. It doesn't say how old her husband is, but she is 56, and he looks a similar age. And his symptoms began *6 years ago*. Scary. My mom was only in her mid-50s when she began her own decline into dementia. Of course I could probably never have gotten her to take coconut oil. I sure can't get my dad to do anything like take cocnut oil - and he lives on a diet probably more than 50% comprised of white flour and sugar. And while, at 81, he still lives on his own - he is increasingly a bit forgetful, unsteady in his walking, blue and depressed.

He was about 50 when the first symptoms began. He used to be an accountant, doing the accounts for his wife's practice, and at some point it became obvious that he could no longer handle the job.

What is so amazing about this story, though, is her unwavering love for her husband.

amanda
  #101   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 13:19

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
My parents always ate a fairly healthy diet until their 70's, then it seems like they decided to throw in the towel and eat whatever. That's about when they started going to Denny's ever week for breakfast and Dad would have an enormous stack of pancakes with syrup. Ugh. Their health declined from that point on pretty quickly, although they lived until 85 & 86. But it was really my Father's mental competency that faded pretty quickly.

My sister and I debated whether or not we should intervene in their diet but by that time their mental abilities were so much worse we didn't think they had the capacity to understand why the diet changes were necessary or be able to adhere to it.

It is frustrating!

I can remember my grandmother saying in her 70's "food is the only comfort I have left." She had always been very careful with her diet, had a more "traditional" diet and was very healthy for many years. But at some point I think she figured she was closer to the end (and living alone), so why bother eating that way? She started eating more sugar and carbs (although not a huge amount). Just a few years later she had a few micro-strokes and dementia. I can't help believing that if she had kept to her WOE she may not have had the strokes, and her final years would have been much better for her (and the rest of us). This was several years ago, so I didn't know about the difference food could make -- but you do wonder. I really miss that wonderful woman.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 18:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I wish that I had begun reading this thread a long time ago. If you look on my before and after pictures, you will see me pictured with a really cool guitarist by the name of Billy Mclaughlin. Billy has suffered from focal dystonia for over 10 years which is why he is playing the guitar lefthanded. His brain will not send signals to 2 fingers in his right hand. Billy retired from music for a while. In the meantime, he retrained or should I say, relearned the guitar as a lefthanded player.The second I learned about Billy's ordeal LC just cliked in my head. I have been writing to him about LC for a couple of years but took a step back to keep from getting on his nerves. Billy is now the spokesman of the National Dystonia Foundation. There was a PBS documentary made about his journey called "Changing Keys". I strongly feel that LC and vitamin D are at the root of healing for him.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 03:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default Vitamin B 'puts off Alzheimer's

Vitamin B 'puts off Alzheimer's
Quote:
A new study suggests high doses of B vitamins may halve the rate of brain shrinkage in older people experiencing some of the warning signs of Alzheimer's disease.

Brain shrinkage is one of the symptoms of mild cognitive impairment, which often leads to dementia.

Researchers say this could be the first step towards finding a way to delay the onset of Alzheimer's.

Experts said the findings were important but more research was needed.

The study, published in the journal Public Library of Science One, looked at 168 elderly people experiencing levels of mental decline known as mild cognitive impairment.

This condition, marked by mild memory lapses and language problems, is beyond what can be explained by normal ageing and can be a precursor to Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

Half of the volunteers were given a daily tablet containing levels of the B vitamins folate, B6 and B12 well above the recommended daily amount. The other half were given a placebo.

After two years, the rate at which their brains had shrunk was measured.

The average brain shrinks at a rate of 0.5% a year after the age of 60. The brains of those with mild cognitive impairment shrink twice as fast. Alzheimer's patients have brain shrinkage of 2.5% a year.

The team, from the Oxford Project to investigate Memory and Ageing (Optima), found that on average, in those taking vitamin supplements, brain shrinkage slowed by 30%.

John Hough: "You become more forgetful and annoyed with yourself"
In some cases it slowed by more than 50%, making their brain atrophy no worse than that of people without cognitive impairment.

These vitamins are doing something to the brain structure - they're protecting it, and that's very important because we need to protect the brain to prevent Alzheimer's”

Professor David Smith
Oxford University
The study authors believe it was the B vitamins' effect on levels of homocysteine that helped slow the rate of brain shrinkage.

The study author, Professor David Smith, said the results were more significant than he had expected.

"It's a bigger effect than anyone could have predicted," he said, "and it's telling us something biological.

"These vitamins are doing something to the brain structure - they're protecting it, and that's very important because we need to protect the brain to prevent Alzheimer's."

He said more research was now needed to see whether high doses of B vitamins actually prevented the development of Alzheimer's in people with mild cognitive impairment.

The Alzheimer's Research Trust, which co-funded the study, also called for further investigation.

"These are very important results, with B vitamins now showing a prospect of protecting some people from Alzheimer's in old age," said chief executive Rebecca Wood.

"The strong findings must inspire an expanded trial to follow people expected to develop Alzheimer's."

B vitamins are found naturally in many foods, including meat, fish, eggs and green vegetables.

Experts are advising against taking higher than recommended levels in the light of these findings.

Chris Kennard, chair of the Medical Research Council's Neurosciences and Mental Health Board, said: "We must be cautious when recommending supplements like vitamin B as there are separate health risks if taken in too high doses.

"Further research is required before we can recommend the supplement as a treatment for neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's."

There is a short video at the above link.
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 03:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default Lowering by B Vitamins Slows the Rate of Accelerated Brain Atrophy in Mild Cognitive

Homocysteine-Lowering by B Vitamins Slows the Rate of Accelerated Brain Atrophy in Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Randomized Controlled Trial
Quote:
Abstract
Background

An increased rate of brain atrophy is often observed in older subjects, in particular those who suffer from cognitive decline. Homocysteine is a risk factor for brain atrophy, cognitive impairment and dementia. Plasma concentrations of homocysteine can be lowered by dietary administration of B vitamins.

Objective
To determine whether supplementation with B vitamins that lower levels of plasma total homocysteine can slow the rate of brain atrophy in subjects with mild cognitive impairment in a randomised controlled trial (VITACOG, ISRCTN 94410159).

Methods and Findings
Single-center, randomized, double-blind controlled trial of high-dose folic acid, vitamins B6 and B12 in 271 individuals (of 646 screened) over 70 y old with mild cognitive impairment. A subset (187) volunteered to have cranial MRI scans at the start and finish of the study. Participants were randomly assigned to two groups of equal size, one treated with folic acid (0.8 mg/d), vitamin B12 (0.5 mg/d) and vitamin B6 (20 mg/d), the other with placebo; treatment was for 24 months. The main outcome measure was the change in the rate of atrophy of the whole brain assessed by serial volumetric MRI scans.

Results
A total of 168 participants (85 in active treatment group; 83 receiving placebo) completed the MRI section of the trial. The mean rate of brain atrophy per year was 0.76% [95% CI, 0.63–0.90] in the active treatment group and 1.08% [0.94–1.22] in the placebo group (P = 0.001). The treatment response was related to baseline homocysteine levels: the rate of atrophy in participants with homocysteine >13 µmol/L was 53% lower in the active treatment group (P = 0.001). A greater rate of atrophy was associated with a lower final cognitive test scores. There was no difference in serious adverse events according to treatment category.

Conclusions and Significance
The accelerated rate of brain atrophy in elderly with mild cognitive impairment can be slowed by treatment with homocysteine-lowering B vitamins. Sixteen percent of those over 70 y old have mild cognitive impairment and half of these develop Alzheimer's disease. Since accelerated brain atrophy is a characteristic of subjects with mild cognitive impairment who convert to Alzheimer's disease, trials are needed to see if the same treatment will delay the development of Alzheimer's disease.

The full text of the article is online and free at the above link.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 03:14
Registered Member

BF:

From the above study we see
Quote:
The treatment group received oral TrioBe Plus® (Meda AB/Recip AB, Box 906, Pipers väg 2A, SE-170 09 Solna, Sweden) containing 0.8 mg folic acid, 0.5 mg cyanocobalamin and 20 mg pyridoxine HCl,

I've only done a quick google search and can't find a source for that particular blend.

However this selection is similar.

Now Foods, B-6 Pyridoxine HCl, 50 mg, 100 Tablets
Quote:
Because the half-life of pyridoxine is 15-20 days and it is not significantly bound to plasma proteins, and the limited stores may be depleted within two to six weeks on a pyridoxin-free diet, a daily supply is required. Excess pyridoxine is excreted in the urine.

Now Foods, Methyl B-12, 1000 mcg, 100 Lozenges

This form of B12 is regarded as the best absorbed and therefore an improvement on the type used in the study.
It is double the amount used more about
More about Vitamin B12 here from which you see
Quote:
Safety

Large intakes of vitamin B12 from food or supplements have caused no toxicity in healthy people. No adverse effects have been reported from single oral doses as high as 100 mg and chronic administration of 1 mg (500 times the RDA) weekly for up to 5 years. Moreover, there have been no reports of carcinogenic or mutagenic properties, and studies to date indicate no teratogenic potential. The main food safety authorities have not set a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin B12 because of its low toxicity.

Now Foods, Folic Acid with Vitamin B-12, 800 mcg, 250 Tablets
The B12 in this form while the same as in the study (but just half the study amount) is not well absorbed so taking one of the above Methyl B-12 once weekly will make up the deficit and be more likely to be used.
More on Folic acid
This is exactly as used in the study.
The links provided to examples go to IHERB because their shipping to UK is cheapest.The total cost is $14.94 and that provides a longer supply than using a Vitamin B complex and I haven't actually (only spent a short time searching) found an exact equivalent Vit B complex to match the study. Introductory code ~~~~~~ saves $5 at IHERB.

Don't forget this isn't to say that correcting vitamin D, omega 3 and magnesium deficiency status won't also improve brain function as all three work as anti inflammatory agents in the brain. So please don't take the results of this study to ditch those and convert to vitamin B complex alone.
Mercola has a reasonable article on strategies to reduce Alzheimer risk so you can cover all options.

Edit:
I should perhaps add that those study participants who prior to and during the study, used a multivitamin, showed no change from the extra provided during the study, so, if you are already taking a multivitamin adding the above may not make any difference at all. However note the difference between the form B12 used and the one I suggest. That may make a difference.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Thu, Sep-09-10 at 05:46.