Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-09, 04:17

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I think I'll have my aubergines Madhur Jaffrey style today - with added cayenne pepper and turmeric on them! Delish!

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-09, 01:49

BF:

Just found this on Google Health News. The fact that "rogue proteins" seem to be involved in this process again makes me more convinced than ever that supplementing with proteolytic enzymes, such as serrapeptase or other kinds of proteolytic enzymes, may help to reduce the spread of these proteins.

If proteolytic enzymes are able to "spot", so to speak, protein matter in our bodies which does not "belong" there, and then break it up and dispose of it, then they may well be in a position to do so in our brains. If I remember rightly, one of the articles I posted on this thread said that these enzymes actually pass the blood-brain barrier.

amanda

Mice injected with Alzheimer's cast new light on dementia

Alok Jha guardian.co.uk, Sunday 7 June 2009 19.11 BST

Scientists have found that harmful tangles of proteins that cause diseases such as Alzheimer's can be transmitted from one brain to another, spreading and causing damage after being injected into the brains of mice. The researchers stressed, however, that Alzheimer's was not contagious and said it could not be caught, for example, through blood transfusions.

Alzheimer's and similar neurodegenerative diseases can be caused by the build-up in the brain of tangled masses of a type of protein called tau. They destroy brain function and, when they damage large amounts of tissue, can lead to dementia.

In experiments on mice, researchers found that the tau tangles could spread in the brain, as though they were an infectious agent, and be injected in tissue from the brain of an affected mouse into the brain of a healthy one. The research is published tomorrow in the journal Nature Cell Biology, and gives scientists a much better idea of how to target therapies for neurodegenerative diseases.

Michel Goedert of the Medical Research Council's Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, who took part in the study, said the work opened up new avenues in understanding and allowing scientists to experiment with the causes of dementia.

"This research in mice does not show that tau pathology is contagious or it can spread easily from mouse to mouse – what it has revealed is how tau tangles spread within brain tissues of individual mice," he said. "It suggests that tangles of proteins that build up in the brain to cause symptoms could have some contagious properties within brain tissue but not between mice that haven't been injected with tissue from another mouse and certainly not between people." Though they are also bits of protein, tau tangles do transmit in the same way as prions, the proteins that cause diseases such as vCJD and mad cow disease by destroying brain tissue, because they cannot be passed easily between individuals.

Rebecca Wood, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, said: "This greater understanding of how tangles spread in Alzheimer's may lead to new ways of stopping them and defeating the disease." Abnormal tangles build up in the brain during Alzheimer's and other diseases of the brain. It's not clear how that happens - but it is clear that Alzheimer's itself is not contagious. We desperately need more research like this to find answers to dementia, a cruel condition that affects 700,000 people in the UK."

There is still much unknown about the changes in tau protein that lead to tangle formation in humans and, eventually, widespread brain cell death. But

Susanne Sorensen, head of research at the Alzheimer's Society, said: "Each new piece of knowledge helps build a better picture and takes us closer to the point where we can stop loss of brain tissue and dementia for good."
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

#79   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 07:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Alzheimer's and Tau Protein
Quote:
This report on the "spreadable" nature of Alzheimers within the brain is in New Scientist and came to me via Glyn Wainwright on the THINCS forum. It's interesting in it's own right but I rather liked the related paper it linked to about the "contagious" nature of misfolded Tau proteins.

I think it would be reasonable to summarise the abstract as claiming that Tau proteins are non pathogenic structural proteins present inside, and essential to, normal nerve cells. Tau protein aggregates, which are abnormal products, "are observed" outside cells. My assumption is that, as healthy Tau are normally intracellular proteins, they have to be either excreted or exocytosed. Or the cell has to die to released them, before they can be found outside cells. The latter seems the more believable option.

Placing healthy monomer Tau proteins outside neuronal cells in culture does nothing. Placing Tau aggregates outside cells promotes endocytosis of those aggregates and, once endocytosed, the aggregates are directly toxic ("induce fibrillization") to the normal intracellular structural Tau. When this cell then dies it too will release it's abnormal Tau aggregates, which will go on to kill further recipient cells.

More at the link... interesting!
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Alzheimer's and Tau Protein

More at the link... interesting!
The worrying thing to me is that if the Tau theory is right then it's likely the amyloid theory is wrong and at the moment most of our research is amyloid based so researchers will be wanting to justify current research budgets rather than risk starting on a totally different tack and writing off past work.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-09, 18:07
Experimenter

BF:

#82   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 07:01

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Isn't this much like the treatment of heart disease? They are so focused on the cholesterol, they are ignoring the real cause?
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 06:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dietary Arachidonic Acid Increases Risk of Parkinson's Disease

Dietary Arachidonic Acid Increases Risk of Parkinson's Disease
Quote:
Bottomline: A case-control study indicates that eating higher levels of arachidonic acid, the omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid, increases the risk of Parkinson's Disease. J Neurological Sciences (2009).

Background: Parkinson's disease is a progressive movement disorder of the nervous system, that worsens over time, for which there is no cure. Fatty acids play a critical role in brain function. Previous case control studies indicate an association between eating animal fat and Parkinson's disease. Arachidonic acid is the omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid, which is found in animal fats including, meats, poultry and eggs.

Autopsies show significantly high levels of an arachidonic acid-derived compound, called isofurans, in a key brain region of deceased Parkinson's patients. This region of the brain, called the substantia nigra, is located in the midbrain, and its degeneration is implicated in Parkinson's disease.

Study: Patients who were diagnosed with Parkinson's disease (249 cases), were matched with 368 controls. Diets were evaluated using a diet history questionnaire, and the data were analyzed based on quartile intakes. (Potential confounding factors were also evaluated including, vitamin E, alcohol and body mass index).

Arachidonic acid was significantly related to an increased risk of Parkinson's disease, with a signifiant positive linear trend. Men in the highest quartile of arachidonic acid intake had nearly three times the risk for Parkinson's disease, compared to the lowest quartile intake. While, women had a two-fold increase risk, compared to the lowest quartile consumption of arachidonic acid.

Interestingly, there was a positive relationship between cholesterol intake and Parkinson's disease.

Quote:"High arachidonic acid consumption could increase the risk of Parkinson's disease via an inflammatory process."

Comment: The average arachidonic acid consumed in the highest quartile was greater than 171 milligrams/day. To put that into perspective, 3-ounces of dark meat turkey, without the skin, contains 220 milligrams of arachidonic acid. To get more information on arachidonic acid in foods see: How Much Arachidonic Acid in Meats and Poultry? The Free Omega-6 Fat Tracker Widget

Link to Study:
Miyake Y, et al, Dietary fat intake and risk of Parkinson's disease: A case-control study in Japan. J Neurol Sci (2009),
doi:10.1016/j.jns.2009.09.021
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 10:12

BF:

Why do chicken and turkey have to be so high in omega 6? Grrrrr

Beef...it's what's for dinner I guess :P
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 10:14
Experimenter

BF:

IMHO it isn't the O-6 in meat you have to worry about. Most people are getting tons of O-6 in the packaged foods, salad dressings, and oils they buy and those of us who don't indulge in those things don't.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 13:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Why do chicken and turkey have to be so high in omega 6? Grrrrr

Beef...it's what's for dinner I guess :P
They are grain fed.
Chicken now has more fat than red meat

Last edited by Hutchinson : Mon, Oct-26-09 at 13:47.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 13:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
IMHO it isn't the O-6 in meat you have to worry about. Most people are getting tons of O-6 in the packaged foods, salad dressings, and oils they buy and those of us who don't indulge in those things don't.
USA are up a ratio of about 20 omega 6<>1 omega 3 UK is now 10 Omega 6 <> 1 omega 3.
The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats in the diet is probably around 1:1 to 4:1.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-09, 14:40

BF:

Quote:
They are grain fed.
Chicken now has more fat than red meat
I guess I am going to have to learn to process my own ducks. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BE SO CUTE!?!
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-09, 03:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I guess I am going to have to learn to process my own ducks. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BE SO CUTE!?!

It's difficult to imagine eating a being that you knew on first-name terms...

I think you may just have to source some organic chicken and earn some more money (organic chicken here in Germany costs a little more than prime Belugan caviar per ounce...).

amanda
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-09, 03:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
It's difficult to imagine eating a being that you knew on first-name terms...

I think you may just have to source some organic chicken and earn some more money (organic chicken here in Germany costs a little more than prime Belugan caviar per ounce...).

amanda
You could always look for roadkill.
It's generally free range and providing you get there shortly after it's been run over you can soon see if it's worth eating.
We get plenty of pheasants this time of year and free rabbit is also sometimes on the menu. Keep hoping to find a deer.