Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 01:33

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Well, I can definitely say that LC WOA is the best for me and meno.
I guess I finished meno too (am 56, peri started about 52).
I got my last period a year ago December.
I began mild hot flashes about a year ago, about 5 a day but they calmed down to 1 a day when ever I got real serious with LC WOA.
Then, I added fairly maniacal exercise.
My hot flashes have vanished.
I noticed about 4 weeks ago I hadn't had one in a while.
Now all I got is meno-belly fat and fog brain.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 06:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/154/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I was having mild hot flashes about two or three years ago (I am just 50 now) but nothing since - as I have a mirena coil since the age of 38 and have one still in place I have not had periods for years so no idea whether they have stopped.

My mum suffered terribly during menopause with fainting fits, blood clots etc. and I am nervous of having the coil removed to find out if I have started menopause in case I follow her pattern. I really could not face going through what she went through - many a time I had to pick her up off the bathroom floor when she had fainted - it was pretty scary.

My sister, who is 48 next month is just start with really bad hot flashes - worse than mine were so I am unsure whether I have or haven't started - I dont want medication if I can avoid it.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 06:22
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
My periods began to be irregular when I was 50. Currently, I'm 52 and my periods are about 3-4 months apart and appear with no notice. I haven't had any noticeable symptoms of menopause. About once every 6 weeks, I get hot and flushed very fast, but I think this is a flush caused by the niacin that I take to raise HDL rather than caused by menopause.

I'm now 55 and the periods are coming 6-9 months apart with no notice. The last one was about 8 months ago. I hope it really was the last, but we shall see. I've had no other symptoms of menopause, except a few hot flashes (which finished about 2 years ago).

However, I do have more trouble losing fat from my waist/torso region now and less trouble losing it from my face and hips. My waist is thickening as I age. I'm very apple shaped and an insulin resistant type 2 diabetic.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 08:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, Carolyn... I'm 53 and my periods are 1-6 months apart. I was wondering how long this would go on but from reading what you wrote it looks like it could linger for years. They only started to get irregular last year.

No symptoms other than heart palpitations, but they're very annoying.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 20:07

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was 48 when the first hot flush hit. It was novel, we both laughed. The symptoms worsened and when hubby touches my waist or comes close in bed, I break into full blown heat and sweat.
Gradually symptoms went from bad to worse. I am now 53 and have just been put on the patch, which has relieved some symptoms.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 21:12

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Interesting thread. I've been peri-menopausal for years. 48 now. Didn't have TOM for about 6 months, then it hit the day after my hip replacement surgery a couple of years ago. A couple more round of hot flashes, just a couple of TOM per year, then it came to visit as I was trying to get on my first airplane in 3 years. I'd like to just be done with it. Good to read that pretty much everyone has low or no sex drive, I'm not the only one.

Last edited by wheeler : Tue, Dec-18-12 at 21:13. Reason: TMI
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 08:25

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

My periods started skipping at 54 and I had my last period (I hope) a year ago at 57 years old.

Didn't follow the family pattern though. My mom was only 36 years old when her periods stopped after the birth of her last child. And both my sister stopped in their early 40s.

I think I must take after my great-grandmother who had 13 children, six of whom were born after she remarried over 40, her last one born in her 50s.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 10:10
Experimenter

BF:

So... this is weird. I was about to toss out the tampons it had been a year or more since my last TOM, then they restarted. I've had two in a row! Just like I did before perimeno hit a couple years ago.

Anyone else have that happen?
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 11:08

BF:

I was almost two years without, and sure that it was over - and had another period. Then 6 months later another one. It's been just over a year now and I am still not sure I am done - at 58 years old!
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 11:30
Experimenter

BF:

All right. I guess I might be holding onto that "last" box of tampons for quite some time. LOL! I keep thinking "I'll never have to buy tampons again". That's about when I get my next period.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 11:36

BF:

My favourite tampon was discontinued, so I bought enough at the time to last me till I was thru menopause - I thought. I ran out of them long before!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 12:07

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

I kind of started in early fifties...didn't know what it was at first!
Hot flashes! Nothing severe. Mens stopped at 53. Than while eating good low-carb and particularly adding flaxmeal to diet...hot flashes over immediately. Every time I get off low carb and discontinue flax I start up again w sweats and hot flashes. I am 58 and done with it. No meds or hormones. Yay!
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 12:47

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

My periods stopped suddenly at 48 with no warning signs. I thought I was pregnant! They never came back. I had almost no signs of menopause except a thicker waist and a kind of surge in confidence. Don't know how to describe it accurately but it was empowering. I wasn't shy about speaking up any more, in business meetings I talked to men like an equal instead of deferring to them. A little extra testosterone or just "hag-wisdom"? I don't know which it was but I liked it and still do.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 13:45

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

hag-wisdom, I like that
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-13, 20:25

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF: