Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 18:06

Plan: Pregnant-Moderation
Stats: 157/195/000 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: -24%

Hi Ladies!

Mermaiden9, thanks so much for your prayers about amnio; i have goosebumps thinking of that and as much as I,m not religious, i am spiritual and to do believe that positive thoughts from far away, even from someone i don't know, can make a difference. SO thank-you.

Bella, this will be my first baby, but not my first pregnancy; i had a miscarriage (confirmed one day before 12 weeks) last May. IT is really exciting to experience each phase and i get more and more relaxed, as i pass each milestone. The flutters are so exciting, but are so slight, that i wonder if it is my heart or baby movements, but everyone seems to think it'S baby, which i love (thanks to all of you for ressaurances about that). TOday was really nice at work, bc suddenly i felt 3-4 flutters in a row and just while i sat at desk, not while lying down with hands on belly really focused on it. Felt so nice bc sometimes i get anxiety about risk of squishing baby from certain positions that cause pressure on stomach, but everyone seems to reassure that he/she is well protected.

Want2bskny, hope you get your appetite back soon and you get some good coping with stress.

Take care all,

Latté
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 18:23

Plan: Atkins/Meat & Egg
Stats: 218/159.2/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 71%

Latte~do you know what it is? Boy or Girl? I know what you mean about "flutters" its almost not fun, because you're not POSITIVE. I was in the bathtub when I felt my first KICK & was so excited. She loves the bath, weird...

All mom's...what are we all having? Boy or Girl?

I just did my glucose today...hope all is well.

Want2b~33 lbs in 32 weeks is not bad ~ all! good job.

I've gained 28 so far...and am in week 29. My weight is kinda jumping all over. Just this last thursday it was 194, but this morning it was 191. I'm not complaining, because it seems to be bouncing back & forth. Whatever! lol
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 20:05

BF:

Bella, i will know the sex with the amnio results, which I,m hoping will be tomorrow when i go for 21 week ultrasound at the same hospital. It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since amnio. THat is so nice about the first kick. I was in the bath too, speaking to baby when i felt first movement, which was like a big bubble bursting. You're having a girl?

Latté
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 09:32

BF:

Yes a little girl, we're naming her Addison Taylor She's already spoiled!

I failed my first 1 hr glucose test. Honestly, I knew I would. My dad had diabetes REALLY bad, i was 15-20 lbs overweight before i got pregnant, and I just had a feeling. I'd be surprised if I pass the 3-hr.

I'm kinda nervous now. I know I need to cut the carbs then almost altogether, but every book advises to AVOID ketosis all together when you're pregnant. How is that possible if I'm low-carbing? I'm confused
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Bella -I failed my first glucose for my 2nd child but just made it in the top of charts for my fasting blood. That was when I knew very little about low carbing.

As for ketosis, you will only be in ketosis if you drop your carbs to very low levels. If you just reduce them to lower levels you will be fine. Lets say, cut out sweets and maybe start the day with a lower carb breakfast and slowly add them throughout the day as your body adjusts. From my understanding, we are most sensitive in the morning.

The jury is out on the dangers of ketosis during pregnancy. The only studies done that I know of (and I could be wrong) was done on rats. It wouldn't be ethical to do it on real pregnant women IYKWIM so no one has done so. Some say it's safe and others say there is a risk to the developing brain.

Funny thing is ketosis is present during any weight loss as it's the body using fat for fuel rather than glucose. To me this would suggest that it couldn't be harmful as there are women in countries and situations that have no choice but to limit their food who would most certainly be in a state of ketosis at different times during their pregnancy. The human body is an amazing machine.

None the less, I'm like you, if there is any risk whatsoever to the health and well being of my unborn child, I will not test it.

If you have any concerns you can always test with keto sticks but if you're eating fruit and small servings of wholegrains you most certainly will not be in ketosis.

Latte - please keep us posted on your situation.

Want2Bskny - I hope all is well for you and your appetite has returned.

I had another ultrasound yesterday, they are keeping a close eye on me as I almost had a uterine rupture with my last baby.

Because this is my first boy after 3 girls, the sonographer found great amusement in handing my husband a picture of the baby's 'willie'. I now have proof!

I'm counting down now 7 weeks and 4 days to go - hurray
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 15:53

BF:

thanks!

7 weeks left? How exciting! I'm ~ 10 weeks & am very excited.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 17:48

BF:

Hi Girls!

Bella, sorry to hear about the glucose test. You really make me think of my situation since there are 3 people with diabetes in my family (on the side i tend to take after) and i started overweight and am eating lots of sweets - yikes. Been in conscious denial about it but it makes me worried. Addison Taylor is really nice name!

Still no amnio results; started to make me a little crazy yesterday, when i was at hospital and found out that they are still not ready at lab - had a nice little cry. But then got back to a positive outlook and feeling really really lucky, since we had a lot of reassurances yesterday. DId a 21 week ultrasound and they did tons of measurements and all was normal. Very reassuring bc they had not been able to see everything in heart and brain at 17 weeks, but now they could. So great, and was really special to see the baby moving around in there.

Mermaidan, glad to hear that they are keeping a close eye on you. Is all going well so far?

Good luck girls. OH, we still couldn'T find out sex bc baby had legs close together. Last time, they were crossed! SO this baby wants to surprise us! But we will find out with amnio.

Latté
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 12:16

BF:

That's kinda funny that you're little babe won't let you see! I bet it's a girl! lol, stubborn! I really hope I pass my 3 hr test, but I think either way this is a wake up call, I can't eat like a pig & not suffer from it. I don't want to get diabetes later in life either so, the time is now. Low carb is the only way to live life!
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 17:45

BF:

This is one of the best days of my life! Got the amnio results and all is normal!!!! SO relieved and thrilled! I can'T believe the day is really here. I almost called back to get them to repeat it again. And....it'S a girl! Very happy either way, but it'S fun that DH and i both thought it was a girl and many others thought boy.

Hope you are all well. Good point, Bella, about this being a wake-up call about your health - i get that. Good luck.

Latté
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 19:14

As I've already said in another thread, Yay, I'm so happy for you Latte..

Also congrats on having a girl. Have you decided on any names yet?
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 06:38

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LattéLover
This is one of the best days of my life! Got the amnio results and all is normal!!!!
So, So happy for you!!!
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 08:53

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Hi everyone. I finally moved home, well back to the United States. I close on my condo and can FINALLY start nesting. UGH!

Congratulations to all of you on your progress. I have been a very naughty low-carber because I'm living out of a suitcase. But my last trimester will show marked improvement.

Over and out ----
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 11:10

BF:

Latte~yah! Good deal. Names?

I go for my 3 hr test on Monday & am trying to eat good and lower carb this week. Well, i'm going to try to do it all month, but I'm going to take it one week ~ a time. So far I haven't gained any weight since last appointment on the 5th so I hope I can keep it up. I usually do good up until that week of the appointment! Go figure huh?

Am annoyed at night, can't get comfortable no matter what & am just not sleeping good!
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 14:45

Funny you should mention not sleeping well. I just got up from another night of mulitiple visits to the toilet and an ongoing struggle for comfort. Even the pillow I'm using doesn't seem to offer much help anymore <sigh>

Hope your test is within normal limits. Let us know how you go.

I've been eating better as well. I eat a lower carb (not strict ow carb) breakfast and lunch but sometimes dinner has a small amount of starch, such as rice or pasta. I'm happy with that, It seems to be working for me at this point.

As long as I stick with this I feel alright, problems only arise when I stray from it and then my whole day is off.

I've found that if I start my day with a lot of carbs, I end up foggy and lethargic. It's not good when you have 2 other little ones to chase around. I guess I can only do my best. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bella, taking a week at time is a good idea. I have to focus on each day as it comes. Once we have given birth and are at an established place of comfort in our breastfeeding, we can go back to induction levels - for those planning to do so anyway.

Aprils0909, that's great. I understand the nesting instinct, mine has kicked in big time. I'm even cleaning around light switches with toothpicks (I know- I know, getta life right lol). Only problem is my energy levels are not consistent.

Must be great to be home and settled though.

Has anyone else found themselves cleaning and nesting more than usual?

Take care everyone
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 03:22

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Yippeee Latte!! So happy to hear your great news!!!