Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 15:12

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Carl, just a heads up, there is probably a typo in your signature's hyperlink ( www.fitness.carlhembrough.com/forum ) because I can't load the page when I click on it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 15:19

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

Everything I tend to share I have read elsewhere, most of which i have experimented with myself. Mostly provided from articles on bodybuilding websites, which provide the sources of their information. By no means do I need to provide sources for anything I say in a public forum. People can trust my advice as they can trust yours. They can look up research for themselves if they want to - the forum is a place for advice.

I provided the two articles which gave information related to the topic, and the references of the information are at the bottom of the article. Care to share your sources of information?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Carl, just a heads up, there is probably a typo in your signature's hyperlink ( www.fitness.carlhembrough.com/forum ) because I can't load the page when I click on it.

Thanks, the website is currently offline.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 15:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh_uk
Everything I tend to share I have read elsewhere, most of which i have experimented with myself. Mostly provided from articles on bodybuilding websites, which provide the sources of their information. By no means do I need to provide sources for anything I say in a public forum. People can trust my advice as they can trust yours. They can look up research for themselves if they want to - the forum is a place for advice.

I provided the two articles which gave information related to the topic, and the references of the information are at the bottom of the article. Care to share your sources of information?

Well then I guess your epenis is bigger than mine. You win.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Well then I guess your epenis is bigger than mine. You win.

A shame you could only resort to a personal remark. I hope you dont respond like that every time someone proves you wrong. I was hoping you would come back with something informative, i guess your sources arent so strong after all.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 17:11

BF:

Quote:
You couldnt be more narrow minded and wrong you are on the subject.

You seem very stuck in your theories

Yeah, you wouldn't resort to personal attacks either. Then you wouldn't play the victim to make you look righteous either.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 01:08

OK well maybe those comments were a bit personal, but they were on topic and nothing less than the truth. Talking about someone's "epenis" is pretty lame and unrelated. Im still waiting for your sources of information, or are you openly admitting you didnt really know what you were talking about? another personal remark maybe? If so, your going off topic so feel free to PM it to me.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Hi fat, hi calories
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress:

I never have really understood the bulking and cutting process and why it is necessary to do this. Were our bodies evolved to build lean muscle this way? If fat and protein are becoming more evident from my research to be optimal sources of nutrition then why should we ever add carbs to our diet.

As for personal anecdotal evidence. I have been on exclusive zero to low carb diet for the past month and have increased my bench as well as every other lift every time I have gone to the gym. I am not just starting out either and have never had this success before. I have never had such energy at the gym before either. It is my personal opinion that the body will adjust and that there is no complicated way for putting on mass and simply working hard and eating fat is the way to go.

Just because bodybuilders have a "good" way of putting on mass does not imply that their way is optimal.

I just can't imagine low-carb being so healthy for you and then suddenly at the same time be terrible for muscle mass. This logical reasoning escapes me but perhaps someone can enlighten me.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 17:57
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Check out http://www.musclehack.com/ . Mark McManus is a LC body builder. He has a lot of suggestions on LC diet and weight lifting. Best of Luck...Bru
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Feel free to try adding muscle while in ketosis and not in a calorie surplus - you will be wasting your time.

Well, Carl - As a 60-year-old post-menopausal women I don't possess an epenis (nor do I play one on TV), but I believe I haven't been wasting my time trying to build muscle while in ketosis AND consuming a calorie deficit.

I've been low carbing for a fairly long time. Two months ago I began doing Super Slow weight training. In those two months I have put on 10 pounds of rock hard muscle while continuing to lose body fat and inches. That's right. TEN POUNDS OF MUSCLE. My pecs are so hard they feel like bone; you can bounce a quarter off my biceps.

My recently measured oxygen consumption is 100%. Oh, and I work out a total of 40 minutes a week - 2 twenty minute sessions. Period.

Here's what I ate yesterday - 1983 calories, composed of: 81% fat; 15% protein; 4% carbs. To be precise, that was 26.1 total carbs, and 11.1 fiber, which means I ate exactly 15 net carbs.

My normal/average calorie intake is between 1300-1500 per day, but I worked out (for only 20 minutes!) on Tuesday morning, and I'm always ravenous the next day.

I have more energy than is good for me, sleep like a teenager, and am told I look about 20 years younger than I am.

Now, let's see how big your epenis really is. Are you ready to admit that, while NOT running a calorie surplus nor eating carbs, I have in fact NOT been wasting my time "trying to add muscle"?

Come on . . . I just know you can do it . . .

Lisa
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 12:44

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Lisa,

I'm would like to tone up and add muscle. Would you please share your workout?

Thanks,
Kara
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 13:41
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

Here's the link to Slow Burn Revolution on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Fit...24790694&sr=8-3

Kara its a interesting read. Lisa had pointed me to it last week. Hope you enjoy...Bru
PS I'll let you know how I'm doing, going to start next week.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffronly
I'm would like to tone up and add muscle. Would you please share your workout?

Kara - what Bru said. To which I'll add that I do two specific workouts a week. Both last 20 minutes (a bit longer in actual time, what with sometimes having to wait for a machine and setting seat/weight, etc -- though the actual work time with muscle under load really is 20 minutes or less).

Each workout uses 8 machines; each works legs, shoulders, arm and core. So each week I use 16 different machines, for a complete body workout. I never break a sweat. I only do a single set of up to 6 reps per machine. When I can do 6 reps in 2 minutes, I up the weight slightly the next time, though the entire concept is not to get to that sixth rep, but to utterly and completely fail/fatigue the muscle.

Usually, the first time I add weight I only manage 3.5 reps. The .5 is important, because once you 'fail' you need to hold the weight without unloading for at least ten seconds more. If ever I were to sweat - that would be the time. It's burn, baby, burn. The second time on the weight I can often manage 4 or 5 reps. The third time I can usually do my 6th rep, and so I add weight on the fourth time. Since I only do a particular machine once a week, that means it takes me several weeks to add more weight. Sometimes it's a bit faster (my arms are stronger than my legs), sometimes a bit slower. But it's always an 'increase' progression. These are the toughest, most challenging workouts I've ever done, and when I'm through, I'M done!

If you read the book and try it, you'll like it. Let me know how it goes . . .

Lisa
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Well, Carl - As a 60-year-old post-menopausal women I don't possess an epenis (nor do I play one on TV), but I believe I haven't been wasting my time trying to build muscle while in ketosis AND consuming a calorie deficit.

I've been low carbing for a fairly long time. Two months ago I began doing Super Slow weight training. In those two months I have put on 10 pounds of rock hard muscle while continuing to lose body fat and inches. That's right. TEN POUNDS OF MUSCLE. My pecs are so hard they feel like bone; you can bounce a quarter off my biceps.

My recently measured oxygen consumption is 100%. Oh, and I work out a total of 40 minutes a week - 2 twenty minute sessions. Period.

Here's what I ate yesterday - 1983 calories, composed of: 81% fat; 15% protein; 4% carbs. To be precise, that was 26.1 total carbs, and 11.1 fiber, which means I ate exactly 15 net carbs.

My normal/average calorie intake is between 1300-1500 per day, but I worked out (for only 20 minutes!) on Tuesday morning, and I'm always ravenous the next day.

I have more energy than is good for me, sleep like a teenager, and am told I look about 20 years younger than I am.

Now, let's see how big your epenis really is. Are you ready to admit that, while NOT running a calorie surplus nor eating carbs, I have in fact NOT been wasting my time "trying to add muscle"?

Come on . . . I just know you can do it . . .

Lisa

wow this is getting dull... whats with the epenis thing? its got nothing to do with what im saying. Although it is interesting people keep bringing it up, but im the only one with pictures on my profile? I would be very interested to see before and after pictures of the 10 pounds of "muscle" you have put on...

10 pounds of pure muscle in 2 months is pushing it for someone on steroids... for a woman doing 40 minutes of "light" lifting a WEEK - sorry, just no. Im guessing maybe a pound or so of muscle, and water weight. I can put on 10 pounds of WEIGHT on over night depending on how many carbs i take in. Its not muscle, its not even fat... its mostly water weight fluctuations. Did you take bodyfat measurements along with your weight as you gained the 10 pounds? eating 2k calories is actually quite a lot, are you sure you know what your BMR is?

Again, im not trying to be an ass here, im just trying to tell people how it is. All the crap we see in the media gives people a warped view on things. This is why you hear women saying they dont wanna lift because they will get "too bulky"
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 15:03
Rock'in Arizona!!!

BF:

carlh_uk instead of blasting some ones program as being false why don't you take the time, and experiment on yourself. Buy the book try it. Before you start get a hydro test and again after 12 weeks to see your muscle gain. People benefit from different types of lifting. Slow burn has been around for many years. Unless you have bothered to try the program how can you say if it works. Even if it didn't work for you, whats to say it wouldn't work for someone else. You are preaching to the choir here. There are a lot of educated people on this forum. That have through personal experience proved to themselves what works for them. So blasting someones program without personally trying it does make you look a little foolish. Just my 2 cents....Bru