Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 10:07

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I did "zero carb" for a month. I had a hard time getting enough fat even with dipping my meat in sour cream and cooking everything in butter. Other than that, I felt fine.

Vegetables, though tasty, ARE optional. I like them and enjoy 30-40g of carbs more than 10 or under.

The one thing I like veggies for is a vehicle for mayo or olive oil even with that, I don't eat a lot of them, usually one medium sized salad a day, now.

You bring up a good point, though. On a meat diet, you need to make sure you take in plenty of fat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela702
Thanks Daryl! I will post my weight in a day or two. Have yourself a great weekend!
Pamela

You too, Pamela
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:02

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default hahahaha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlUp&Die
Do you only go on VLC diets for a short period?? Surely its not too healthy to have no vegetables in your diet.
**Vegetable-lover**

No veggies? Quite a radical notion, isn't?

Zero carb diets in practice will result in about 5 - 10 carbs per day. Unless one adopts the pure draconian "meat and water" diet, there will be trace amount of carbs found in eggs, cheese, and various organ meats.

Once fully acclimated, you'd be surprised on how efficiently a person can function on a nearly zero carb diet, even without the plethora of proposed benefits offered by veggies.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:14

Hi there, Frederick. You were quite overjoyed to hear about those sort of things when Bear came through, I think *grins*

What kind of carb level are you eating now, if I can ask?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:18

BF:

Hi Daryl.

Ah, the Bear thread brings back vivid memories of my all time favorite thread.

I'd imagine my carb range will be anywhere from 5 - 10 grams per day. They're mostly derived from the trace amounts in the eggs, cheese, and heavy cream I use in my coffee.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:29

And you haven't keeled over, or been rushed to the hospital yet? I hear you, mine rarely get over 15 or 20, and that's only because I love to snack on pecans and walnuts.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Since we're making use of this as an "interim" forum... (hopefully)

I loved the Bear thread.

I have been experimenting with very low carb for a couple months. Not for weight-loss purposes but general health... before that I was eating just meat and vegetables for a while. I felt better and had more energy when I started skipping the vegetables, though I like them.

Interested in the experiences of others who are doing some version of a carnivorous diet, whether or not it includes 'extras.' I'm still fine-tuning things to figure out what works.

The hardest thing to give up has been beer.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
And you haven't keeled over, or been rushed to the hospital yet? I hear you, mine rarely get over 15 or 20, and that's only because I love to snack on pecans and walnuts.

Still alive and kicking after all these years! Imagine that?

Occasionally, I'll indulge in peanut butter, dark chocolates, and a glass of brandy. I just try to limit them.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon
Since we're making use of this as an "interim" forum... (hopefully)

I loved the Bear thread.

It was truly one of the most informative, hysterically funny, and entertaining threads of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexicon

The hardest thing to give up has been beer.

I've got the same issue, but with brandy and scotch. In my view, lifetime abstinence isn't practical. I've come to accept that I can still enjoy the food and drinks I savor on the rare occasion.

Adopt the "less is more" principle?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 13:04

One thing about zero carb that I roll around in my head a bit.... if you take in a large amount of protein, there is some evidence that it will raise your blood sugar. No, not like carbs will, but a rise, nonetheless. Any ideas on this?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 23:33

BF:

Excess protein does appear to raise blood sugar levels. I'm of the opinion the ideal protein intake should be a gram per unit of lean body mass.

I try to keep my protein to 25 - 35% of my calorie intake, and never any more. Using fat as a ballast is essential, in my view.

In my view, fat will and should moderate blood sugar levels when eating significant amounts of protein, though it may not eliminate it entirely.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 04:10

I listened to Jimmy Moore's interview with Dr Mary Vernon last night, she talked some about zero carb (thought it might be tough, but was fine otherwise), and VLC and blood sugar-- on this, she said that it seemed that for some, they will see higher fasting BG, but that overall, it will be very flat, seeing almost no spikes, and thus is healthier, with lower A1c numbers.

Looking at Bear's numbers, and folks like Lex Rooker, this seems correct.

And I agree with what you say, that fat helps, greatly
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: meat and eggs / vlc
Stats: 365/202/140 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi everyone, I was needing some advice . I am having trouble getting enough fat in, and would like to get help with that. I bought some coconut oil yesterday, but i have never used it. It has no smell to it and i tasted a little bit on my tongue, and did not taste anything either. How should i use it, and how much of it per day is recommended? I am having chicken thighs for lunch, can i put some on them when i bake? Or will the temperature be too high for the coconut oil (i don't want to burn down the house,lol). I know some people on here say they add it to there coffee, but i dont drink coffee.
Any suggestions would be appreciated....Pamela
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 09:57

I think (and hope someone corrects me if wrong) that the coconut oil is one of the best as far as taking heat, so I think it'd be fine. Now, a lot of folks, myself included, will eat a bit of the oil by itself, if we're lacking fat. Some like it, some don't!

Another way to add fat, is to put mayo on burger patties. This is one reason that I still eat a daily salad, too, put lots of mayo or olive oil on it, it really bumps up the fat ratio, and at most, I'm only eating 3 to 6 grams of carbs doing it.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-08, 20:42

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela702
Hi everyone, I was needing some advice . I am having trouble getting enough fat in, and would like to get help with that. I bought some coconut oil yesterday, but i have never used it. It has no smell to it and i tasted a little bit on my tongue, and did not taste anything either. How should i use it, and how much of it per day is recommended? I am having chicken thighs for lunch, can i put some on them when i bake? Or will the temperature be too high for the coconut oil (i don't want to burn down the house,lol). I know some people on here say they add it to there coffee, but i dont drink coffee.
Any suggestions would be appreciated....Pamela
Pamela, sorry, I wrote you quite an extensive reply a few days ago about coconut oil then the cat walked on the keyboard and it was lost... I was too annoyed to start over.

If your CO has no smell or taste it might be refined/bleached/deodorized... hopefully not hydrogenated.... but I couldn't say if the benefits would still apply. If you buy something with 'unrefined' and 'virgin' on the label it should smell and taste somewhat of coconut regardless of the brand.

I buy mine at a health food store. I've seen it in every health food store I've ever been in, and it's easier to find the good unrefined stuff... supermarkets often carry the refined version -- if they have it at all. Some people are very picky about brands. I use NOW brand. All unrefined coconut oils can go from solid to liquid and various lumpy stages in between depending on your home, since the melting point is right around room temperature. In the fridge it will become so hard you have to chip pieces off... don't recommend it and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Almost never goes rancid.

Mary Enig, who has written extensively about coconut oil (you could Google), recommends about 3 tbsp per day... although I often eat that much, some people have reported nausea, diarrhea and sleeplessness taking that much... or at least taking that much without building up to it.

As Daryl mentioned, it is a good oil for high heat, you could look up the smoke point. Whether or not you cook with it depends on whether you like the smell/taste of coconut in the food.... I guess you could consider it like olive oil, it puts its own noticeable stamp on things and though I quite like 'coconut eggs' it's an acquired taste I think

I don't care for it in coffee myself.

Some people like to make a sort of candy bark by mixing it with Splenda and cocoa powder and refrigerating it in a shallow dish. You can of course just eat it on a spoon if you're trying to up your fat intake, if it doesn't make you gag (since I've survived the cherry-flavoured cod liver oil I found everything else a walk in the park.) That's usually what I do, aside from cooking eggs in it I don't use much for cooking because I try to eat fatty meat so I never really need extra oil in the pan unless I'm trying to create a sea of grease.

I think some of the testimonials about the wondrous powers of CO are a bit over the top, especially since they tend to come from sites that sell the stuff, but it is a good healthy fat.

I also find it does wonders for my skin if I put some on every day, and also as an oil treatment for my hair, but as it's expensive it's not too practical to use too much externally. Hope that helps.

Wish we had a proper forum

Last edited by Bexicon : Fri, Sep-12-08 at 20:56.
Closed Thread