Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 07:57
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

My Mr. Carbo struggles with his weight, too, but he's a steadfast low-fatter. He can barely contain his disgust when they throw a huge blob of butter in a pan on the cooking shows. He is adamantly low-fat. He maintains at about 20 lbs higher than he should be, quite like me, in fact, so I figure we are both doing rather well.

I have to go, a work conference call, but I'll be back. I'm glad you started this thread, Liz, I do think it's good to have a place for like-minded people to hang out and get support for each other. It doesn't solve the other issue, the unbalanced representation of ideas in the Research/Media forum, but it's a very good thing (channelling Martha Stewart there ).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 09:21
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'm eating for maintenance now as I'm still recovering from surgery three weeks ago, but next week I'm going to start to diet again.

I'm actually planning a weird combination of basic low-carb, CAD, IF, VLC and carb cycling. I'm still fleshing it out and will comment more on it when I've got it figured.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 10:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't count carbs at this point although I do write down all my food. Some days it's very low by accident, some days much, much higher - maybe I average 50 a day most days? Not sure. Hubby is very low carb due to hypoglycemia symptoms and I eat many more, mostly to aid in my training (running, swimming, crosstraining). I have heard of very active people doing very low carb but it doesn't work for me. Lowcarbugh pointed out to me that I might have gotten past any insulin resistance I had when I was heavier and therefore need more carbs now that I am normal. That struck me as a good explanation. I never had any outward sign of IR except being fat, but I must have been to a certain extent.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 14:01

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am really enjoying this thread. Back when I started LC I had this rigid view that all carbs = insulin = fat and sick. But lately the more I read the more I am convinced that this is not the be all end all.

I think LC is a valuable tool, though, especially in a society where the "standard" diet is skewed so far in the other direction. Maybe it takes one extreme to balance out the damage accrued from the other extreme. After the balance is corrected, is rigid LC still necessary? Something I have been pondering lately.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 14:39

Plan: Atkins (+m&e)
Stats: 320/310/190 Female 5ft  11"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hello all.
Thanks for the invite Liz ? I Am doing pretty much the same as Pennink for eating.Have just finished 7 days clean eating and down 8. Glad to meet ya all
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 14:39
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Hey Mod Squad,

What's cookin' today?
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 15:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm cookin' up eggplant!! parmigiana style...in a skillet. Just brought one back from the Farmers Marke along with plum tomatoes.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 15:23
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm doing my usual big wok of veggies and a pork steak. Pork has been cheap here lately.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

We're eating out at a juke joint so it's burgers and cheap beer. OTOH, lunch was a pork stirfry.

I gotta get to a city soon. I'm now out of most of the things necessary to make Chinese sauces. I don't know how to survive without black bean chile sauce in the fridge!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 16:00

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm on vacation with DH's family at the shore right now and the rumblings from the masses indicate we're going out for seafood tonight.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 16:34
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
We're eating out at a juke joint so it's burgers and cheap beer. OTOH, lunch was a pork stirfry.

I gotta get to a city soon. I'm now out of most of the things necessary to make Chinese sauces. I don't know how to survive without black bean chile sauce in the fridge!

Tell me you have not tried to find it online????
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
I think LC is a valuable tool, though, especially in a society where the "standard" diet is skewed so far in the other direction. Maybe it takes one extreme to balance out the damage accrued from the other extreme. After the balance is corrected, is rigid LC still necessary? Something I have been pondering lately.
My conclusion is that the answer to that is no. I believe "the dose makes the poison." I'm seeing too many people who hit a point at which their weight loss stalls at very low carb then picks up dramatically on moderate carb to believe otherwise. And I still go back to this: the generations of people that Gary Taubes talks about and uses as a reference were eating moderate carb. Before heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes were at "epidemic" proportions people ate grains and fruits and veggies. They didn't suddenly become bad. It is when they were eaten in huge quantites, after processing, that we see those diseases.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 17:19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy1
Hello all.
Thanks for the invite Liz ? I Am doing pretty much the same as Pennink for eating.Have just finished 7 days clean eating and down 8. Glad to meet ya all
Glad you joined us! Eight pounds is great! What were you doing before WW?
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 18:45
Attitude is a Choice

Oh my!!!...I just ate my eggplant parmigiana...in a bowl w/ cheese sprinkled on top.....and when there was a little left in the bowl, I took a slice of toasted ezekiel...and sopped up all the sauce!!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 18:57

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
And I still go back to this: the generations of people that Gary Taubes talks about and uses as a reference were eating moderate carb. Before heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes were at "epidemic" proportions people ate grains and fruits and veggies. They didn't suddenly become bad. It is when they were eaten in huge quantities, after processing, that we see those diseases.
I agree. I was born in 1955, and remember drinking whole milk that was delivered every 2 days, "fast food" were teeny White Castle hamburgers, and there were no diet foods to speak of; we were active outside when not in school, and rarely snacked. We had pasta every Sunday and desserts were for special occasions. My mother WAS very overweight, but she also had no thyroid, a terrible marriage, and used food as her drug of choice.