Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 08:46
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Listeriosis outbreak

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26428441/

It's a hot topic around here, now a saskatchewan woman has died.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 22:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Manitoba now has a case too.

BC already has cases.

Pretty scary in some ways, but not nearly as much of a catastrophe as some people believe (after talking to people in the biz - this is what I do BTW).

Julie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 23:29
AntiSAD

BF:

Fear mongering in my region is a passion.
I'm known as a carnivore by many and have been told so many times this week to watch-out, check labels, go online...etc.

I'm not into fear, yet not immune to it.
Yet I go with what I know.

I guess; so far so good...where do you start??
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 04:52

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I know a woman at work who's pregnant and ate a ton of the recalled meats (it was her craving). She's signing up for the lawsuit because it takes so long before things show up and she was urged to do so. she's taken pictures of a lot of the foods that she had in her fridge.

I threw out one thing, but I don't eat processed foods anyway. Maybe this will make people think about eating real food for a change! who knows!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 15:06

BF:

I agree with not eating processed foods - better for you anyway.

Fear mongering never helped anyone....

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 22:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm another one who rarely eats processed lunch meats any more, because of the high sodium content. But .. I did have some Shopsy's smoked beef about a month ago .. it's one of the products recalled a few days ago, as a precaution.

It sounds as though the majority of victims have been elderly and/or already quite ill with something else, in a nursing home or hospital. On a local radio phone-in show on this topic, a woman called in to say that she'd had listeriosis a few years ago, and obviously survived just fine.

Just my opinion, but I think most healthy folks walking around don't have much to worry about. Still .. I can understand people being worried, especially parents who may have served hot dogs and sandwiches to their kids, made with meats that are now recalled.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 00:16

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Finding a list of all the brands under the umbrella of Maple Leaf was really shocking! We use very little processed meats, but I found that one of DH's favourite meaty snacks (a Schneiders product) was on the list - when I found the detailed list with numbers and best-before dates, it turned out our package was NOT on the list - WHEW!!!!

Here's a link to the list of products with the numbers and "best before" dates - hope it helps at least one of us!!

http://www.mapleleaf.com/pdf/Bartor...tRecallList.pdf
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 08:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

*Just in case* the Maple Leaf site is too busy (I couldn't get on a few days ago; I'm sure their server is overwhelmed these days ) .. here's the Cdn Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) page, with updated lists and product codes, as well as information about listeriosis, symptoms to look for etc .. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english...listeriae.shtml

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 09:19

BF:

I agree with Doreen that most of the people who are inflicted with listeria are already compromised.

It's an illness that has been around for a long time - most people don't even know they have it (they think they have the 'flu).

I'm sure it will be contained soon with all the recalls and extra precautions.

Julie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 12:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I checked this list and ended up throwing out some sliced ham and some schneiders smokies. The ham was never opened but we ate some of the smokies long ago, probably even before the recall--so they probably were destined for the garbage anyway, since they've been there so long. Thanks for posting the link Doreen.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I'm another one who rarely eats processed lunch meats any more, because of the high sodium content. But .. I did have some Shopsy's smoked beef about a month ago .. it's one of the products recalled a few days ago, as a precaution.

It sounds as though the majority of victims have been elderly and/or already quite ill with something else, in a nursing home or hospital. On a local radio phone-in show on this topic, a woman called in to say that she'd had listeriosis a few years ago, and obviously survived just fine.

Just my opinion, but I think most healthy folks walking around don't have much to worry about. Still .. I can understand people being worried, especially parents who may have served hot dogs and sandwiches to their kids, made with meats that are now recalled.

Doreen

Cooking to 'steaming hot' (i.e., "food safe temps") kills the stuff; hence hot dogs should not be eaten raw. Deli meats, well, those are often eaten raw.

And it's true, those at risk are the elderly, the young, pregnant women (who may have strong systems, but nobody in their right minds wants to take a chance) and those with compromised immune systems.

The tricky thing with this bug (and I've actually "had" it, along with non-symptomatic e. coli invasion) is that it grows quite happily at fridge temperatures -- unlike many bugs, outside the "danger zone" -- and is not killed by freezing. COOKING, yes.

Hope this helps. We are not helpless, and we can help others by being informed and vigilant.

#12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 08:13
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I heard mention on the CBC that they were recalling some pre-packaged sliced mushrooms, too, also for listeria. http://www.torontosun.com/News/Cana...03/6646521.html

Would the bacteria be killed by cooking the mushrooms as well? I wasn't affected by the Maple Leaf recall at all as I don't eat deli meats very often, but I think I did use a package of sliced mushrooms in the roasted vegetables I served to guests on Sunday night. Whether they were that brand of mushrooms, I have no idea. But, if cooking the mushrooms would have killed the bacteria, I can stop worrying about having poisoned four good friends, my husband and myself.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 09:56
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good thing I don't eat that kind of meat...

Pennink... please keep us updated on your pregnant friend

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 09:58
AntiSAD

BF:

Quote:
Pennink... please keep us updated on your pregnant friend

Yes. Pretty scary times for her.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 09:58
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I heard mention on the CBC that they were recalling some pre-packaged sliced mushrooms, too, also for listeria. http://www.torontosun.com/News/Cana...03/6646521.html

Would the bacteria be killed by cooking the mushrooms as well? I wasn't affected by the Maple Leaf recall at all as I don't eat deli meats very often, but I think I did use a package of sliced mushrooms in the roasted vegetables I served to guests on Sunday night. Whether they were that brand of mushrooms, I have no idea. But, if cooking the mushrooms would have killed the bacteria, I can stop worrying about having poisoned four good friends, my husband and myself.

**stars to panic**

I bought allllll these packages of mushrooms because they were marked down 50%... Too bad I already made the soup and we ate it all...

Anyone know if cooking kills it?

Lisa