Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 10:35

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up Beating the dawn phenomena

I have tried several things to counter the BP.
Some worked.Some didn't.
Best solution FOR ME to take a 500 mg Metformin ER pill
before bed.That solution keeps my DP typically below 100.
Eddie
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 11:22
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Best solution FOR ME to take a 500 mg Metformin ER pill
before bed.

Metformin works on quieting the liver, so yeah, it is the first thing people should try. Men have quieter livers anyway. They probably have quieter everything except for spouses.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 09:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

What is needed is to have a Doctor that works with you.

Mine is fantastic.

I am type 2.

I am using bolus insulin (Levemir) and I use fast acting insulin (Novolog).

I found what I need in bolus to keep my numbers under 100.

I am trying to get an average below 90; essentially trying to emulate a non-diabetic profile.

I use Novolog to cover my carbs at meals.

I need not tell you what doses I take since it is different for everyone.

The key point for me is trying to emulate a non-diabetic. So from my point of view and my doctor agreed is using insulin along with Metformin ER is the optimal set of medications for a T2 diabetic.

I can keep my BG below 100. DP is gone. If it creeps in (slightly over 100) I immediately use Novolog (fast acting insulin) to bring it right down; plus I have something to eat usually eggs in the morning with a slice of lite bread.

I target 75 as my desired level of BG and I am hoping to get my average below 100.

I do take in more carbs lately than I should.

So, I would recommend this course of action after speaking to your Doctor.

But find a Doctor who will work with you. Most Doctors of any sensibility love a patient that take control of their medical situation.

For example, my Doctor wanted me to get my cholesterol down.

It had crept up over 200 in recent years. I have good HDL of 60, but the latest concern is LDL over 100.

So, he wanted me to go on a statin. I told him NO!

What I did was go on 1000mg daily of Niacin plus two baby aspirin to counter the possible "rush" you get from Niacin.

My cholseterol dropped from 230 down to 130 while my HDL crept up to 60 from around 56. The calculated LDL was like 70.

Doc said to me just keep doing what you are doing.

Now I am researching inflammation since folks are starting to realize that this is the main reason for cardiac vascular disease.

I am looking into some chelation products too.

There are a series of tests that I am going to ask happen to see my level of CVD on my next visit to my Doctor. He loves it.

Ralph
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 09:27

BF:

"I am looking into some chelation products too."
Ralph
You have probably already found EDTA.
Eddie
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 09:34

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Ralph,

Thank you for the advice. I do think my doctor cares about me. However, he seems to stand firm with mot wanting to give me medications as well as my OB/GYN (seperate practice). I have found an endo in the area. My next A1c is with my GP October 1st. Once I see the results of my bloodwork, I will make the final decision to move on to an endo or not.

Everyone, I tried exercising before breakfast to see if it affected my Dawn Phenomenon and - nope, it still went to 125mg/dl by 8am. However, if I eat breakfast at 8am and then exercise it goes straight down to 104mg/dl - LOL

This DP is annoying as heck!

~Danielle
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 11:12
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Danielle, most doctors don't care if you have normal blood sugars. They're all scared of lows so they under prescribe even though the highs are damaging in the long run. If you're dead of diabetic complications, you're not in any position to sue them. If you crashed your car because of a low caused by prescribed insulin, you might file a nuisance suit. Never assume your doctors have your best interest when prescribing or not prescribing. They follow protocols and many of those are set by insurance carriers.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 18:07

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Ralph,

Thank you for the advice. I do think my doctor cares about me. However, he seems to stand firm with mot wanting to give me medications as well as my OB/GYN (seperate practice). I have found an endo in the area. My next A1c is with my GP October 1st. Once I see the results of my bloodwork, I will make the final decision to move on to an endo or not.

Everyone, I tried exercising before breakfast to see if it affected my Dawn Phenomenon and - nope, it still went to 125mg/dl by 8am. However, if I eat breakfast at 8am and then exercise it goes straight down to 104mg/dl - LOL

This DP is annoying as heck!

~Danielle

You actually seem to be doing very well without medication. Your fasting blood sugar is slightly high but I certainly wouldn't get on insulin at this point.

Keep trying things to get your fasting down and you'll be good.

Do you exercise? It helps a lot.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 18:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 263/218/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Fruit on Dr. B's plan

One thing jumped out at me as I read through this thread:

Dr. Bernstein does NOT recommend fruit in any form for diabetics. Some people are able to tolerate it, but I have found my fasting blood sugars and dawn phenomenon to be much better since I have cut it out completely.

Benfotiamine, a vitamin B compound, is also something that might help with Dawn Phenomenon. It helped me.

Mary
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 19:30

BF:

Fruit has glucose in it but generalities about diet are
often misleading even from his majesty Bernstein. As
Susan has said many times,eat from your meter.I completely
agree with her.I guess it's ok to use Bernstein's program as a
starting point but...
Eddie
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 21:07

Eddie - I agree. I use Bernstein as a foundation but, I eat to my meter. Once in awhile I'll have a 1/4 cup brown rice as well as low GI fruits - always balanced with some fat/protein. Maybe berries and cream with dinner (usually meat).

Susan - I'll have to agree with you about that. Maybe, I should have said that I don't think he could give a rats ~rse about me - LOL. He does listen to me and gives me lots of time to express my feelings and situation. I guess he is old school? Part of me does want to avoid meds- if that is possible? I'm new to all this - only a little bit of a month in. When I tell my doctors that my A1c is 6.5%, they kind of smirk and gesture as though it's no big deal. The reason I treat it as a big deal is because 5 years ago I was sent to my GP to be tested for diabetes. He only gave me a fasting blood sugar test which came back 75mg/dl. I was told that I "wasn't even pre-diabetic" based on that number. I was told I had IR due to me fitting the description along with metabolic syndrome (hypertension/high triglycerides/PCOS...etc). I was told that we will test yearly and that I need to lose weight. The end.

Now, I must take some responsibility. I didn't take it as seriously as I should have - partially because it was presented as no big deal. I started the insulin resistance diet but, I just didn't lose weight. I tried liquid diets, ADA diet....you name it. I walked 5 miles a day along with aquarobics, yoga and strength training. Either, I didn't lose or it dripped off me in increments which led to frustration and then back to old eating habits. I know this is like deja vu.

So, I'm partly angry because I feel I should have had an A1c and a GTT and prehaps better advice than lose weight. My GP is overweight as well and kind of says - Trust me I know it's not easy. Anything I have learned is from this forum and a few others and I thank God for that.

I just don't know if I should be more aggressive and go see and endo which will put me on meds. I'm afraid this condition will worsen. I read some places it's inevitable. Others feel it's better to be med free. I'm very confused. Like anyone else - I don't want to jeopardize my health.

ShesGG - Yes - i do exercise. I had a bruised femur which put me out for a month but, I just started walking an hour on my treadmill - admittedly only 2 miles an hour - LOL. I may go back to aquarobics in the fall. I also strength train and do a lot of stretching - thanks to my LMP license.

Thanks for the advice and allowing me to blabber on about my worries - venting and bouncing ideas off others helps me sort out thoughts.

HUGS,
~Danielle

Last edited by CantEven : Tue, Aug-12-08 at 21:14.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 21:18

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
I just don't know if I should be more aggressive and go see and endo which will put me on meds. I'm afraid this condition will worsen. I read some places it's inevitable. Others feel it's better to be med free. I'm very confused. Like anyone else - I don't want to jeopardize my health.

Danielle, read this: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046702.php

It may help put your mind at ease on some things
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 21:23

Daryl -

Thanks for the link. Jenny's ite has been of great help to me.

~Danielle
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 06:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 263/218/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Eddie,

Is the sarcasm really necessary, i.e, "his majesty Bernstein"? I was not being sarcastic or rude in my comment, or at least didn't intend to be.

Of course you have to eat to your meter . . . I have found that I can eat certain fruits but only in small amounts. My main point was that eating carbohydrates as a snack right before bed probably isn't the best thing to do to help calm DP.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 07:39

BF:

Ktsmama
I guess my point in "his majesty Bernstein" description is that
I don't think there is nearly enough questioning of Bernstein's
regimen-taken as maybe too much of an absolute thing.
If you consider this to be sarcasm,so be it.
I agree with you that eating carbs before bed to defeat the
DP probably isn't good.
Cheers from Hot Humid Houston
Eddie
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 07:44
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Part of me does want to avoid meds- if that is possible? I'm new to all this - only a little bit of a month in. When I tell my doctors that my A1c is 6.5%, they kind of smirk and gesture as though it's no big deal. The reason I treat it as a big deal is because 5 years ago I was sent to my GP to be tested for diabetes. He only gave me a fasting blood sugar test which came back 75mg/dl. I was told that I "wasn't even pre-diabetic" based on that number. I was told I had IR due to me fitting the description along with metabolic syndrome (hypertension/high triglycerides/PCOS...etc). I was told that we will test yearly and that I need to lose weight. The end.

Danielle, metformin is commonly prescribed to PCOS patients to aid in weight loss. I can understand your aversion to meds, but you would probably find that metformin helps your DP and weight loss. It it were me, I would press him for a trial of metformin.

Telling someone with PCOS to go home and lose weight is not helpful.