Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 08:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm still at the point where inputting everything I eat makes sense to me. I don't need to worry about counting carbs or calories or % of calories from fat- but I can quickly go back and check for trends on all of those things if/when I feel the need to try and tweak things.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am mostly doing the low carb plan myself buty I do admit I will eat some brown rice and some whole wheat bread every now and then.I saw my doctor yesterday for my arthritis check up and they weigherd me and I was down by three pounds from last month when I seen hem.
So I am going to just keep on doing like I am even if the weight loss is slow.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 08:18

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:
Talking Friday's Logic

Sometimes I have to stop and remember that the main reason I need to eat low carb is to keep my hunger in check. I can easily slip into eating too many calories and that can create a stall for me.

I eat some carbs as to not feel deprived but I have to keep them low enough so that they don’t “drive” my hunger but you know…sometimes you just gotta have some. As long as I am creative with my cooking I don’t really miss them much.

When I say I eat carbs, I do things like...I'll eat a piece of fried chicken. Of course I pass on the mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn but hey...a girls gotta live.

I think too many people fall into the numbers trap when losing weight. Like thinking they need to lose 2 pounds a week. That’s just nuts. That’s the diet mentality and I personally would like to rid myself of it.

I figure a loss of 1 pound a month is really 2 or 3 pounds a month when you consider that if you weren’t trying you would not have lost that one pound and you probably would have gained another one or two and then you would be 3 pounds heavier. How is that for logic?
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 11:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbflower
I figure a loss of 1 pound a month is really 2 or 3 pounds a month when you consider that if you weren’t trying you would not have lost that one pound and you probably would have gained another one or two and then you would be 3 pounds heavier. How is that for logic?

Nope, doesn't work for me. I basically maintained at 175 for a decade by doing absolutely nothing, other than eating when hungry, stopping when full, and avoiding huge quantities of plain carbs (like 3 bowls of pasta with no fat or protein mixed in.)
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 12:22

BF:

“eating when hungry, stopping when full, and avoiding huge quantities of plain carbs”

I wouldn’t call that “doing nothing” looks more like 3 things to me. I'd call that cautious/intuitive eating, except maybe for eating 3 bowls of pasta which I have never done anyway.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 18:14

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!

Quote:
Sometimes I have to stop and remember that the main reason I need to eat low carb is to keep my hunger in check. I can easily slip into eating too many calories and that can create a stall for me.

I eat some carbs as to not feel deprived but I have to keep them low enough so that they don’t “drive” my hunger but you know…sometimes you just gotta have some. As long as I am creative with my cooking I don’t really miss them much.

When I say I eat carbs, I do things like...I'll eat a piece of fried chicken. Of course I pass on the mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn but hey...a girls gotta live.

I think too many people fall into the numbers trap when losing weight. Like thinking they need to lose 2 pounds a week. That’s just nuts. That’s the diet mentality and I personally would like to rid myself of it.

I agree almost ...personally I would like to see at least a pound a week and I would be happy.... Currently, I'm not seeing that and this week has been difficult for me staying on plan for some reason.... Have to look into the underlying issues as to why that is....maybe added stress....which is a definite possibility and I reach for sweet things when that is happening...or salty...and I've had both this week

TJ
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 19:25

BF:

Quote:
“eating when hungry, stopping when full, and avoiding huge quantities of plain carbs”

I wouldn’t call that “doing nothing” looks more like 3 things to me. I'd call that cautious/intuitive eating, except maybe for eating 3 bowls of pasta which I have never done anyway.

It's not that hard to do since carbs aren't filling and if you do fill up on them, you're hungry again soon.

I find I'm much more satisfied when I avoid grains completely- or at the very least keep them to very minimal servings (like a single small GF challah roll on Fridays and Saturdays).
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 07:34

BF:
Default I love Jello

Well we are all here and we are all seeing some weight loss so even with our own trials and tribulations we are all on the right path and that’s what matters.

I had some “real” ice cream on Monday while preparing for the hurricane and the scale still managed to go down even though I did not compensate for the extra carbs.

I think that is a good reason to keep a few carbs in my diet. If I go no carbs at all and then I eat some it seems like I balloon up overnight.

Jello has been my savior when it comes to sweets. I really like it when I layer it with a layer that has been blended with cream cheese. It just seems like I’m cheating. I like to throw in a few berries too. I make a new box almost every night!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 07:44

Hello all....still haven't weighed myself in two weeks...feel heavier...heavy sigh... Walked/jogged today and will weigh myself on Friday.... Hope I see a new low...

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Wed, Aug-20-08 at 18:44.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 09:33

BF:

When I'm craving something salty and crispy, I reach for a piece of dried kombu (sea veggie). It's definitely an aquired taste, but I find it's really satisfying. I don't know if it's nutritional value actually makes it more satisfying, or if it's something emotional- I just know that it feels a lot more satisfying than something like salty potato chips.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 22:45

Hey it's pretty quiet in here, where are all the turtles at???

TJ
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am still here girls. Just been keeping up on the Hurricane Gustav. We are on the east side of the storm and not really in the direct path but we sure have been getting some bad weather from it and tornados to, we had three touch down here in Pensacola today and one was just a couple of blocks from our home over here near the Bay. It tore uo some trees and did damage toi a few houses but nothing major.
The weather channel said New Orleans levee's are holding well this time but they still have alot of wind damage though.
Our city has shelters set up for people coming in from their way helping all we can here.
But all is ok, it could had been worse.
Now they say we have two other storms brewing up on named Hanna and one named Ike. Hanna will effect the east coast of Fla. and Ga, by the week-end they say and it will be later next week when they say Ike will effect us. And they say it it will be coming back our way here on the Gulf Coast, thats all we need another one hitting us.
We sure have had a active hurricane season.

As fas as weight loss I try to lose a pound a week but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have always been a slow loser but I am not active as once was because of all my arthritis in my knees and hips. I do swim in our pool for exercises but thats all I get.

Will check back in tomorrow so everyone come on back and post to and let me know what your are up to these days and how much weight, if any, have you lost.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo

I am still here girls. Just been keeping up on the Hurricane Gustav. We are on the east side of the storm and not really in the direct path but we sure have been getting some bad weather from it and tornados to, we had three touch down here in Pensacola today and one was just a couple of blocks from our home over here near the Bay. It tore uo some trees and did damage toi a few houses but nothing major.
The weather channel said New Orleans levee's are holding well this time but they still have alot of wind damage though.
Our city has shelters set up for people coming in from their way helping all we can here.
But all is ok, it could had been worse.
Now they say we have two other storms brewing up on named Hanna and one named Ike. Hanna will effect the east coast of Fla. and Ga, by the week-end they say and it will be later next week when they say Ike will effect us. And they say it it will be coming back our way here on the Gulf Coast, thats all we need another one hitting us.
We sure have had a active hurricane season.

As fas as weight loss I try to lose a pound a week but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have always been a slow loser but I am not active as once was because of all my arthritis in my knees and hips. I do swim in our pool for exercises but thats all I get.

Will check back in tomorrow so everyone come on back and post to and let me know what your are up to these days and how much weight, if any, have you lost.

Hey Sissy,

Happy to hear from you.... Hope things don't get bad for you there.. Will be sending blessing your way...

Haven't lost any weight....trying a new program which is similiar to Atkins but limits protein....and allows more carbs...Eat Fat Get Thin.... We'll see how that works for me... Right now I am limiting my dairy to once a day at the most to see if I get a loss...

TJ
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 07:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hey it's pretty quiet in here, where are all the turtles at???

TJ

Right back where I started from. I was at 168, slowly creeped down below 167, and now I'm back up to 168 again.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-08, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Right back where I started from. I was at 168, slowly creeped down below 167, and now I'm back up to 168 again.

Up two pounds and trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my body that it does't want to give up the weight... On week seven of jogging and can't figure out what happened to the weight loss...

TJ