Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 14:22

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
[URL=http://][IMG]
What size range are you aiming for?

Any size that doesn't involve shopping in the "Plus Size" department!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 21:19

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
Skee, I'm guessing, like me, you're in your mid-40's? It's amazing, I NEVER carried any weight in my belly, a flat stomach was my pride and joy no matter what my weight, then I hit my mid-40's and it seemed like a belly appeared overnight?!! I was so alarmed I thought something was medically wrong - a tumor?! But I looked into it and talked to my doctor and he said that's just what happens to women in their 40's, that's where they start depositing fat stores, even if they never did before. Terrific.

Yes, I am in my mid 40's and never had a stomach...it sucks big time! I, too, prided myself on having a flat stomach! Started doing situps again today and some resistance training, we'll see if that helps...

[QUOTE=sbflower]Skeeweeaka: If you just started running you will gain. It happens to all runners. Your muscles store a lot of glycogen when you run. I gained an initial 4 pounds. When I’d stop running for more than 2 days my weight would go back down…and then back up when I started again. So you just have to accept a couple running pounds to start. Don’t get discouraged, running can be great therapy. I’ve recently had to stop because of a stress fracture in my leg so be careful, take your time, and be sure you have good shoes.

My two cents….Belly fat sucks.

I’m one of those that have to watch my calories even though I’m eating low carb. I was a little upset about it at first but then I realized that even if I do have to watch calories at least I’m not hungry all the time like I was with some other diets. So for those of you that are having trouble losing on low carb, hang in there and remember that calories do count. Just doing low carb alone can work for some but there is no magic bullet.

Anyone that wants to watch their daily progress as far as the scale goes should come and join us in the Semi-Low Carb Daily Weigh in thread. I like to see how the scale moves daily and we could use some fresh faces.

Good luck everyone and happy hump day![/QUOTE

Yes, I've been told that it causes a weight gain...gained 4 pounds...took two off in the last seven days.... Hoping to get the other two off plus more this month....crossing my fingers.... I agree that I really need to watch the calories, fat adds up fast...1 T. of oil or mayo usally adds 100 calories to a meal...and that is measuring.... Lord only knows how many calories I was eating on Atkins...

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Wed, Aug-06-08 at 21:24.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 06:52

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:

Sissy: Sizes vary a lot depending on the designer but I do notice when I am shopping for clothes that they really start looking cute when they get down to a size 10. Don’t ask my why I roam to the size 10 area but I do.

Skeeweeaka: Since I’ve just gotten back on low carb I’m not tracking every bite yet but I am trying not to eat “whole hog” so to speak. I’ll eat a lower fat item if the carbs haven’t been bumped up too much. I do love ½ & ½ in my coffee and I do love whole cheeses.

I did low fat/high carb for the last 3-4 months while I was running because I was convinced that I needed the carbs in order to make my mileage. I never did lose any weight though even when I was eating only 1500 calories a day.

So when I got the stress fracture in my leg I decided to try low carb again and that’s only been recently. I’m reading a book that is making more sense than any other diet book I’ve ever read so I’m tweaking my eating as I slowly read through the book.

I too am in my mid 40’s. and nothing I have looks like it used to.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 11:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Skeeweeaka will check out that thread on semi- low carb. By the way where do I find it?

Sbflower, I look at size 12's clothes all the time and dream of a time I can get into them..Its crazy I know but i can dream.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 12:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:

I started LC about 14m ago. I lost 15 lbs in the first 2 months. Then I slowly lost another 8, gained back 3, etc. I've been 169ish for months.

But, I've still managed to maintain that 20lb weight loss, and I'm 5 lbs below the weight I've basically been for the past 11 years. When DD2 was about a year old, I was upset that I weighed 175. Then I realized that I was steadily maintaining at this weight, not gaining, no weight-related health problems. Since I had 2 little kids and a failing marriage, I had other priorities than weight loss. I bought myself some new clothes that fit and flattered me at that size.

Those clothes are now too big on me. I AM down from the weight that I thought I'd be forever. It's just REALLY slow going!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 07:03

BF:
Default Daily Weigh In Thread

For any of you that would like to join us in the Daily Weigh In thread here’s how you find it…

From the Main Forum - Daily Low Carb Support – Semi Low Carb Plans– the Daily Weigh In thread is sticky’d at the top of the page.

It would be great to have anyone that would like to track their daily progress to come and join us.

Have a great day everyone.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbflower
I I need help with 2 things:
1.) I get bored. I don’t have much of a low carb cooking imagination and can’t think of things to eat. I work and I’m busy so I need take along things too. So I need to hit the boards for recipes.

2.) I need to get over my embarrassment about what and how much I eat. I have a fairly new SO and he is naturally thin. The problem is I’m fat so I eat more than he does. I usually eat smaller meals because of the absence of carbs but I need to eat more often than he does and I feel awkward about it.

You may need to eat higher fat foods so you feel full. I've personally found that I can eat LESS often now than I could when I wasn't watching my carbs- if your meals aren't filling you up then you probably aren't eating enough. Could you post a typical menu for us?

For recipe and menu ideas, check out the recipe forum on this board.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in daily weigh-ins. It's just too frustrating for me to get on the scale and see no movement. I'll weigh myself every 2 weeks or so- mentally it's a lot easier for me.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:20

BF:

Hi all you turtles out there. How is the weight loss going with you today?
My eating today has been good but cannot say that for last nights supper though, sort of cheated some and had a baked potato with sour cream. But i am making up for it today and eating right.

Why do you all think we lose weight slower than other people do? Do you think its because we may be older than others or we get less exercise or maybe its even our metabolism. What do you all think?

I swim and do water areobics most everyday so I feel I am getting alot of exercise and I am eating right to, "well most the time.....i am trying to keep my calories low to at 1200 a day.
No matter what I do my weight will not come off fast. i do good to lose a pound in two weeks.

See you later and keep posting.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:53

BF:

Quote:
Why do you all think we lose weight slower than other people do? Do you think its because we may be older than others or we get less exercise or maybe its even our metabolism. What do you all think?

In my case, I think it's because I'm working on weight that I've been carrying around for over a decade, and my body is used to having it there. Part of it is physical, and part of it is emotional- I think subconsciously I'm not trying as hard BECAUSE I've held onto this weight for over a decade and I doubt it will ever come off. Plus my weight-related health problems have already cleared up after losing 15-20 lbs- so I'm not really doing this for my health anymore. Part of me is saying 'I won't lose no matter what, and I'll maintain as easily at 30g a day as at 60g a day, so why deprive myself?"

So, it's a self fulfiling prophecy. I sneak in extra carbs, then I feel bad that I'm not losing, then I take a look and realize 'hey, I'm maintaining while eating maintenance level carbs most of the time." Sometimes I wonder if I should keep trying to lose weight or if I should act like I'm at maintenance now.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 14:12

Quote:

Hi all you turtles out there. How is the weight loss going with you today?
My eating today has been good but cannot say that for last nights supper though, sort of cheated some and had a baked potato with sour cream. But i am making up for it today and eating right.

I swim and do water areobics most everyday so I feel I am getting alot of exercise and I am eating right to, "well most the time.....i am trying to keep my calories low to at 1200 a day.
No matter what I do my weight will not come off fast. i do good to lose a pound in two weeks.

See you later and keep posting.

I don't know why I'm losing so slow.... I am attributing it to my age, 40's, hormones, and the meds that I am on. I was also attributing it to lack of exercise, but this is my 4th week of walking/jogging...and it hasn't improved any...

I try to watch my calories and not eat a lot.... Today after my walk/jog I have been very hungry...so I have been eating many small meals...

TJ
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 10:52

Hey Guys, I had to give you an update. I've lost 5 pounds in 10 days....for me that is a miracle.... All I can say is thank goodness for miracles....

TJ
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 11:43

BF:

Congrats TJ!

May we all have similar miracles soon!

Yesterday I read a book about a young woman struggling with anorexia. It kind of put my own food/weight struggles into perspective. Without a doubt, everybody who regularly posts on this forum has a MUCH healthier relationship with food than that character (and, I assume, real people who are struggling with eating disorders.) I'd much rather be 40 lbs overweight than be under 90 lbs and fighting for my life.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 12:42

BF:

Just checking in to see how all you turtles are doing today.
I see my doctor on Wednesday so i will get weighed in then. Will let you know if I have lost some or not. I feel I have, because I can tell my clothing is alot looser than it had been.
I lose slow especially since all my arthritis got so bad and I am alot more inactive than I was because it hurts so bad to even walk anymore.
So I am trying my best to lose it in spite of my health problems.
If I just lose a couple of pounds a month I am happy. Sooner or later they will add up to a large amount of loss.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 06:07

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

If exercise was "the" answer I'd be a size 2 - I work out 1.5 hours a day at least 4 days a week, which always includes intense cardio and weight training. I'm extremely active, so it's not that I'm not losing because of that. I've had the thyroid checks, all that routine - my doctor, after a lengthy discussion on the topic at my last physical, said a) some people are just built heavier and b) he wasn't the least bit concerned about me because of my activity level and my body fat % (which is very low considering my overall weight). Good to hear, but still doesn't do anything for me on the scale issue!!!

After about a month with the scale not budging at ALL, I was very surprised this morning to step on the scale and see a 5 pound loss. Yipee, though I think it probably had more to do with me being sick all weekend than anything else. Sinuses draining like an open faucet! :C
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 06:51

BF:
Default Food and Me

Why do I lose slower?

1.) I think it’s because I eat more than I think I do.
2.) Exercise doesn’t burn as many calories as I’d like to think. I think if I’m not doing an hour a day every day then I’m are not doing enough.
3.) My emotional attachment to food is very strong.

Daily Weighing: I used to be very emotional regarding the scale too. Now that I use Google 15 I’ve learned to enjoy my weigh daily weight fluctuations because I can see the big picture. It averages your weight over a 15 day period so you don’t get that emotional swing with the scale.

My Daily Menu: It changes a lot. The more I reduce my carbs, the less hungry I am and that helps but sitting at work for 8 hours with one hours worth of work is tough! I'm learning to snack on nuts, sunflower seeds, and jerky in stead of higher carb options and it's been helping with both my hunger issues and my weight loss.