Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 05:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Sass, I think you've done really well overall. Two surgeries on the same knee and all the pain (emotional and mental on TOP of the physical) that goes along with that is enough for anyone to fall completely off plan, but you haven't. Sure, your eating hasn't been perfect the whole time, but you must be doing something right to have only gained back 10 lbs. How many of us would have said, "Screw it!" and gone totally off plan, regaining all the weight and then some? That this hasn't been the case for you, IMO, shows that you are ready to do this. I believe you will find success on the Beach, Sass
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 08:54
Registered Member

Stats: 240/203.4/145 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'll have to try the green tomatoes. If I don't get run out of my house by squash!!!!! Those things are prolific.

I had another day without wheat on Saturday, and I didn't want to snack. I guess I'll just have to do as Judy says, and eat more starchy veggies and no wheat.

Since the scale change (and I bought one that at least weighs consistently), my weight loss seems to be slow, but steady. I am having difficulty with about 4 pounds, but it's psychological. I thought that I had already lost those pounds (according to the old scale).

Monday a.m. is my official weigh in, so we'll see how it goes.

Have a great what's left of the weekend.

Debi
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 09:43
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hey Deb!
You have lost those 4 lbs!! You need to raise your initial weight when you get a new scale that weighs you higher!!

The exact same thing happened to me in my first year. I got my new Tanita and it weighed me 4 lbs higher than I had been on my old scale. I was so bummed!! But I had to get that I was not 270 when I started according to my new scale, and that I was really 274.

Lucky you with all the squash. I love it as it can go into most any dish and does not overpower it with its own flavor. I made a ground turkey Italian type dish with onions, mushrooms in a nice pasta sauce. I cut up 3 zucchinis into it to beef it up with more veggies. Loved it!! I do the same with chili. I call it my, Very Veggie Chili.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 17:01
Attitude is a Choice

From the Daily Dish:

Quote:
Plateau Problems?

While it may be frustrating, it is not uncommon to reach a plateau in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, especially as you get closer to your target weight. Weight loss in this Phase of the South Beach Diet is much slower than in Phase 1, but that's fine in the long run since slow and steady weight loss is best for long-term success. That said, if you'd like to jump-start your weight loss, here are some strategies to try:
1. Try eating different foods. Sometimes people get into a food rut, eating the same things day in and day out, which may lead to overeating as a result of feeling unsatisfied with your routine. Add more variety and different veggies to your meal plan to combat boredom. This may be just what you need to get over a weight-loss stall.
2. Get adequate exercise. Enjoy a fitness program based on interval training, where you alternate between short bursts of intensive effort and easier recovery periods. When you work at a higher intensity for part of the time, you end up burning far more calories and fat in less time than you would if you were working out at a steady pace. This type of exercise will help you develop more lean muscle mass, which helps boost metabolism, in turn allowing you to shed unwanted pounds.
3. Keep track of what you eat. In general, the South Beach Diet does not require you to count calories or portion sizes. But you may be eating too much of certain foods to keep losing weight at the same pace. SouthBeachDiet.com's registered dietitians recommend taking a close look at the amount of nuts and low-fat cheese you're consuming and cutting back on these items if you're eating too much.
Our nutritionists are available for personalized weight-loss advice, so if you have specific questions about your progress on the South Beach Diet, foods to avoid and enjoy, your individual health, or weight-loss goals, then one-on-one counseling and support is for you!
4. Return to Phase 1. If you have plateaued for several weeks and still have a fair amount of weight to lose, it's fine to return to Phase 1 for a kick-start.
Finally, it's possible that your weight loss has stalled because you've already reached your healthiest weight — even if it's not your desired weight. If your cholesterol and blood-sugar levels have normalized, your desire to lose weight may be a matter of cosmetics. In this case, rather than focusing on the number on your scale, focus on how much better you feel and how much healthier you are.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 17:34

BF:

Quote:

Finally, it's possible that your weight loss has stalled because you've already reached your healthiest weight — even if it's not your desired weight.

I've thought about this often over the past few months, and as much as I hate to even consider it, it could well be the reason I'm having so much difficulty getting past 144. I don't want it to be the case and I will keep trying, but I know there must come a time when I say, "enough" and switch my focus to maintaining rather than losing. I don't know when that time is though.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 17:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Renee~
I've thought about this often over the past few months, and as much as I hate to even consider it, it could well be the reason I'm having so much difficulty getting past 144. I don't want it to be the case and I will keep trying, but I know there must come a time when I say, "enough" and switch my focus to maintaining rather than losing. I don't know when that time is though.

How do you feel in your skin...do you feel fat? do your clothes fit well...do you like what you see in the mirror?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 19:11

BF:

Overall I feel pretty good about how I look and what I have accomplished this past yr. I love the way my clothes look and feel on me. I have more energy and a clearer mind. I have more confidence in myself in many other areas of my life as well (I jumped right on stage earlier this month in front of a 1,000+ people and didn't bat an eye!). There are some days where my confidence lags and I don't feel so happy with myself, but I think those days will always be there no matter the number on the scale. This is most likely true for all women.

Being in "weight loss mode" for so long... I think it is going to be a challenge switching gears. That my diet is a healthy one and I am not starving myself or purging or engaging in other self destructive ways will allow me to ease my way into a different frame of mind. It creates a buffer, if you will. As I sit here typing this I'm trying to think through how I feel about going into maintenance...the nervousness or fear that I believed I would have...I'm not feeling it. I've learned how to eat so that if I should see a gain I know exactly what to do to fix it before it gets out of hand. Knowing that I know what to do is actually pretty calming.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 19:49
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Renee!!! Thank you soooo much for your kind words and cheers. It helps so much!

Happy to hear all the wonderful and positive things that you are experiencing right now...so incredibly great!!! It helps to hear a story like yours, to imagine the possibilities. And you're going to do a fabulous job on maintenance...no question about it.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 06:06
Registered Member

Stats: 240/203.4/145 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Judy, the bad news is that I used the weight at the dr.'s office as the starting point for my loss calculations. The fact that my old scale was 4 lbs. lowers resulted in my overstating my losses

The good news is that this morning, it looks like I've managed to lose those 4 pounds. I was down two more pounds for my official weigh in.

I have been laying off the wheat products and studying about wheat allergies and side effects. I'm going to leave wheat alone, and possible try adding some other grain in a week or so to see what happens.

I have also learned that casein (from milk products) can have the same effect as wheat on many people. Luckily casein is not as concentrated in cheese. This still means that my yogurt fix could be contributing. I'll let you know how that experiment goes.

I've pretty much worked the program the way it should be worked, with one exception. I haven't cut out coffee to the extent recommended. However, last week I did compromise and start drinking half decaf/half high octane, and I haven't had any serious problems with that transition.

I'll check in later. Thanks for the support.

Debi
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 06:18

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Name...............6/30..........7/7..........7/14..........7/21..........7/28
jmr410............................................................211.7. .........210.0
Judy...............154..........154............152.2.........153........ ....153.4
Linda H............161..........160.4.........161...........162.2
Pocobarb..........................................163..........159
Rebecca A......................182............183.2.........182
Renee.............145..........144............144.8.........146.6
sassafras..........................................................234
sissy...............195.4.......194.4...........194...........193.2
skippie.............216............................215...........213.5

I had a really good weekend full of delicious food. I went to Moes's Southwestern Grill and had the best LC salad. Yummy and satisfying! I made Eggplant Parm this week to bring for my lunches. I leave for a ten day vacation Thursday. I'll make sure I'm armed with healthy snacks.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: SB
Stats: 172/159.8/149 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

jmr410............................................................211.7. .......210.0
Judy...............154..........154............152.2.........153........ ..153.4
Linda H............161..........160.4.........161...........162.2........160.0
sissy...............195.4.......194.4...........194...........193.2

Last edited by Linda H. : Mon, Jul-28-08 at 07:51.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 08:00
Dazed and Confused

Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I didn't realize that coffee was frowned upon in the South Beach plan.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 08:04

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default South Beach Weekly Check IN

jmr410............................................................211.7. .......210.0
Judy...............154..........154............152.2.........153........ ..153.4
sissy...............195.4.......194.4...........194...........193.2..... ...193.2
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 08:15

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default South Beach Weigh In

I drink coffee on SB and it hasn't effected me. And I too,am not aware of coffee being a no no. You can have caffeine but not to go overboard.

Made Pavlova over the weekend and really enjoyed it with my greek yogurt mix with peaches. This was my first try at making meringue and it turned out great. The only thing I would do different next time is make smaller ones. I use a regular size cup,draw a circle from it and turned over the parchment
so I wouldn't get any lead in my system and filled the circle w meringue.

My weight stayed the same and I'm happy with that.When I don't lose weight I look at other positive things I did. There is always something besides the scale that makes program successful. Congrats to everyone who lost weight
this week and the same to anyone who is still sticking w it. Success is all around us.................Sissy
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 08:43
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

But next week should be better!

sassafras..........................................................234.. ........236
sissy...............195.4.......194.4...........194...........193.2..... ...193.2