Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 08:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
what do you mean by carrying over the dates when I post. I'll tell you what I did and tell me if there's an easier way. I think I copied the whole weigh in post, went down to a "new post" and pasted it and then added a few .....'s (haha) and added my weight from last week. Is there an easier way to do it?

How would you suggest to make my own bratwurst? I just pulled the package out that they came in, they were 160 cals per bratwurst, 2 grams of carb and 1 gram of sugar. I remembered seeing sugar on the label when I brought it home and went to look. Is 1 gram of sugar very much, I'm not very knowledgable in the nutrition area.

Good Morning!
Rebecca- Look at the list you brought down and look at the other lists. Do you see that you did not copy and paste the dates across the top? That is what I was referring to. You did everything else perfect!!

As for 1 little gram of sugar.....not really a big deal but truth be told, we do not want to be eating foods that have any added sugars. Sugar can show up under other names too like corn syrup and HFCS. Thats why we have to read ingredient labels to look for added sugars.

I have no idea how to make homemeade sausages/brats as I don't eat them. Good luck in finding a recipe if you do decide to make your own. Or be sure to look for a product that does not use added sugars.

THis is our list of allowed proteins:Phase I food lists

Quote:
PROTEIN
BEEF Lean* cuts, such as:
Bottom Round
Eye of Round
Flank Steak
Ground beef:

Extra Lean (96/4)

Lean (92/8)

Sirloin (90/10)

London Broil
Pastrami, lean
Sirloin Steak
T-bone
Tenderloin
Top Loin
Top Round

* Lean meat has, per 100 gram portion, 10 grams or less of total fat and 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat.

POULTRY (SKINLESS)
Cornish hen
Low-fat turkey sausage (3-6 grams of fat per 60 gram serving) can be eaten as an occasional treat (approximately once/week)
Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
Turkey and chicken breast

SEAFOOD
All types of fish and shellfish
Water-packed tuna and other canned fish
Salmon roe
Sashimi

PORK
Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin

VEAL
Chop
Cutlet, leg
Top round

LAMB (Remove all visible fat)
Center Cut
Chop
Loin

LUNCHMEAT
Fat-free or low-fat only
Boiled ham
Deli sliced turkey breast
Steamship roast beef
Smoked ham

MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)
Unless otherwise stated, look for products that have 6 grams of fat or less per 2-3 ounce serving
Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
Burger
Chicken, unbreaded
Hot Dogs
Sausage Patties and Links - Limit 1 patty or 2 links per day
Seiten
Soy Crumbles - 1/4 cup (2 oz) suggested serving
Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
Tempeh 1/4 cup suggested serving
Tofu All varieties, 1/2 cup suggested serving
Yuba (Bean Curd or Sheet)

Please note that the only sausage allowed is a low fat turkey sausage.

Great to see you in here posting Sass and Sissy!!

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Jul-21-08 at 08:37.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 08:27
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning, y'all! I am interested to hear what you think of the SuperCharged book...I'm not sure that I learned all that much that was "new" from it but sometimes I just re-read the books for motivation. This morning I re-read the Good Carbs, Good Fats guide. Just to re-acquaint myself with what's allowed.

Rebecca, I understand the confusion. Trust me--I was the most confused person on the planet about the beach for a LONG time (I hear Judy laughing right now, tee hee). Please know that you're not alone...it's easy to be confused because there are contradictions, and also because the whole concept is not as cut and dried as just "limit your carbs"--but it will begin to make sense eventually, promise! Do ask your questions here; there are lots of people to help!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 08:33
Attitude is a Choice

Ahhh...good Sass! The Good Carb and Good Fats guide is good....but our food lists are much more complete!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Can I join in here?

Name...............6/30..........7/7..........7/14..........7/21..........7/28

beachglass.......150.2
cheryl..............208..........205
Linda H............161..........160.4.........161
Judy...............154..........154............152.2.........153
Rebecca A......................182............183.2
Renee.............145..........144............144.8
sassafras..........................................................234
sissy...............195.4.......194.4...........194............193.2
skippie.............216............................215
Pocobarb..........................................163...........159

Copied the following from my journal:
I have to admit I have not quite got the hang of what is allowed / not allowed on SB. I have the food lists so clearly it is just a matter of looking it up. I'm just not able to accurately assume yet.

For example, I had some very lean deli pastrami for lunch the other day. No visible fat on it - I had assumed it would be fine. Then I was looking through the food lists a few days later and saw that the Lunchmeat section only listed a few items and did not include pastrami. But the meat section does...?

My basic approach has been no carb-heavy items (grains, fruit, sugar, etc.), only veggies on the Phase 1 list, low-fat dairy and cheese (minimal amounts), no alcohol, and leaner meats. I think this approach is working but think I need to be a little more clear on what the skinny (pun intended) is on the low-fat aspect of this diet.

I also think cutting out all the snacking, sugary treats, chips, etc. has had a pretty positive effect. Duh.

And surprisingly, I don't have a lot of cravings. I haven't knowlingly caved in on any restricted foods and am proud of that. And I haven't been really hungry.

My biggest issue (and it's small) besides getting to know the food lists better is figuring out something other than eggs for breakfast. I need to think outside the box here.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:00

Plan: hflc
Stats: 232/200/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello All, I am in week seven and going strong. This is the longest I've been able to stick with an eating plan and not feel deprived. I have a long road ahead of me before I hit goal, but I really feel like its something I can acheive. Its nice to hear from other Beachers. Thanks Judy!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:05
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr
Hello All, I am in week seven and going strong. This is the longest I've been able to stick with an eating plan and not feel deprived. I have a long road ahead of me before I hit goal, but I really feel like its something I can acheive. Its nice to hear from other Beachers. Thanks Judy!

Welcome and great job!!!
Welcome and of course you can join pocobarb!!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:09
Attitude is a Choice

Pastrami and other processed meats are not great choices. Stick with roast beef or turkey at delis.

On the breakfast foods...yes, do think outside of the old breakfast box. I eat anything for brekkie. Leftovers are a good one for that. I also will take an ind can of tuna and make it into a tuna salad with 1 hb egg chopped into it....and eat it with slices of cucmber and tomatoes. 1/2 cup Cottage cheese with chopped tomato and onion is another one I enjoy.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:11
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I sometimes eat Applegate Farms Spinach and Feta links:

http://www.applegatefarms.com/Produ...x?ProductID=114

There doesn't seem to be any taboo stuff in there.

The chicken and apple sound good, but I'm not sure about the concentrated organic apple juice:

http://www.applegatefarms.com/Produ...x?ProductID=116

What do you think, Judy?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 10:15
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
concentrated organic apple juice:

don't have much time now as I've got to get out of here. But concentrated apple juice is not for phase I or II.

You are in a different place with your food Susan and if you can eat these and not have any issues, then thats great for you.

We are allowed low fat turkey sausages as a treat, not a daily food.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Principles

Pastrami and other processed meats are not great choices. Stick with roast beef or turkey at delis.

On the breakfast foods...yes, do think outside of the old breakfast box. I eat anything for brekkie. Leftovers are a good one for that. I also will take an ind can of tuna and make it into a tuna salad with 1 hb egg chopped into it....and eat it with slices of cucmber and tomatoes. 1/2 cup Cottage cheese with chopped tomato and onion is another one I enjoy.

Thanks for your input once again Judy! Here's a question for you (or any of the other experienced SB'ers): What would you say are the main guiding principles of the SB diet? I find I work better if I have a grasp of the rationale, that way I can eventually make good choices without just looking it up or following a rule. Real life doesn't always stick by rules! Here is what I have figured out so far but please correct me if I'm wrong or off base (and BTW, this is more for SB as a way of life, not individual phases):

1. Aim for real rather than processed food
2. Aim for lean meat and low fat dairy
3. Get most of your carbs from veggies, and a little bit from fruit and whole grains
4. Keep portion sizes reasonable

Thanks once again!!!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 13:59
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocobarb

Thanks for your input once again Judy! Here's a question for you (or any of the other experienced SB'ers): What would you say are the main guiding principles of the SB diet? I find I work better if I have a grasp of the rationale, that way I can eventually make good choices without just looking it up or following a rule. Real life doesn't always stick by rules! Here is what I have figured out so far but please correct me if I'm wrong or off base (and BTW, this is more for SB as a way of life, not individual phases):

1. Aim for real rather than processed food YES!!
2. Aim for lean meat and low fat dairy YES!!
3. Get most of your carbs from veggies, and a little bit from fruit and whole grains (depends on the phase you are in. Phase I is no grain or fruit at all)
4. Keep portion sizes reasonable ( certain foods have clearly defined portions so please be specific here
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 16:04
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I'm bewildered by the lack of structure in Phase III. I've only read the main book "South Beach Diet."

From reading the Phase III menus, it seems that you can eat more healthy carbs. But it is totally silent on fats and amounts of fat.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 16:50
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I'm bewildered by the lack of structure in Phase III. I've only read the main book "South Beach Diet."

From reading the Phase III menus, it seems that you can eat more healthy carbs. But it is totally silent on fats and amounts of fat.

Truth is, by the time we are in phase III, we should know how much and where our fats are coming from. I eat the same way to maintain that I did to lose...I'm just able to eat a few more extras.

Maybe you should eat a 1st week's worth of phase II just to follow the plan for a bit. That would be phase I eating with +1 fruit a day and +1 starch a day.

In phase II, we build up to eating 2-3 fruits a day and 2-3 starches a day. For those who are in maintenance and exercise a lot, they can get it up higher than this.

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Jul-21-08 at 17:17. Reason: typos
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:02
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I'm currently eating 45-50 carbs in fruits and starches. I'm still eating a lot of green veggies. I need to eat 2,000 calories to avoid losing weight because I work out 6 days a week. I can only eat so much protein so I'm making up the difference in fats - eating full-fat yogurt instead of reduced fat. I cook most of my veggies in a combo of EVOO and butter. I'm putting cream plus water in my steel-cut oats.

I'm no longer eating gobs of whipped cream, cream cheese, high-fat flax baked goods that I ate VLC.

I feel a lot better with the additional carbs and decreased fat. That's where I am now. I know I'm a special case because I'm dieting for blood sugar control only. I think this is a very doable plan for diabetics.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:14
Attitude is a Choice

Yes, you are a special case Susan!! and I mean that only in a very good way.

Being that we do not count carbs on SB, I can only share with you that phase I can be as high as 60 carbs a day, if you eat all the dairy( 2 cups daily) and 2 x 1/2 servings of beans daily. I love hummus and due to its high fat content, portion control is very key!! I also make a very veggie chili...too good!!

Yes, I have to admit that I do not use all the reduced fat dairy. I love my Dannon carb and sugar control yogurt . It has a tiny bit more sat fat than is allowed.....I'm a sinner!!

Yes, I use H&H in my morning coffee. I also use a bit of whipped cream!! I really have mixed myself with the fats that I now allow.

I'm glad that you see this as doable for you while you manage your diabetes.