Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:16
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Default stalled and mad

OK....I'm mad as all get out!

I've been on PP for about 4 weeks now, and have been fighting with the same 3lbs up down up down up down for the last 2.5-3wks. I lost 99% of my weigt so far in the very first week! I'm assuming this is what a stall is???? I drink at LEAST 80oz of water a day.....i DONT cheat.....I dont understand?? I have upped my calories and fat intake...so WHAT is the DEAL?

Could this be a result of hypothyroidism? I test for ketosis daily, in the mornings....and nothing....trace at best. Kick start suggestions?? I am about ready to scream!

I know that the scale can be my enemy, so I've stopped getting on/off multiple times a day....i only weigh now like every other or third day (which isnt easy). I also know that sometimes you dont lose weight and inches at the same time....your body switches right? How long does it take to switch BACK?? How can I be losing anything if i do not see ketosis??

It is also my TOM, but it was when I started too....and it is not like i have been fighting with these 3lbs for only a week or so....it has been almost the whole time!

*sigh* I'm not frustrated enough to stop, or anything like that....because this is my WOL....not a diet. I guess I was just hoping to be able to reap at least SOME of the benefits.....

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:49

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:

Hello,

It isnt impossible to keep fighting the same few lbs... It is most likely that your body is readjusting to the weightloss you have already had. I went threw an ajustment period right after loosing 9 lbs.. But the good thing was I had lost inches during that week and a half ... I would increase your water intake so it reaches at least 64 oz a day plus an estra 8 oz for every 25 lbs you want to loose.. Dont get discouraged even though it may be hard not to... Tom can do funny things also .. I gained like 2-3 lbs during the week before .. But after Tom had come the weight started falling again.

You are doing great so far..........Keep up the good work and keep faith that it will come off..........Slow is better even though sometimes we want it all off now..

Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:00

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi

I can see why you are frustrated, but hang on in there. I was just reading your journal. Have you had the results of your latest blood work back yet? Do they show a lower level and can your medication be reduced? It is certainly possible that the medication might be getting in the way. However, what I would say is - how do you feel in yourself? I hope better, despite the frustrations. What benefits have you noticed about this way of eating? I found I was more alert and needed less sleep. Keep these positive messages at the front of your mind. Your journal says you are doing fitday.com etc. Might I suggest that you add your daily menus, carb and calorie intake figures to your journal as then others can check these through and offer further advice to you in the future.

Keep positive and keep low carbing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 12:34

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

13 pounds in four weeks is excellent. Think about the long haul, not just today or this week. I suspect you're having a normal plateau--still losing fat but nothing on the scale. I lost nothing from weeks 5-14, then had three dramatic weeks of loss. Your pattern will be different, but it will include several plateaus--and that's a promise.

You're doubtless more emotional about it because it's TOM, and you're probably used to eating sugar/chocolate/whatever at TOM, and your body is screaming for the drug...leaving your brain chemistry in a less than ideal state, thus, your hyperemotionality. Without doing extensive PET scans and without being a neurologist, how can I tell this might be happening? The number of CAPital LETTers in your post. (And lest you think I judge--I'll confess to being a bit of a ranter with PMS, too. lol) Typical experience of women is that the TOM stuff eases with every month. (some lucky gals have it go away immediately!)

So hang in there, keep working the program, don't expect miracles (a 1 pound loss per week on average from now on is still great results), and look at the part of the glass that's half full. You've lost 13 pounds in a month, and you're learning a permanent way of eating that will see you slimmer, stronger, and healthier in body and mind with every passing month.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 05:36
Registered Member

Default Thanks

hello all, and thanks for the wisdom....and encouragement....it goes a long way....trust me. I thank my lucky stars every day for this site....Normally I can find the encouragement and info I need every single day!

As far as decreasing my meds....just the opposite will happen...they will continue to be increased until my thyroid hormone levels reach the normal threshold...then they will be sustained there. I dont think it is the meds getting in my way, but maybe the inactivity of the thyroid itself...(ppl that have hypothyroidism have a tendancy to have an extremely hard time losing weight....and most gain and then maintain). Hopefully, the meds will help that...by allowing my metabolism and other systems to function like normal!

Thanks again.....as we keep moving forward!
happy LC'ing!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

Correcting a low thyroid condition with adequate medication to normalize the hormone levels in your body will essentially mean you're no longer "hypo"thyroid. You'll be what's called euthyroid, which means "normal" True, it's a gradual process over a period of months to titrate the amount of hormone upward to the level that's right for YOU, but when the correct level is achieved, then basically, you're on the same level playing field as everyone else.

Difficulty losing weight is only one problem with untreated or undertreated hypothyroidism, but it's the one most people (usually women) associate ... as well as chills and feeling cold and sluggish all the time. But there are things going on inside your body that you can't see, that are slowly improving with treatment as well. Things that will only be helped and further improved with low-carbing ... lowering cholesterol and blood fat levels, normalizing estrogen and hormones to reduce PMS symptoms and menstrual irregularities , improved digestion and "regularity", etc ...

There are quite a few members here whose pattern of weight loss seems to be what you're experiencing. They lose weight in "chunks" of 3 or 4 lbs, followed by a plateau lasting several weeks, then Whooosh! another chunk is off, and another plateau .... It's frustrating at first, but once you realize that's the pattern for you, then it's easier to accept. Tammy is right ... you've probably lost some inches during this time .. you did take measurements at the beginning?? And don't just measure bust/waist/hips ... measure the ribcage under your bust, thighs, upper arms neck, etc ... The fat doesn't always come off evenly all over the body. Some members have expressed disappointment there's no change, only to find their favourite shoes are falling off their feet, which have shrunk!

So hang in there, and keep visiting us often

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 10:00

BF:

Great infomation Doreen, I have hit another platue in my loss but I am confident that while im remaining the same give a couple lbs or two I am loosing inches.... Which thrills me more than anything... This is the adjustment period where people can actualy tell that I am loosing...

Keep the faith Nill, Hope the meds start workign sooon for you!
Keep in touch with how things are going with you . I will do what I can to help ....

Have a great day....

Your friend
Tammy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 05:48
Registered Member

Default plugging along

Thanks for the info doreen....you are a great resource here. And Tammy, you are a great inspiration....so thank you very much!

I have noticed that there have been 'changes'...so I do have a couple of questions regarding that....I've noticed that my lower abdominal region...the standard pooch belly we sometimes get seems to be shrinking...now it is smaller than my upper abdominals...which feels odd...and to be frank...looks odd too! I've lost some size in my thighs...and my forearms, etc...tad in the face. I've also noticed what doreen mentioned with the shoes! I think I lost a 1/2 shoe size!!

As I lose in certain areas...is my body fat going to perhaps 'shift'? to accommodate the loss? i.e., will my upper abdominal fat shift downward as the lowers are shrinking?? I went shopping the other day for clothes...as we are going to spain next week...and I feel as though I'm in a major inbetween stage in sizes. Fairly frustrating....but in a good way I guess. One of those ladies gyms is supposedly opening in this area, so i wanted to try going there when / if they do. They would be using resistance equipment, which I think would help with the muscle building and toning....

Tammy, how long have you been on your plateau?? I have had mine now for approximately 3 weeks, going on 4. I agree with doreen in that if this is a pattern, and in a week or two i will have another whoosh, fine. I will be able to deal with that...I guess since i havent seen it yet....that makes it hard.

thanks again so much....

#9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%
Unhappy stalled

I feel really discouraged. All the weight I lost came off the first 3 weeks, so I've been on a 4 week stall ( I did lose 2 lbs for about a minute!). I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.. not enough food. I checked my calorie intake on fitday and realized I've been eating about 900 calories a day. So much for a low calorie diet. I am just not hungry! Which is actually amazing for me. At the risk of shocking some of you, I haven't had to deal with this issue since before I delt with a substance abuse problem years back. I've got to go learn about this fat fast. What do I do? Spoon butter into my mouth? My waist has gone from 36 to 32 - hips from 43 to 40 3/4 and thighs from 25 to 23 3/4...but that too was in the first 3 weeks. The good news is, I don't feel the need to go back to the old way of eating. It was horrible being that out of control!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 16:28

BF:

Hi marti, Yes you will have platues during your weightloss. Yes you need to be eating more than 900 calories a day... If you are only getting 900 calories a day your body will think that its starving and will not let any lbs off... A true stall is about 6 weeks long so you are just probaly ina platue.... That is when your body is catching up to what it has just recetly lost... When it catches up you will start loosing again.. You should be aiming for about 1500-1600 calories a day for your weight.... Add some extra butter to soem vegies or stir fry in some olive oil... That will help increase your calorie intake... I find that sometimes that helps.... You can use fitday.com to help monitor your food intake to see how many calories you are takign in a day... I had the problem where i wasnt hungry for a while and had to force myself to eat more.. Now i find that i am burnign my food alot faster than before and need the extra food sometimes... You can do it.... I also find that a few nuts or sautayed mushrooms in butter is also great for gettign my calorie intake up... and a great topping for my salads.. or a peice of fatback here and there also helps get fat and calories up.. if you like some country food. Hope it helps some Marti...

Keep up the good work...

Dont loose hope you will hit platues along the way and then before you know it the wooosh fairy comes along and you drop a few lbs at a time....

Tammy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 16:34

BF:
Default Hi nill

Hello Nill, How is thing going? I was in my last platue for 2 weeks.. Then woosh... finaly movign down again.... Took my measurements and lost some more inches... seems great... I have slowed down some in the loss department but thats great also.. The slower you loose it the easier it is on your body...so i hear... I still get big wooshes then 1/2 lbs here and there.. Im happy with that... Thought about gettting out again now that the weather is so nice and start walkign again... Cant do alot of exercise due to my back adnhips hurting some when I walk...But Im not complainging.. Think i need a trip to the chiropractor again soon... But I have enjoyed gettign out and playing with the kids and dogs more than I use to.... And love the new energy levels.. Take care and hope all is well with you .... You are doing so great....

Your friend
Tammy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 00:23
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Tammy for the encouragement. I am so thankful for this site. I don't know if I would still be pushing through if it was not for you and others that have been there for me. Love you guys!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 04:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hey Marti!

Sounds like Tammy is giving you some great advice! You absolutely need to keep your calories up!! So keep logging into fitday and EAT UP!! That's the beautiful thing about this WOE....take advantage of it! Oh, have you tried a mock danish? I can ALWAYS eat one of those!! Yummy! Here's the link for the recipe .
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 09:51

BF:

Thanks Teri yes them mock danishes are just great... Glad I could be of some help Marti.. It is to easy to get discoraged sometimes... Just keep plugging along and it will happen...

Have a great day all

Tammy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thanks!

I'm at work, but I'm heading to the market to buy some cream cheese first! I can't help but think that this sounds like a no-no!