Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:11

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I am hating on the fact that tofu is being promoted as healthy, but it has possible side effects that are NOT general knowledge.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:21

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Goodness, like what? I know the Okinawans eat lots of soy and they're doing ok... Is there a higher prevalence of certain diseases amongst populations that tend to eat more soy?
V.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:25
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Soy is supposedly goitergenic and may decrease thyroid output. It doesn't bother me. I like it mostly in curry.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Male infertility is also a soy side effect.

I like firm tofu dipped in soy sauce. Since I only eat it on occasion, I don't worry about it. But when you have soy creeping in to lots of foods, you could be ingesting quite a bit and not even know it.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/no-joy.html
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 09:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
Why is everyone hating on tofu? I eat *lots* of organic tofu- in soups especially. I also press the water out of it and pan fry it with sesame oil, sesame seeds and soy sauce.
Speaking of soups- I want to eat more of them! Anyone have any favorites?
V

It seems to have effects on hormone receptors like estrogen receptors, as well as a goitrogenic effect like Susan mentioned. A little publicity over soy and everyone went crazy and started putting it in everything in concentrated form. Soy flour, infant formula, soy oil, soy isoflavones added to this and that, and such. I think the Japanese actually don't eat all that much soy, it isn't like a centerpiece of their diet, just a condiment more likely. So my feeling is, it may have bad effects in large quantities but an occasional nosh isn't that bad.

Oh, lots of people are allergic and intolerant of soy too. It's a good thing to experiment removing from the diet if you have those issues.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:30

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

There is some controvery surrounding the amount of soy we eat. Soy is used as filler in many foods and is one of the main allergens. It is also not good for people with thyroid problems. I must admit that I started having gynecological problems after I found out I was allergic to casein and started using soy. I still use some soy but, personally, have cut back. I don't believe it has been definitively proven either way. It's something I have noticed with my own body.

A Look at the Downsides of Soy

~Danielle
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:33

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
..... I think the Japanese actually don't eat all that much soy, it isn't like a centerpiece of their diet, just a condiment more likely. So my feeling is, it may have bad effects in large quantities but an occasional nosh isn't that bad.

Oh, lots of people are allergic and intolerant of soy too. It's a good thing to experiment removing from the diet if you have those issues.

I *believe* the Japanese use fermented soy products more frequently and it's about 8g a day - far less than most people take in who use soy products daily.

~Danielle
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 11:37
Dazed and Confused

BF:

As far as soups go, I have a hard time bolousing for soups if they contain too many carby things. I generally stick with chicken stock, chicken, various non-carby veggies and tend to use spices like tarragon. I also like Egg Drop soup and Hot and Sour soup. My soups are probably pretty boring.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 12:10
Experimenter

BF:

Hot and Sour soup! Thanks for mentioning that. I should find a recipe and turn it low-carb. Sounds nummy!
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 15:34

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Hot and Sour soup! Thanks for mentioning that. I should find a recipe and turn it low-carb. Sounds nummy!

I think the only carby thing would be just a little bit of cornstarch to thicken every so slightly.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 18:33

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I really don't mind the carby things that don't jack up my BG.
These days,I can do moderate amounts of brown rice,wholewheat bread,potato salad,new potatoes,thin crust pizza,thin crust fried chicken.Wish I could do oatmeal but that's
bad these days.Just got my carbquik from Netrition.We'll try a
few things with that.
Eat your heart out,Bernstein
Sweating in HHH
Eddie
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 18:49
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I can eat oatmeal! *does happy dance*

But figuring out what to bolus for 15 noodles and 3 chunks of potato is too much trouble.

No regular potatoes, but my new best friend is the sweet potato. No pizza unless I make myself with a LC tortilla and SF sauce. I'm not crazy about rice, but I can eat Orowheat double fiber bread. And Fiber One cereal with Calorie Coundown milk. YES!

There are people on the ADA message board who think they are doing Bernstein on 125 carbs.

Eddie is going to be cookin' biscuits for sure.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 01:10

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I got Carbquik from Amazon, I have had the pancakes and the biscuits. Heavy cream seems fairly essential for it to work well. The pancakes have a lack of substance compared to the regular thing, but still are pretty good. Biscuits on a pie cherry cobbler were really pretty good. I also used it to thicken the cherries and it worked OK. I am not sure how much it raises my BGs, as the cherries confused things, and my morning BGs have been going up even with just bacon and eggs. But it does not seem to create any big spikes. So far I am happy with it.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 09:45
Experimenter

BF:

I made cheese biscuits with carbquik, before I realized how sick the gluten was making me.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 09:49
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
The pancakes have a lack of substance compared to the regular thing, but still are pretty good.

Substitute flax meal for part of the carbquick to make them more substantial.