Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 11:16
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default What are you guys eating on your diabetic diets?

I'm getting rather burnt out again on meat. What do you guys do to temper the monotony of Bernstein's diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 13:04
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Last time I felt bored, I bought a large crockpot and began experimenting with low carb versions of crockpot recipes. Had lots of good food around for quite a while. That may be a better cool weather plan, though.

How about experimenting with grilling...different rubs and marinades, types of meat you don't always think about for grilling, kabobs, etc?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 14:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thai food should be pretty good. I made my own. Found a good Asian grocery for things that are hard to find. Got a simple Thai cookbook, subbed out high carb things, but most recipes are already very low carb. And Thai cooking can be very fast and easy too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 14:27
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Thanks, guys. Both ideas sound good. The heat is making it unpleasant to cook and I haven't been making the things I enjoy because the oven heats my little galley-style kitchen to an unbearable temperature. I've been hitting the salad bar at the supermarket a lot lately.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 15:29

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,
The last two weeks:
Lots of shirataki and pesto; asian steak salads; cauliflower "potato" salad; Amy-Lyn's flax crackers; lots of mixed green salads with tuna/ fried sardines/ marinated and grilled tofu; nutmeg brussle sprouts; small amounts (!) of steel cut oatmeal; stevia iced coffees; shaken beef (sweeten fish sauce with stevia) on shirataki "vermicelli"; lots of crab, sauteed in butter; dr. praeger''s spinach pancakes; almond butter on celery sticks; green bean tuna casserole; sheep's milk and bayonne ham terrine; garlic and lemon marinated olives; lots of new pickles; spirulina shakes with a couple of strawberries

V.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 15:34
Experimenter

BF:

I'm big on salads too. Often I'll put whatever meat I'm eating for the week on a salad. That's usually one meal a day. Salad meats are usually salmon (canned is good), grilled chicken strips, or left over steak. I like olives in my salad too, avocados, dehydrated onion, hard boiled eggs, etc.

I like to make salmon patties too. Salmon, egg, herbs is all I use. Fry them up. I use left over ones in my salad or reheat.

I have made Thai curries in my crockpot. Worked great! I would imagine that Thai soups would work well too.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 16:37
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I had a big knife and half an avocado in my hand yesterday and thought about you, Nancy, ha, ha. I put the avocado down and whacked it. Steak salad does sound good as well as crock pot curry. I get in such ruts with my food.

I've been thinking about trying shirataki noodles too, but someone posted that they were slimy and smelly. Salmon patties reminds me of crabcakes, which I love. I could dry out some 0 carb bread for that. I really miss bread sometimes.

Hey v-effect - how do you keep from losing weight over the long haul?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 17:28

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Almost always eggs for breakfast - doesn't get too boring, I don't pay a lot of attention to how long I cook them - lots of variety

Lunch - leftover meat, or precooked ham and veggies, or a tin of sardines, handful of nuts

Dinner - usually meat, or stew, or Texas style chile, and two or three kinds of veggies.

Red Wine, anytime after 4

I have a whole raft of recipes, most of which are quick and easy, and a vary my diet by using a lot of them

The one thing I do not do enough, is stirfry's, which are always a favorite.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 17:55
Dazed and Confused

BF:

What are your favorite red wines, Rob?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 18:43
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I had a big knife and half an avocado in my hand yesterday and thought about you, Nancy, ha, ha. I put the avocado down and whacked it. Steak salad does sound good as well as crock pot curry. I get in such ruts with my food.

Good! I think of you every time I forget to put down the avocado and whack it while holding it in my hand.

I have another noodle option for you. Vastly better than shirataki... kelp noodles! I forgot about them. I made Pad Thai out of them. They're very neutral tasting and get nice and soft when you cook them and they pick up the flavor of what ever you cook them with. I find them at Whole Foods, deli section near the shiritaki noodles. You might need to special order them, I'm sure WF would oblige.

Quote:
Salmon patties reminds me of crabcakes, which I love. I could dry out some 0 carb bread for that. I really miss bread sometimes.

IMHO you don't need the bread for the salmon patties. Just use a bunch of parsley, onions and lots of eggs to get them to kind of stick. Delicious!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
IMHO you don't need the bread for the salmon patties. Just use a bunch of parsley, onions and lots of eggs to get them to kind of stick. Delicious!
My wife figured out that eggs would hold them together pretty well too as I love salmon patties... I will mention the parsley and onions to her... thanks.

Breakfast: I usually start my day with eggs Benedict topped with a homemade Hollandaise sauce sans the English muffin…

Lunch: roast duck without the traditional fruit sauce; broccoli on the side covered in a melted Colby cheese and wine sauce, and a glass of a California Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, or Australian Shiraz.

Dinner: Chateaubriand with glazed mushrooms, asparagus, and a nice Chianti sans the liver.

Or. I still eat a lot of my Jimmy Dean Ham and cheese omelets for breakfast (2 mins in microwave and $1.15 each) – 4 g carbs. I eat eggs and cheese, olives, steak (6 – 6 oz NY Strip boxed at Walmart for 10 bucks) and hamburger sans the bun, broccoli and asparagus, tuna salads, salmon patties, green salads with a little blue cheese dressing. Grilled cheese on LC flatbread, chicken, lunch meat on flatbread or LC tortilla… Recently, I am becoming addicted to salt and vinegar pork skins. I eat some almonds too, on occasion. I fix and eat JPatti’s coconut oil + cocoa + peanut butter confections (2 g carb ea.) as a delivery system for Saturated fat (they taste great!). For dinner sometimes I will go to Subway and get their tuna salad without the tomatoes with oil and vinegar dressing (<12 g carb)… 5 bucks and very filling. Sometimes I use it for two meals.

More often, I eat the stuff in the prior paragraph… like WAY more often… haven’t had Chateaubriand in over 10 years for example… I am slowly venturing out and trying other LC fare. Roast duck does sound really good though…

I make 4 hard boiled eggs in the microwave in 8 minutes with an ingenious device I picked up from Walmart for about 8 bucks. They also have a 2 egg poacher (for the microwave) but the device above will make soft boiled eggs as well with less time.

I have started watching Food Network a lot and am learning some interesting things… like how to cut, peel, and chop an onion… /sigh. I am starting out with the Carbquik or almond flour baking experience slowly but surely. I can make pancakes and rolls now…

I am fascinated by the culinary arts, but not very versed in them. It is a whole new area of learning for me. Getting into the kitchen more and more… and enjoying the experience.

/smile

Last edited by Korban : Fri, Jun-27-08 at 20:07.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 21:12
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Korban, I once asked the butcher for Chateaubriand at the supermarket and he advised me that the liquor store was down the street.

Nancy, I love diving in kelp! I can imagine eating kelp noodles with some mean little California Garibaldii cooked up in a sauce. The little suckers bite!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 23:49

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I mostly drink Washington State Reds, very favorite is Waterbrook, Melange. It actually is not a bordeaux blend, more of a Super Tuscan. We had been drinking it for about five years when it got listed on Wine Spectators top 100. Kind of fun. My sister lets me know when it's on sale at the State Stores, I call all the local stores and ask how many they have on hand, and say, "yes". Any local bordeaux mix is normally really good. I typically can go to the liquor store and find a local wine from $5 -$8 that has good balance of tannins, acids, alcohol, and characteristic varietal flavors. My other big source is The Wine Outlet in Seattle which carries wine from $4-$400 a bottle.

http://grapethoughts.blogspot.com/2...n-red-wine.html
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 07:02

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Salads with slices of colorful peppers, cukes, sesame seeds, dark leafy greens. Homemade soy/ginger dressing.

Veggie stirfries with low carb veggies.

Strawberry/blueberry/raspberry compote.

Eggs. Cheese.

Grilled meat with marinades--the marinades give a lot of different flavors.

Fruit teas made with orange peel, hibiscus flowers, small bits of dried fruits, rose hips etc. A great flavor burst without a bunch of carbs.

Lindt 70% chocolate squares.

I'm not eating anything artificial right now because I'm healing from surgery and I'm eating more protein than normal as that is what the surgeon told me to do. My surgeon is very impressed with the speed at which I'm healing which is much faster than usual.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
...I'm not eating anything artificial right now because I'm healing from surgery and I'm eating more protein than normal as that is what the surgeon told me to do. My surgeon is very impressed with the speed at which I'm healing which is much faster than usual.
Glad to see you on your way back!

/smile