Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 20:59

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

You want my vote? LOL
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 21:02

Plan: Primal
Stats: 238/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Honey, you can have the breading. Mix equal parts full-fat soy flour with ground pork rinds (put the pork rinds in the blender) and whatever spices you desire. Fry the chicken at about 360 F in an oil such as safflower or canola.

Do the same thing with a cheaper cut of beef (like round pummeled with the blunt side of a meat cleaver) for southern country fried steak.

That sounds good. Especially for skinless chicken breast. I actually like fried chicken with no breading if it has skin on it. I like the McCormicks Season All! Thanks so much though... I will try that with the beef. I just need the soy flour!!! Yum!!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 21:03

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynnRN
That sounds good. Especially for skinless chicken breast. I actually like fried chicken with no breading if it has skin on it. Thanks so much though... I will try that with the beef. I just need the soy flour!!! Yum!!

If you don't have soy flour on hand, you can do half pork rinds and half parm cheese too.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 21:13

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

We use CARBQUIK . Works and tastes great!

Bo
  #35   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 21:21
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyway...
If you don't have soy flour on hand, you can do half pork rinds and half parm cheese too.

Yup, there's more than one way to skin a catfish and fry it too! Let's not forget the tartar sauce with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish...

And my absolute favorite bar food: fried mushrooms with horseradish sauce.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 21:56

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
And my absolute favorite bar food: fried mushrooms with horseradish sauce.

OMG! I *totally* forgot about fried mushrooms. I think I know what I'm making tomorrow!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 03:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm always curious about the intentions of posters such as Alastair (the original poster) who are so adamant that they are right and everyone else is wrong, and yet who has not poked his head back in to comment.

I think we've wasted enough time here, folks. I know I have.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 04:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/196/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I must first say that I am glad that Alastair has found something that FINALLY works for her. We ALL struggle with finding the right "thing" that works for our bodies.

I will admit that some of what she says has merit. I feel it IS true that we should not feel that we can eat 5000 calories in a day no matter HOW low in carbs. That is EXACTLY what I figured out happened to me 2 yrs ago. I had lost 50 lbs then got to a stalling point and could NOT figure out WHY I was not losing weight. I was keeping the carbs under 20 faithfully. Well now, in retrospect, I think I was having too many calories.

Does anyone know any rule of thumb for balancing calories and carbs so you can continue to lose weight? I know this may be contrversial to some, but people's bodies are different. I think we ALL have to be flexible and open to other ideas but still be able to maintain the low carb lifestyle.

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Lee
  #39   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 05:28

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Eating LC is not a lower calorie trick. In Feb '07, I tried a low calorie diet and lost for a month and then stopped. I gained 5 lbs. of it back before discovering low carb in September of '07. I lost 30 lbs. eating much higher calorie.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 11:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Well, I say, Good Luck Alastair. What works for one may not work for another. LessLiz is right, you should have read the book and then you would have known atkins was not for someone like you who doesn't like meat.
And someone else above said Atkins was hard.. Well, ANY WEIGHT LOSS program is hard. It's hard being Fat, it's hard losing weight, and others say it's hard to maintain -- i hope to find out someday!
Good luck Alastair--with your journey , whereever it may take you.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 13:08

Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%

I dont understand why so many people single Atkins or any low carb diet out when they say, "Yeh it works but as soon as you stop you will gain the weight right back plus some!".........Ok this is true but its the same for EVERY diet or WOE. I've tried Weight Watchers and I lost with it but once I stopped I gained the weight back plus some. I just dont get it.........Its best to just do what works for you in the end. The low fatters can give every reason in the book why their way is healthy and the lowcarbers can give a million reasons why their way is healthy. So why dont people just do what works for them and not try to discourage others from choosing their own path?......I may pick at my WW co-workers but overall I commend them for doing something that they feel is best for them. Hey at least we are all trying.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 13:15

Stats: 280/272.5/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I agree with most of what was posted:
1. the poster should have read the book
2. the poster's parents were cheating (as they said), so of course it didn't work for them.
3. if low cal works for the poster, then great! go for it
4. wondering about the poster's motives, which seem odd considering this is a low carb forum, so what did they think our response would be? LOL
5. ALL diets are hard. If they weren't, we'd all be skinny minis.

However, I disagree with the "if you don't like meat, Atkins isn't for you" line of thought. I don't like meat. I've never been much of a meat eater. I will eat it on occasion, but really could care less about it, and don't usually consume it. But there are still plenty of options on Atkins even without it! I have eggs, cheese, loads of fish, low carb veggies, etc. Meat is not necessary for doing Atkins.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 13:19

BF:

Quote:
if low cal works for the poster, then great! go for it

I have a problem with this general attitude. Low cal CAN work. So can starvation, taking speed, smoking crack and having your lips sewn shut. Of course, none of them address the actual CAUSE of obesity.

After reading Gary Taubes book and investigating the research and science behind insulin, blood sugar, hormones, obesity and weight loss, The only thing that truly addresses the issue is eating a low carb diet eating real foods humans evolved to thrive on.

Period.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 13:55

Stats: 280/272.5/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

True, but a lot of people can eat things that I consider bad for them and never become overweight at all. Not saying they're in the best of health or anything, but if weight loss is the goal, I'm a firm believer in doing whatever works for you.

I know several people who have all lost weight using various methods. Some kept it off, others did not. Didn't matter if it was on Jenny Craig, LA Weightloss, Nutrisystem, WW, low cal, low carb, surgery, etc. Results varied person to person for each. Heck, I've tried a lot of them with varying results.

I agree that low carb is the best option, particularly for me, but people are going to do whatever they feel works for them. Maybe it will, and maybe it won't, but that is their choice. I wouldn't want people berating my food choices, and I won't berate them for theirs either.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 15:08

BF:

True Gidget...and my comment wasn't directed specifically at your comment...just the attitude in general.

The important thing to me is that obesity is a SYMPTOM. Just getting rid of that particular symptom does not address the cause. Kind of like taking an aspirin for a headache while ignoring a giant spike in your head. The head ache might go away for a while....but you still have this giant spike sticking out of your skull....LOL

I am an opinionated 44 year old who thinks that people who just focus on the weight loss are being short-sighted idiots...but maybe that is just me.