Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 07:56
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'm doing better since joining this thread, too. As of yesterday, I was down 6.2 pounds, (but they're pounds I've lost before...)

I know they're water, I'm glad to see it go, but ankles are still swelling every evening. I made a doctor's appointment; need to figure out what's going on with that.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Okay, its still TOM and this morning I saw 200.6 on the scales. PJ, whatever you did by creating this thread is something special.
  #93   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 08:02
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'm *so* tempted to join you guys. I keep lurking in this thread thinking I might, but I honestly, I'm not sure I can do it.

I've been maintaining around 170ish for ages, a couple of years. Last fall we bought a new house, started renovations and my exercise regime went to hell in a handbasket and my food was sloppy, though not too bad. I crept up to 176-177ish. Then in the spring, I had a particularly bad patch off plan and ended up at 180 for a day or two before I started pulling it back.

I have been working on weight loss again since March (with lots of ups and downs) and have wiggled my way back to 167ish.

I'd ideally like to get to 140. Pipe dream territory.

I'd be thrilled to see 150. Day dream territory but achievable. That's 30 lbs from my 180, so that's why this thread has intrigued me.

I'm just not sure if I can do it. I need to restrict calories to lose weight, carb cutting alone doesn't do it, and restricting calories is not something that comes easily to me. I tend to crash & burn after a week or two or three on lowered calories and end up regaining anything I've lost.

I'm working really hard right now at figuring out how to outsmart myself, what methods and mindsets I need to get past those limitations and get myself losing again. My current tactic is not counting calories (makes me crazy), keeping carbs (and thus hunger) low but eating when hungry so I don't feel deprived (it's a mind game for me) and doing a crapload of low intensity exercise to burn calories (I'm averaging 90 minutes a day of walking, jogging or bouncing on my rebounder) and just trying to move more and stay off the couch.

I'm not sure I can lose the 17 lbs I have left to lose to make 30 for 2008, but I am trying.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 08:05
Registered Member

I don't think I can make 30, or even 5. I have a strategy that I'm going to attempt that might be something you can try, Val. I'm going to do some calorie restricting for a week, then increase the cals by 300 a day for the next week. If I don't restrict cals I don't lose, either. I am thinking that if I do it this way, maybe I won't crash and burn and maybe I can hit a balance that lets me lose slowly.

I still want to know what is going on with the scale now though.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 09:06
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well as I said in my first post, although I put an arbitrary number on it that was "a little less than one pound a week", my primary goals for the rest of the year were a whole LIST of goals -- and losing weight was only one and basically at the bottom.

There are many other things that if I can accomplish over the rest of the year, will so improve my habits and health that the pounds, more or less or none during that time, become fairly irrelevant. :-)
  #96   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 09:56

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 475/420/180 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default You CAN do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I'm just not sure if I can do it. I need to restrict calories to lose weight, carb cutting alone doesn't do it, and restricting calories is not something that comes easily to me. I tend to crash & burn after a week or two or three on lowered calories and end up regaining anything I've lost.

You CAN do it - look at what you've accomplished already - you are truly an AMAZING individual and an inspiration to me! What about going back on induction for a while? According to Atkins if you keep the carbs below 20 you can even lose at 3,000 calories a day!
  #97   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 09:58

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 475/420/180 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

QUESTION - what can I carry with me that is low/no carb that doesn't have to be refrigerated? I need something to carry in the car and stuff.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 11:25
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Although usually high in sodium, beef jerky, pork rinds, slim jims, some veggies like celery can stand up to travel - get some packets of mayo and you can munch on celery with mayo in a pinch maybe?
  #99   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 11:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Just wanted to officially record what my 30# goal entails. I made it up to around 234 this year from a low last October of 221. If I go from 234 to 204 I will reach goal, so that's my plan. I weighed in at 226 today but I have been hovering in the 225's - I'm packing water.

As far as diet soda is concerned, I won't even think about drinking Aspartame since I did a little research for a colleague whose husband was just diagnosed with ALS. It's been implicated in the onset of that disease and he was a lifetime aspartame user. It also give me a headache. I have used Splenda but I shy away unless I really need it.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 12:35
Registered Member

Lily, some brands of beef jerky such as JackLinks Original Jerky are quite good for this -- 1 g carb per ounce and an ounce is a lot of jerky to me. Some people carry individually wrapped string cheese. Nuts are good. Individual tear open packs of tuna work.

Problem with tuna and jerky -- lots of protein, very little fat. Most of us need more fat than they provide to be really satiated but in a pinch they'll get you through.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 14:26
Bouncy!

Lily, also look into these - http://www.oceanfisheries.com/nofla...ied_tomato.html - if they are in your area. I buy them all the time, a pop-top can, so you don't need a can opener, they don't need to be refrigerated and they even have veggies in them. 7 carbs, 3 of which are fiber and should be mostly fine for induction. They have other varieties, but this is the best one for low-carb, some of the others are higher carb.

And thanks for the encouragement, all. I have been trying a bunch of different strategies, and I've even hired a "coach". She's not a diet coach per se, but she's a life coach, and is helping me work on achieving this one goal. We've been working through my different ideas of how to attack this, finding what does & doesn't work.

I've discovered at this level I have to cut calories, as I said. At first I tried counting calories, averaging 1400 a day which, for me based on what I know are my maintenance calories of 2400 a day, should produce 2 lb a week loss. I did fine for about 2 1/2 weeks and then lost it. The backlash was that I ended up overeating and/or eating higher carb for a week or so.

So, I determined that either the calories were too low or the time doing that low a calorie was too long, so I tried to stick with the low calorie, but taking a break and returning to maintenance after two weeks. That was fine for the two weeks, and I returned to maintenance, but again, I had backlash and my maintenance got sloppy and when the week of maintenance was over, I couldn't summon the energy to start counting calories again, so my maintenance eating dragged on another week.

Then some time at a more moderate calorie deficit thinking that was the problem. More crashing & burning. I have a real thing about feeling deprived. I get major rebellion & backlash after a while of it and end up saying "aw, to heck with it" and compensating with extra food or higher carb.

So, next strategy, calorie counting does make me crazy (too obsessive & I end up trading carbs for calories, so I end up hungrier to boot), so that's when I turned to ditching the counting of calories and decided to try to just cut back in a generic, non-counting way and if I was hungry, eat, as long as it was pretty much induction type foods. I knew I'd need to make up a further calorie deficit so I decided to increase my exercise, by a lot. So, I lowered the intensity of my exericse a bit so that I could extend the time spent at it by a lot. I should be increasing my calorie expenditure significantly.

And basically, that's the strategy I've been using for the past 3 - 3 1/2 weeks. Last week I had some very, very hungry days and I know that while it was low-carb, I ate too much and didn't lose. I also went with my husband to his parents for 4 days for the long weekend (last weekend in Canada) and ate off plan for much of that weekend. Not too much, but too much to lose and I put on a bunch of water weight.

So, I'm back at the generic low-carb with trying to moderate portions now, lots & lots of lower intensity exercise and doing okay with it. I'm really not sure if it will last or if it's just a matter of how long before I crash & burn on this, too.

I was at 166.8 lbs this morning. My immediate goal is 159. That would make me "normal" on the BMI chart and less than I have weighed since I was 21 years old. It looks so simple, 8 measly pounds. It feels like it's trying to fly to the moon.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 14:27
Bouncy!

Wow, I didn't realize that was such a long post!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 14:42
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Okay, its still TOM and this morning I saw 200.6 on the scales. PJ, whatever you did by creating this thread is something special.

LOL, Liz!! and here I thought that you were maintaining!!

Nice!!
  #104   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 17:58
Registered Member

Judy, I am. I am completely at a loss but I'm going to buy something nice to send to PJ if this keeps up!
  #105   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 19:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 304/235/175 Female 5'4"
BF:O/M/G
Progress: 53%

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Liz, in hopes that onederland is only a couple of magic days away!