Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey, I'm checking in.
I finally was able to stay clean for a whole day today. My foods have been terrible the last few days. I sat at my computor last night and read a bunch on this forum while eating a package of Skittles. Disgusting, of course I woke up to a four lb gain since sat. morn. I have done reasonably well since Jan with only minor falls until sat and Sun. I won't post foods or weight for a couple of days-I just basically did induction today to restart ketosis. Anne
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 18:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

During the 18 months that I gained the 40 menopause pounds?

No, but I was following a basic low-carb plan. Mostly just keeping carbs to no more than 20 ECC a day, not worrying too much about fat and protein percentages. I really hadn't changed anything from what it was before. I had been maintaining in the 150s for almost 2 years, and then menopause hit. I didn't change my activity level or my food intake, and I gained 20 pounds in the first 3 months after turning 50, and then another 20 pounds over the next year or so.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 18:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil
I sat at my computor last night and read a bunch on this forum while eating a package of Skittles. Disgusting, of course I woke up to a four lb gain since sat. morn.

I know it's discouraging, but it's not 4 pounds of fat. More like 4 pounds of water. It will take several days of clean eating, but the fluid your body is holdling onto from the carb intake will be released. Hang in there!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 19:02

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

Hey gang...........

Minot setback,, but I will get back on track.

I am sorry about Elles departure, I consider her a friend. I can not even imagine what happened.

OK, gals, keep it up, I will be carb free shortly.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 03:42

BF:

Were the planets out of alignment or something? Seems like it was the weekend for minor setbacks.

I'm back on track, and yet I've had a Baja Bob's margarita every night this week ... something I said I wouldn't do.

Would someone please slap me upside the head this evening when I get home from work and reach for the tequila? I only have one, but still, the calories add up.

Have a great day, ladies!

May the (dietary) fat be with you!
  #81   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/the zone
Stats: 128/128/121 Female 5  foot 7
BF:
Progress: 0%

WHAT NO ELLE?! I've been away for a bit and am really disapointed that she's not around here anymore (although you guys are really great! :-)....Elle if you are reading this I miss reading your posts! You did me the world of good.
You take care now.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/the zone
Stats: 128/128/121 Female 5  foot 7
BF:
Progress: 0%

NO Whammies
Can I just ask you ot give me a quick low-down on your new work out? It sounds like it's going well.
Thanks I really appreciate it.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:07

BF:

I feel newly motivated-today after 1 clean day I dropped 2.4 lb of water. I feel back in control and i can hardly hear the Cheerios calling my name from my pantry.

Bawdy, we'll all be carrying big sticks as we move about the thread this pm-watch out.
Anne
  #84   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:24

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina50005
NO Whammies
Can I just ask you ot give me a quick low-down on your new work out? It sounds like it's going well.
Thanks I really appreciate it.

Yep - be happy to. It is called the Slow Burn workout. You do it once every five days. Set a metronome to 60 BPM. Take 3 ticks on the metronome to initiate movement, seven ticks to move through the flexion phase of the movement, 3 ticks to initate extension phase of movement and then 7 ticks to move through extension phase of movement (so a full 20 ticks or seconds to move through the entire ROM). Throughout the entire ROM, you never rest - at either top or bottom of movement, movement is constant, just very slow. At the onset of each exercise you set a timer for 90 seconds. If, when the timer goes off, you are still performing the exercise, you need to up the intensity (heavier weight, harder position, etc).

There is very little time to rest between each exercise (which provides cardio strengthening), only one set per each body part because you work to full exhaustion on each muscle group, and the muscles are worked in a specific order - let me see if I can go from memory here - chest press (or push up), leg press (or squat), leg curl, abductors (or side leg raise), side shoulder raises, shoulder press, tricep press, bicep curl, shoulder shrug, abdominal crunch, calf raises.

I may have left something out - but I think that is the gist of it. It takes about 30 minutes, and if you do it correctly and truly work every muscle group to exhaustion - do each movement with proper form, slowly, deliberately and with concentration and intensity, you wind up feeling like jello when you are done. I ache for days afterward (I am still feeling a bit of Monday's workout today) - a feeling that I have always loved. If you are interested in doing it, I'd buy the book (link is in the past High Fatting thread).

HTH.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:36

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Tish the few years leading up to menopause periods become erratic. Have one miss two have one miss three then every month then mine went every 6 months etc. They can also get extremely heavy at times.. I remember having a two week super heavy TOM. I was getting worried. I have been TOM free now for 17 months and I love it!

The problem is losing weight is hard at this time in our lives. And, we develop a midriff bulge that i never had before. I haven't gained weight the last few years but whatever i lose has come back. But we battle on right?

We just need to change things up a bit and find things that work for us.

I miss Elle too, she has some wonderful posts on this forum and gave of her time so generously. Thank you so much Elle.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:19

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi all -

yes Bawdy I am with you on trying to abstain from alcohol - I find it very difficult. I really like my 2 glasses of red wine a night. I do take off a day here and there just to prove to myself I CAN - I don't HAVE to have it every night - I just like it. Still, it makes me wonder why I can't get my body fat % down as far as it should go at this stage in my life on high fat/low carb.

I had a bit of a laugh this morning. Scales said 64.8 kilos - then, ahem, I went for a dump and scales said 64.1!! I cracked up laughing - a 700g dump!! That's nearly a whole kilo. Sorry if that offends anyone I just thought it was quite funny.

The scale seems to be jumping around all over the place for me recently. I'm presently attempting to really cut out any diet soda/sweeteners to see if they are affecting me. This year is the first year out of three on low carbs that I'm cutting stuff out. 2 years I was ok with maintaining because I was really enjoying the food and my skin problems were gradually clearing up (also my periods have very slowly been getting more regular). However I never really buckled down to cutting out AS (which I can't see myself sucking down every day for the rest of my life without some sort of consequence). Dairy is another matter - it is very hard to do low-carbs without dairy. I might just have a go at doing goat cheese again.

Anyway, I recently reintroduced plant matter again and immediately broke out in some eczema and my skin got all blotchy. So right now I'm back to meat/fat and the odd spot of broccoli.

Happy high fatting everybody!
  #87   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 10:09

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

The weird thing is the first two weeks low carbing I still had my nightly wine and I lost weight every day.. since stopping the wine no weight loss.. I figured losing those extra wine calories would make my weight loss faster but nope.

It's enough to drive me to drink!
  #88   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 10:47

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks to those who responded to my post. I guess I'll just have to "go with the flow" as everything sorts itself out over the next few years. Not hot flashes, though. (Bawdy, love your quote.)

I am bound and determined to be very, very good this weekend. It will be hot here in So. Cal., and I came across an idea for a refreshing drink - about 1/2 cup whipped cream in a container in the freezer, put into the bottom of a glass, and pour diet root beer over it. Like a float.

Sounds good, doesn't it? I don't have root beer, but I do have some diet 7-Up and Sunkist orange, that should make it like an orange creme!

Anyway, I am armed and prepared for a successful weekend. (The weekends are the hardest, aren't they? ...along with vacation days and holidays.)
  #89   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 14:53

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Where is everyone?
  #90   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 15:10

BF:

I just got home been away all day with dd.

Tish i make root beer floats all the time with chilled IBC rootbeer and frozen sugar free whipped cream in a can. I freeze the whipp cream on wax paper mounds and then slip into rb. Tastes good.