Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 14:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/176/155 Female 5ft 7in
BF:33%
Progress: 66%

Vavcon, thanks for the reminder, I haven't had spaghetti squash in years... I gotta try that soon! And probably be a decent substitute for my mac & cheese if I overcook it and chop it up a little!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 14:35

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavcon
I'm so sad that I'm in the minority, but glad it's workin' for me. I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds and roast for about 40 minutes. I like it with butter, alfredo and tomato sauce and plan to try pesto soon!
Chris

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's not pasta. It's a veggie, and while I do eat it, it's not better than pasta and not in the same ballpark. It is stringy and that is about as close as it gets to pasta But that's only my opinion.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 07:51

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Well, I got my box of DreamField Penne Pasta. As I walked into the house and saw it sitting on the counter, my wife gave me a look and said, seven bucks with the shipping, it better be good. As I started looking at the ingredients, my wife pulled down a box of Berilla Penne Pasta, which cost about $3.

I became very skeptical about the claims of Dreamfield. The ingredients, the carb count and the fiber count between Dreamfield and Berilla, are exactly the same. 42g's of carbs, 10gs of fiber, for a 3/4 cup serving. Dreamfield has some extra vitamins and minerals, but nothing that would make a difference.

Dreamfield claims only 5gs of digestible fiber. How can this be with only 10gs of fiber?

I'm skeptical and it may explain why folks in here have expressed that after eating it, they went into a stall.

Jim
  #34   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 01:22
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I ate a measured portion of Dreamsfield pasta and ended up with a blood glucose reading of 142 two hours later (100-120 is typical for me when LCing).

I later read an article where there was a disclaimer that it can cause blood glucose spikes in those who are insulin resistant (like me).

So I am staying away from Dreamsfield. More frankenfood I do not need.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I had it years ago when I did Atkins the first time. I thought it was great because I can't stand low carb bread or tortillas and it didn't have that same weird taste to it. Pretty good actually and I had no digestive problems with it. BUT....I totally agree with some of the other posts...it is a slippery slope and it is very easy to eat too much or let it open the door for other no-nos. Let yourself have it as a treat when you are having those times when you start to burn out on meat, but I would not suggest having it regularly.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

For dinner tonight I will probably make Rutabega noodles.

I used to use Dreamfield products, but not anymore. Something went wrong and there's a chance it was that. Not worth it.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:25
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

DH and I use and like Dreamfields.....no gastric distress, and it's never caused cravings for me. It's a good thing to have on hand, especially when I'm wanting comfort food, since it tastes like regular pasta.

All I know is that regular pasta will set off intense carb cravings for me, but Dreamfields doesn't - ever. I have no idea how they process it to have that be the case, but I'm grateful.

And yes, we like and eat spaghetti squash, too......but it's in no way a substitute for pasta. It's a veggie, and it tastes like a veggie - we like it best with butter and parm only. I don't care for it with sauces.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 07:25
Registered Member

Stats: 188/155/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Found it by Accident at our local Reids supermarket. It's terrific. Can't tell the difference it didn't make either one of us gassy (hubby tried it too) hubby said he wouldn't know the difference and kind of liked the fact he's eating healthy too

I do have one question when you measure it out how much is a serving/ I put less than I would normally for a plate of pasta and only ate half (was getting full) but I'd like to know how to measure it up

Thanks
Joanie
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 08:47
Registered Member

BF:

Since a lot of things don't tell you with good measurements what a serving is (What? 8oz in a cup or in a lb? Precooked or after boiling?) I go by "Servings per container" and just kinda divide it out.

But then I still haven't gotten that dern digital scale.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

That is what digital scales are for.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I controlled my portion by making a "Spaghetti Pie"

Spray a pie pan with cooking spray ( or butter it)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

combine in bowl:

cooked pasta
garlic butter (melt butter with garlic)
parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs

Put mixture into pie pan and press to form a crust.

Spread ricotta cheese on crust to form the first layer of "filling". I usually mix some italian spices into the ricotta first. Then top with the spaghetti meat sauce of your choice and sprinkle with mozzerella cheese.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbly.

It is easier to control portions with this recipe because you cut the pie into sixths or eighths. Total carbs depends on the size of your pan, how thick you make your crust, and how much spaghetti sauce (and what kind) you use. IIRC, my total pie was 53 net carbs and I cut it into 6 pieces, with an estimated 9 carbs a piece.

Enjoy!

(Again, I no longer use Dreamsfield due to the spike in blood glucose I recorded.... boo! )
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 12:32
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

i've used Dreamfields all the way down the scale, and am still losing on it, If you spiked, check your sauce, my BF and DD are both Diabetic and neither ever had a spike from this.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
That is what digital scales are for.
I know, I know... Soon... and when I do get it I'll be throwing weights around like Arhnohld.

7.08 grams of this, 24.82 grams of that......
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 16:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
i've used Dreamfields all the way down the scale, and am still losing on it, If you spiked, check your sauce, my BF and DD are both Diabetic and neither ever had a spike from this.

I will make a chicken Parmesan (in a few days) using the same sauce and report back. Of course, it could be a combination of the pasta and the sauce...

Believe me, I really want to be able to eat the Dreamsfield pasta!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 06:28
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnypot1
I controlled my portion by making a "Spaghetti Pie"

Spray a pie pan with cooking spray ( or butter it)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

combine in bowl:

cooked pasta
garlic butter (melt butter with garlic)
parmesan cheese
2 beaten eggs

Put mixture into pie pan and press to form a crust.

Spread ricotta cheese on crust to form the first layer of "filling". I usually mix some italian spices into the ricotta first. Then top with the spaghetti meat sauce of your choice and sprinkle with mozzerella cheese.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbly.

It is easier to control portions with this recipe because you cut the pie into sixths or eighths. Total carbs depends on the size of your pan, how thick you make your crust, and how much spaghetti sauce (and what kind) you use. IIRC, my total pie was 53 net carbs and I cut it into 6 pieces, with an estimated 9 carbs a piece.

Enjoy!

(Again, I no longer use Dreamsfield due to the spike in blood glucose I recorded.... boo! )
Love this idea! Question, though.......how much pasta are you using? I can't imagine a whole box of cooked Dreamfield's would fit in a pie plate....