Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, May-10-08, 17:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Bear says he figures most of what we call ageing is caused by insulin damage to the collagen. It makes sense: less insulin, less damage, less ageing.

How would you get a lot of collagen on a raw diet? Right now I get it by boiling bones and feet for many hours and making beef brawn or beef jelly. It captures all the collagen. If you ate raw meat, would you just suck on a bone?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, May-10-08, 17:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think he meant the collagen in our bodies, not the collagen we eat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collagen
  #78   ^
Old Sat, May-10-08, 17:58

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

Aren't tendons, ligaments, and muscle fascia also composed of collagen? These would be things we would not eat while eating cooked meat. Not 100% sure, but I would imagine the muscle fascia would be destroyed in the process of cooking, and I know I don't have much interest in eating ligaments & tendons, but perhaps our predecessors did?
  #79   ^
Old Mon, May-12-08, 15:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think he meant the collagen in our bodies, not the collagen we eat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collagen

I see. Thanks.

Maybe the reason I was thinking of eating collagen was because I was still mulling over in my head something I heard earlier - namely, that eating collagen helps in making us look younger. that the collagen from food helps to replenish the collagen we naturally lose through ageing. Is it true? I don't know.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 05:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

sarcopenia insulin resistance paper Matt Metzgar posted a link to this study (it's just a discussion, really). It suggests that sarcopenia (muscle wasting in the aged) is one more result of insulin resistance. Apparently mitochondrial protein synthesis, which is normally increased by insulin, fails to do so in two situations--in the aged, and in people with type II diabetes. Maybe when bodybuilders insist they need large amounts of carbohydrate to grow muscle, what they are in fact saying is that they are insulin resistant and need all kinds of sugar to blow past this effect?
I should have been clearer in an earlier post about what I meant by "as nature intended." I had more wheat-belly free, and by wheat-belly more specifically visceral fat, in mind. I also had some of those pictures from Weston Price's book in mind, the difference in tooth and bone structure shown in those who ate the "town food" instead of their traditional, more tested diet.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 08:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicie
I see. Thanks.

Maybe the reason I was thinking of eating collagen was because I was still mulling over in my head something I heard earlier - namely, that eating collagen helps in making us look younger. that the collagen from food helps to replenish the collagen we naturally lose through ageing. Is it true? I don't know.

I doubt it, it's seldom that easy. We probably build collagen in our body through assembling amino acids into it. But we break down collagen and protein we eat into amino acids. So in a sense, yeah, collagen helps build collagen. But you don't know if your collagen amino acids came from a salad you ate last week or from the connective tissue in the pork roast you had.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 02:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I doubt it, it's seldom that easy. We probably build collagen in our body through assembling amino acids into it. But we break down collagen and protein we eat into amino acids. So in a sense, yeah, collagen helps build collagen. But you don't know if your collagen amino acids came from a salad you ate last week or from the connective tissue in the pork roast you had.

But what about facial creams with collagen that are supposed to rejuvenate your skin? Is it a scam? I haven't tried them but was wondering whether I should buy one. Or maybe I could just soak my face in the collagen-rich broth before I eat it?
  #83   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:26

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

According to my esthetician, collagen just sort of plumps up the skin, but antioxidants can actually repair damage (if used over time) - so apparently the skin repair lines that are effective typically contain some type of antioxidant like vitamin C, etc.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 09:52
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicie
But what about facial creams with collagen that are supposed to rejuvenate your skin? Is it a scam? I haven't tried them but was wondering whether I should buy one. Or maybe I could just soak my face in the collagen-rich broth before I eat it?

I'm pretty sure they're just scams. I get sucked in every now and then but when I realize it out I get kind of embarrassed I spent $30 to put something on top of my skin that works just like the stuff I could get for a couple of bucks.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

magnesium rich diets slow the aging process.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 05:01
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 233/169/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack

And one of the foods highest in magnesium content is nuts. I go through about half a bag a day, so I guess I'm covered.

Gary
  #87   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 07:18

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR55
And one of the foods highest in magnesium content is nuts. I go through about half a bag a day, so I guess I'm covered.

Gary

I'd have to add that dry skin brushing, along with the nutrient-rich Paleo foods (like raw nuts), does wonders for the appearance of aging. I haven't lost all of the weight I want to, but I definitely look younger than I did a year ago.

I look at it this way: the body is in a constant regenerative process. If you facilitate elimination (and dry skin brushing is but one way) and replace depletion with positive nutrition, you can't go wrong.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 09:21

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack

How does magnesium slow aging? I've never heard that one before, a quick look on the LPI site and I don't see any mention of it either.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 09:58

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Magnesium doesn't slow aging.... well maybe it could slow the physical appearance of aging?

The only thing that has been proven to extend maximum life span is calorie restriction ...and I thought they had only proven this with mice.

Good thing LC is lower calories
  #90   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think magnesium is the most important of all minerals, especially the heart and yet over 75% of the population is deficient in magnesium .

""Aging is directly related to decreases in DHEA and is low or deficient in the vast majority of human beings after the age of 40. It is not wise to take DHEA supplements, however, as they prevent the body from making DHEA. A much healthier way to restore the body’s ability to make DHEA naturally is to use "Yinergy".

Magnesium is the most widely deficient essential nutrient, involved in over 350 enzymes. Deficiency of magnesium is associated with virtually every known disease: heart attacks, diabetes, depression, cancer, etc. Oral magnesium supplements are not easy to assimilate and many take five years or longer to give results.

We lose DHEA as we grow older. When we learn to increase DHEA by using the Twilight products, our bodies actually become younger, recapturing the higher levels of health from our youth."