Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 21:29

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgerms
I think I look way worse.

You wrote in your journal that you think you're gluten-intolerant. Are you eating a gluten-free diet? Have you considered switching to Paleo?

I'm sorry things aren't going well for you.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 22:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
You wrote in your journal that you think you're gluten-intolerant. Are you eating a gluten-free diet? Have you considered switching to Paleo?

I'm sorry things aren't going well for you.

Gluten is one of the key players in almost finishing me off. But just going low carb and losing a bunch of weight put on the brakes. The first thing I noticed was my acne-riddled skin clearing up, even before any major loss. The thin hair thickened; the ringing in the ears reduced, and I started to feel like I might be living, rather than dying. This was after many years of extensive and expensive supplementation and eating home-raised veggies, fruits and meats. But it wasn't till I got majorly off the gluten grains that the organic stuff did me much good. The old cliche is still true - it's not what you eat, but what you digest.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 05:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I want health more than youthful looks. If I live long enough, they're bound to find a cure for ugly.
My little sister is celiac. When she went off wheat, she didn't get better right away. For a while, she looked worse and was constantly experimenting with going off dairy and nightshades, too. It takes a while to heal, and it took a while for her to start looking better again, too.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 01:14
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
I was reading what Vilhalmur Stefansson wrote, about how he thought the Inuit people looked older than they should once they reached a certain age...for example, he thought that at 60, they looked more like our typical 80. At first I figured it was due to the harsher climate, which would weather the skin, but he mentioned something about how the girls and women never go outdoors...(did I understand that correctly?)

I've been wondering if this could be due to the fact that the Inuit probably didn't worry about how they looked as much as other cultures (even at that time), in which people spent a lot of time/money trying to look more attractive/younger/whatever. Although, I am trying to keep an open mind about the reasons of why the Inuit looked older.

I do recall that in the 1970's, when there were a lot of vegetarians (at least where I lived) I thought that a lot of them looked sort of weary and older...(although that didn't stop me from trying to be somewhat of a vegetarian myself , becuz at that time I really believed it was best for the planet...) My point is, I think that being a vegetarian ages a person a little faster, at least once they have hit around 30 or so.

But I would think that logically, eating the paleo diet we were meant to eat, it should keep us looking healthier/younger for longer....? I don't know enough people eating paleo, or even just low-carb, in my everyday world to make any intelligent generalizations. What do you guys all think?

I think people on raw paleo look younger. There are some befores and afters in the testimonials Here. I'm the first one but I've seen befores and afters of people who are reluctant to have their pics and testimonials on the web.

Craig
  #50   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 05:34

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Thanks for posting that, Craig. I think you look younger. Whenever I see pictures of people that eat VLC, they invarialby look younger than their actual years.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 09:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, two of the guys didn't have ages down, so I couldn't tell. I thought one did look a bit younger but maybe the haircut did it. The rest, I thought looked their ages from what I could see.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 12:15

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
I think people on raw paleo look younger. There are some befores and afters in the testimonials Here. I'm the first one but I've seen befores and afters of people who are reluctant to have their pics and testimonials on the web.

Craig

Thanks for the post, though I don't really think everyone necessarily looks younger, I'm sure they're all much healthier. The testimonials were a good read.

P.S.: I'm slightly concerned about the turtle shaped growth on your right ear... you should probably have it looked at.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 12:44
1 Corinthians 9:27

Plan: Hi-fat, low-carb
Stats: 241/239.8/199 Male 69
BF:Decreasingly so
Progress: 3%
Lightbulb

I hope no one takes this in a judgmental way, because I'm just giving my personal perspective on the issue. But I'm deciding to go into a healthier lifestyle for reasons that have nothing to do with appearance. Looking at a lot of the businesses and websites out there about diet and exercise, I see a monumental amount of vanity on display.

Look like a movie star or rock singer. Get your six pack. Flash those guns! Be sexy and get laid! The girls/guys will love it! It just goes on and on and on.

Now, we should certainly have a healthy self-image, I completely agree. But my aim is to live in a way that honors God, and an important part of that should be to live healthy. Life is sacred, and I should live in a way that is life-affirming. I want to live a lifestyle, not a deathstyle! I want to live how I was made. Physical beauty is skin-deep at best, and transient and ephemeral - here today, gone tomorrow. I've seen lots of conventionally "beautiful" people who I wouldn't give the time of day if I met them on the street.

The most beautiful people are the ones who live right, and it shines out on many levels, including physically. I encourage anyone to live right, celebrate the blessing of life, and tell vanity to go to hell, where it belongs.

#54   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
tell vanity to go to hell

How are you going to sell cheap goods for a high price to the ignorant masses with an attitude like that?
  #55   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 14:11

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I look like a gorgeous 20 year old. I don't care what any of you say!
  #56   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I look like a gorgeous 20 year old. I don't care what any of you say!
You've always seemed that way to me.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I want health more than youthful looks.
i am working my ass off trying to "fix" a bad hip.
i am eating right (shhhhhh on the ice cream), getting my rest, and doing normal exercises of yoga and bike riding.

i'm doing everything i can to get my hip back to walking.
it has degenerative arthritis and the hip socket is falling apart.

if this WOE can rebuild my gums, i'm hoping that it can rebuild my hip socket.
i could be wishing for too high of dreams, but hey.............

we shall see the power of Paleo eating.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 15:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

"We can rebuild you. We have the technology, we can make you better, stronger, faster."

Go for the bionics!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 15:40
1 Corinthians 9:27

Plan: Hi-fat, low-carb
Stats: 241/239.8/199 Male 69
BF:Decreasingly so
Progress: 3%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
"We can rebuild you. We have the technology, we can make you better, stronger, faster."

Go for the bionics!

Hmmmmm.... Cyber-Paleo? Cyber Caveman?

Unga *BRZZTTT!TIK* Bunga!
  #60   ^
Old Wed, May-07-08, 20:21
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Thanks for posting that, Craig. I think you look younger. Whenever I see pictures of people that eat VLC, they invarialby look younger than their actual years.

It's happening again - not receiving notifications for replies. I think that some of it is that puffiness goes down and reduces furrows and even fine lines. Though, I'd think it should be the opposite since most people who lose a lot of weight have looser skin. I don't know the mechanism for sure but it works.

Craig