Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 12:30
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
We are eating 50 per cent more meat than in the 1960s, and global consumption is forecast to double by 2050. More of the extra is chicken, and we eat less red meat than in the past (and a lot less than the Americans). But in terms of overall meat consumption, we are not even going in the right direction.

Considering the world population doubled between 1960 and 2000, it's not surprising that in absolute terms, Britain is eating more meat since their population trended with the world.

On a per person basis though, they're eating basically the same amount of animal foods today as they did in 1960 for protein, but much more vegetable oil and more plant-based protein.

Calories per person per day in UK = 3290

Animal protein = 54.7g per person
Plant protein = 38.2g per person
Total Protein = 92.9g per person

Animal fat = 106.3g per person
Vegetable fats/oils = 32.2g per person
Total Fat = 138.5g

Calories per person per day in UK = 3380

Animal protein = 55.3g per person
Plant protein = 44.5g per person
Total Protein = 99.8g per person

Animal fat = 77.9g per person
Vegetable fats/oils = 63.9g per person
Total Fat = 141.8g

----

While the article makes it seem like people in the UK are chowing down on much more meat each day, the fact is they're consuming a whopping 7-ounces more meat a year than in 1960....but 18-pounds more plant protein and 38-pounds more of vegetable oils/fats.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 12:33

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
232kg of corn = 227,360 calories.....

Where are you getting your conversion figure? I figured "Cornmeal, Whole-grain, Yellow" would be pretty close to the food value of unmilled corn, and that cornmeal is shown as having 442 calories per 122 g, or around 3.6 calories per gram, giving over 800,000 calories in 232,000 g.

Quote:
just 622 calories a day, not nearly enough to feed a child for a year.....

Unless they're on Kimkins...

Quote:
nevermind feeding a child just corn for a year would leave them totally malnourished not only for calories but micronutrients.

True dat...
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 12:43
Contrarian

Quote:
Where are you getting your conversion figure? I figured "Cornmeal, Whole-grain, Yellow" would be pretty close to the food value of unmilled corn, and that cornmeal is shown as having 442 calories per 122 g, or around 3.6 calories per gram, giving over 800,000 calories in 232,000 g.

Corn at harvest is on the cob, unmilled, and that weight is what is published as tons produced per year...thus how it should be calculated for caloric value - in it's unrefined state - so I used on the cob, unprepared for calories in the USDA nutrient database.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
Where are you getting your conversion figure? I figured "Cornmeal, Whole-grain, Yellow" would be pretty close to the food value of unmilled corn, .
I believe this is the problem with many of the calculations you see, they don't take into account what the actual product is composed of. Corn meal would be much more densely packed than corn cobs.

Similarly, the so called corn harvest to lbs of beef relationship ignores that most of what the cow eats is indigestable to humans. It contains food value, but we would need extra stomachs to make use of it.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 14:00
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Hey!

No fair actually doing the math. You're supposed to just accept their opinion and respect it. Are you some sort of hater?

LOL - yeah I hate data manipulators!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 14:02
Contrarian

Quote:

Similarly, the so called corn harvest to lbs of beef relationship ignores that most of what the cow eats is indigestable to humans. It contains food value, but we would need extra stomachs to make use of it.

Exactly!

ETA: Also, contrary to what we're told, people are eating LESS bovine meat (beef) in the world today than in 1990. FAO data shows that in 1990 the per capita calories from beef was 45.51 per day per person.....in 2003 (last available year from the database), that had fallen to 39.98 calories per person per day.

Now, granted, the world population grew by about a billion people in that period of time - but beef production did not keep availability steady, it declined....what really increased was calories from pork and poultry, vegetable oils, and fruits and vegetables.

Last edited by ReginaW : Mon, Apr-21-08 at 14:46.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 16:35

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Good! So since the Global Temperature has actually been cooler for the last decade, he gets the credit for that too! Outdoor Air Conditioning! Yay!

I once saw data about how Mars has been slightly warmer in the last century too. I suppose this means "Cows on Mars"?

No, no, no, there's a Starbuck's on Mars. That's the problem.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 16:51

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
I agree. That way everyone who wants to return to a simpler, better time, could line up for the trucks and help us reach it by volunteering to reduce the population.

hahaha but is that atkins friendly the people crackers? im teasing baerdric
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 17:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande2211
No, no, no, there's a Starbuck's on Mars. That's the problem.
Now I've never been to a Starbucks (Because I heard it made men dress up in suits and wear ponytails) so I don't know how they could cause Global Climate Change. Do they burn styrofoam cups?
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 15:08
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I guess that depends on what you mean by "the developed world". Many people in Third World countries are starving. But they are not starving because of a lack of food as such, but rather from a lack of Freedom, Education and Technology. Many could grow food if they weren't busy fending off warlords who steal any aid sent their way.
By "developed world" I mean most of the industrialized first world nations plus China and India, if they aren't already considered to be in that category, and IMO not just millions but billions of people are starving.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 16:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
plus China and India
Ah, that explains the confusion.

Quote:
IMO not just millions but billions of people are starving.
Really! How many billions would you estimate? I'm thinking more than 10 billion but less than 25 billion?
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 17:22
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Ah, that explains the confusion.

Really! How many billions would you estimate? I'm thinking more than 10 billion but less than 25 billion?
Is that what you think I estimate or is it what you estimate?
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Is that what you think I estimate or is it what you estimate?
Well the way you stated that "billions" were starving, there was no telling what you might think. Clearly at least two billion, which is almost a third of humanity, but probably more. I find that fascinating.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 18:29
Dog is my copilot

BF:

Quote:
Well the way you stated that "billions" were starving, there was no telling what you might think. Clearly at least two billion, which is almost a third of humanity, but probably more. I find that fascinating.
Joke's on me, I guess, if you think I meant a number greater than the total population of the planet.

I do, in fact think that there are somewhere between two and three billion people worldwide suffering from serious malnutrition, and possibly a couple billion of them (mostly manifested as metabolic syndrome/diabetes) in the industrialized nations.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 18:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I do, in fact think that there are somewhere between two and three billion people worldwide suffering from serious malnutrition, and possibly a couple billion of them (mostly manifested as metabolic syndrome/diabetes) in the industrialized nations.
Ok then, now that we have redefined "the developed world" to include the two largest national populations even though they are really Emergent Nations, and redefined "starvation" to mean imperfect nutrition (largely due to political and cultural issues), then I agree with you.