Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/160/165 Male 69inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

thanks, if I'm lucky enough to get appointment with Dr Hepburn I'll definitely let you know how it went :-]
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 18:37

BF:

Hi Cyclist,

I just noticed on your bio that you're currently researching the low carb lifestyle. Have you actually started eating an LC diet, or are you still undecided about it? I think all of us here can give you raving testimonials about how great the LC lifestyle is - it provides so much more than simply an easy way to lose weight

You certainly picked the best book for your research - 'Good Calories-Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes is incredibly well researched and is arguably the definitive book. Also, here's a link to a famous essay that Taubes wrote for The New York Times called 'What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie?' It provides a great sample of Taube's brilliant historical and scientific understanding of the 'low-carb versus high-carb' paradox.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...8B63&sec=health

Furthermore, here's a good video of Gary Taubes giving a seminar at at the Stevens Institute of Technology, Feb, 2008 (about 45 minutes)
http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot...ary-taubes.html

cheers!
Scott
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 22:59

Plan: My own/Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/199/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernEx
Hi Cyclist,

I just noticed on your bio that you're currently researching the low carb lifestyle. Have you actually started eating an LC diet, or are you still undecided about it? I think all of us here can give you raving testimonials about how great the LC lifestyle is - it provides so much more than simply an easy way to lose weight

You certainly picked the best book for your research - 'Good Calories-Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes is incredibly well researched and is arguably the definitive book. Also, here's a link to a famous essay that Taubes wrote for The New York Times called 'What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie?' It provides a great sample of Taube's brilliant historical and scientific understanding of the 'low-carb versus high-carb' paradox.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...8B63&sec=health

Furthermore, here's a good video of Gary Taubes giving a seminar at at the Stevens Institute of Technology, Feb, 2008 (about 45 minutes)
http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot...ary-taubes.html

cheers!
Scott
Thanks for those links!

I've started off just avoiding the obvious "offenders" of sugar and the various white flour products. To see how it would go. It's been about two weeks, and it's been surprisingly easy so far, and I feel pretty good. I thought I'd be a tough nut to crack with my love of bread, pasta, Coke, and milk chocolate. Out of habit I bought a Dairy Milk on the weekend, then promptly forgot, and found it in the fridge this morning.

I'm loving Good Calories, Bad Calories. I took some advice off this forum and skipped to the Epilogue, and now I'm back in the middle. Amazing stuff.

I think at this point I'm convinced that cutting out a huge portion, if not most, of the carbs I've been scarfing for the last 40 years (all my life!) will be a good thing to do. My husband isn't changing with me, but he's completely supportive. I've found it fairly easy to prepare "normal" meals for my family while doing simple things to make it better for me.

Thanks again for the info! Nice to see so many Islanders here.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Dr. Dave Hepburn (I'm positive his articles used to be in one of our local rags, possibly the Victoria News Gazette or Monday Magazine, must find out) works out of the Westside Integrative Health Clinic in the Westside Village, which is in Vic West, just over the Bay Street (actually properly named the Pt. Ellice Bridge) or even the Blue Bridge (Johnston Street Bridge) from downtown Victoria. Corner of Bay and Catherine Streets. It's just inside the shopping "centre" square, across from the video store. The CATCH is it's drop-in only, and I'm pretty sure you can't make an appointment. I've been trying to get my mum (hypoglycemic) hooked up there for ages. You can, however, find Dr. Dave's days on duty and hang there specifically to see him, and be sure to get there early (opens at 08:30). He's had a long-standing reputation for dealing well with thyroid issues and the relationship with metabolism/hormone related sensitivities is clear.

For more fun, anyone who wants to be notified when there are posts for our dinner/lunch dates, just go to this post:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=366618 which is this month's, titled the Victoria April Lunch/Dinner, here in this Canada subforum, and subscribe or post with email notification turned on. Helps to track any changes in location or time as needed, and in the end, there will be a link embedded to the next monthly occasion. We've got it down to a fine art, now!

There's some great stuff in the LowCarb Research & Studies/Media Watch subforum, specifically about the documentary My Big Fat Diet, I'm enjoying popping in there regularly and anyone who is somewhat technically inclined will also enjoy LC Research/Media subforum (though I don't get why there are 2 of these, the topical description lines are pretty strangely alike; must look into this).

I've just recently had a brief email chat with an acquaintance/customer in Sherbrooke in QC (and just recently back in the fold of LC and improved health); this fellow sent me a PDF precis/summary of the Taubes GCBC book (which I have and am willing to share once I get a chance to dig through it, honest!). He's happy for me to share the pdf with you, too.

And here's fun (if you LOVE to cook and are a geek and foodie as l am), check out the LowCarb Kitchen & Recipes subforum, especially my fave, Kitchen Talk...

Anyway! Glad to see a few new monikers from around here! Hope to see your faces someday soon (Tuesday, if I'm not stuck on some weird shift) and welcome to our world...

#20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 18:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Dr. Dave Hepburn (I'm positive his articles used to be in one of our local rags, possibly the Victoria News Gazette or Monday Magazine, must find out)

Anyway! Glad to see a few new monikers from around here! Hope to see your faces someday soon (Tuesday, if I'm not stuck on some weird shift) and welcome to our world...

Hi IslandGirl,

Cyclist13 says that Dr Hepburn's articles are in the Sunday Province.

...many thanks for the welcome, the links, and all the feedback ...
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 20:01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernEx
Hi IslandGirl,

Cyclist13 says that Dr Hepburn's articles are in the Sunday Province.

...many thanks for the welcome, the links, and all the feedback ...

Yeah, I read that. He started here in Victoria; I was saying he used to be in one of the local papers...

#22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 11:53

BF:

[QUOTE=IslandGirl]Yeah, I read that. He started here in Victoria; I was saying he used to be in one of the local papers...

thanks
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 22:18
Registered Member

Hey there, Cyclist and NortherEx, sure hope you have subscribed to this thread...

I'm hoping to point you to Another Victoria Get-together... (or some such title) thread, where we, who hoped to see you tonight at our roughly monthly little "lowcarbers who lunch -- or dine" get-together, we sadly disappointed!

We're taking another crack at it, this coming Monday the 28th...check out this thread and maybe we will see you then....we're a mixed bunch who have a lot of fun taking the mick out of wait staff and deconstructing menus.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 13:25

Plan: My own/Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/199/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sorry IslandGirl! Thanks so much for the invite and all, but I'm (sadly) a couple of hours north of that lovely city of yours.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 19:56

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
We're taking another crack at it, this coming Monday the 28th...check out this thread and maybe we will see you then....we're a mixed bunch who have a lot of fun taking the mick out of wait staff and deconstructing menus.

You wouldn't be referring to me here would you now my dear friend???? Who me? Innocent me? Me and my naked wings?

Taking the Mickey out of poor unsuspecting waiters is an Olympic sport isn't it?

ROFLOL

Julie
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 22:28

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

You collect "mice" anywhere you can, don't you!! I don't know about the rest of you but that waiter last night got my order right so I tipped him appropriately! I should have given Julie the tip ... all I did was ditto her order!!!

Cyclist, I guess that puts you in Parksville, or thereabouts? I agree - a little far to come just for dinner. Please let us know next time you're coming to Victoria for a day or two - maybe we can put something together! We always love an excuse for an extra get-together!!!

Glenda
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 07:43

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Just a thought - but Parksville is a nice day trip....

Julie
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 19:56
Registered Member

Uh huh!