Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 13:09

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've always wondered about rennet. It is derived from cows, but is in most goat and sheep cheese....as a result, I avoid that, as well. Anyone know anything about it as far as dairy sensitivity goes?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 13:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No except it's found in the stomach, not the mammary glands, so it probably doesn't contain any milk proteins. The way cheese was first created, I've heard, is that they stored the milk in the stomach and the rennet in the stomach curdled the milk.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 14:04

BF:

Ohhhh...okay! Thanks.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, May-24-08, 10:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
A lot of people don't realize that casien is a dairy derivative - and wind up never understanding why they are still having trouble with dairy. It is pretty insidious how they sneak all kinds of dairy crap into things. That's why whenever someone on the boards saids they need to cut out dairy I try to give them a list of ingredients to look for - because otherwise they'll be spinning their wheels wondering why the cut out dairy and still feel like crap. It's kind of like gluten and how sneaky that stuff is - it's ubiquitous.

only reason why I know is from doing research for my best friend for her child with autism. Thankfully but I will make up a note card to keep with me of all the things I should look for. I'm pretty good about buying simple foods (only frozen things are burgers, veggies when not in season - those sorts of simple things)
  #80   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/242/155 Female 5'3"
BF:47.5/41.4/25.8
Progress: 33%

I've noticed Dairy does things to my body to cause it to stall.... I've also noticed that if I eat somethings my nose begins to run... I had fajitas last night and my nose began to run, I thought it was because of hidden carbs.... I would've never guessed it was the peppers. =O
  #81   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 08:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalcbabe
I've noticed Dairy does things to my body to cause it to stall.... I've also noticed that if I eat somethings my nose begins to run... I had fajitas last night and my nose began to run, I thought it was because of hidden carbs.... I would've never guessed it was the peppers. =O

Hmm..you might want to try cutting it out for a bit. It could be doing some other things too, and the runny nose is just the symptom you are noticing. If you are having that type of a response to dairy, chances are you are also having an inflammatory response to it - and inflammatory responses are dangerous in all kinds of ways (especially to your circulatory system and heart). Try cutting it out and see if all kinds of other things feel better. I did, and things that I had no idea were dairy related cleared up. I thought it was just a runny nose - turned out that some chronic pain issues were dairy.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 09:11
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, peppers will make your nose run. I think that's why they say eating spicy food clears the sinuses. It doesn't, just makes the sinuses weep some fluid.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 07:17

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

I posted this on my other forum two days ago and thought I would share it here as well. What do you think, Nancy (et al), does this sound like dairy allergy? Today is day 7 of my dairy/egg elimination.

Here are things I've noticed since eliminating pasteurized butter from my diet (the only dairy I was still consuming):

1) Ulcerations in my lower lip have decreased significantly and is much smoother. There is still a bit of it there, but not as much for sure.

2) Mouth feels cleaner, not feeling the need to brush very frequently all the time.

3) Abdominal gurgling and cramping around my ileocecal valve has decreased a lot and is not so uncomfortable as before.

4) Better energy, mentally and physically. I'm not falling into as much fatigue and brain fog immediately after eating like was happening when I was eating large amounts of butter. It is still there, but has improved. I actually got outside after lunch and took a long walk around my office building in the great sunlight. My brain just feels sooo switched ON without dairy.

5) Unexpected, but read about this: Sexual energy/desire has increased. For quite a while I was basically feeling pretty impotent-like. Now, arousal is a bit easier and seems to come a little more frequently and naturally. Very strange, but welcomed, of course. Not sure if this is from the increased caloric intake as of late, or the dairy elimination, but I think its safe to say that a combination of both is at play.

6) Dry skin seems to be better. Still lingering (a lot of that comes from Accutane changes), but seems improved on body overall. I've noticed I don't need to rely on a fat on my face to moisturize any longer. I think my replacement tallow may be helping here.

(Edited) 7) Forgot to mention that joint and musculoskeletal pain is much better since cutting the butter.

Last edited by Jayppers : Sat, May-31-08 at 11:39.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 13:10

Plan: neanderthin
Stats: 220/165/160 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
6) Dry skin seems to be better. Still lingering (a lot of that comes from Accutane changes), but seems improved on body overall. I've noticed I don't need to rely on a fat on my face to moisturize any longer. I think my replacement tallow may be helping here.

Hi everybody (my first post)!!!

Why you using Accutane? If you have ANY skin problem:
*High saturated fat diet (meat, coconut)
*No gluten
*No dairy
*No polyunsaturated oils
*Carbs - vegs, roots, berries and non-sweet fruits.
*Cod liver oil x 3
*Don`t use creams - cause aging (omega-6), only coconut oil (saturated).
*Finally, most important - get your rays every day. Yep, uva and uvb rays - sun or tanning bed.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Did someone post about how Northern Europeans have evolved to digest milk, or am I imagining that?
I was gonna say this

In Northen Europe and especially in Scandinavia, lactose intolerance is very very rare. I know this has nothing to to with Paleo, just wanted to point out that different things apply to different regions (or people from those regions).
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 03:28

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

The French are known for their slender figures.. what's their main food :

CHEEEEEESE
WINE
DARK CHOCOLATE

Please read more about the French Cheese and Wine diet and the French Paradox,

I accept some of us are allergic and intolerant to some food item, and if your diet entails no Cheese I respect that, but please stop vilifying cheese, and broadcasting its evil for everyone.. this is simply not true.

An no, the Northern Europeans are not especially mutants, so they haven't developed a special tolerance.... btw I thought a lot of Americans are of Northern European.
origin !!
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 220/207/170 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhite
I was gonna say this

In Northen Europe and especially in Scandinavia, lactose intolerance is very very rare. I know this has nothing to to with Paleo, just wanted to point out that different things apply to different regions (or people from those regions).

In paleo times the lactase producing gene was switched off after weaning.

It is now widely believed that a genetic mutation about 10,000 years ago enabled milk to be consumed into adulthood, in populations which had begun dairy farming, especially Northern Europe.

This article explains it in depth: http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/...l/5201297a.html

And also has a look at a similar mutation in some African populations, hence the Masai.

However just because we people of Northern European descent aren't lactose intolerant that doesn't mean that the fats and proteins and carbs in milk are necessarily the best food for us.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 09:37
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^That's a great article! I believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
CHEEEEEESE
[/SIZE]

I accept some of us are allergic and intolerant to some food item, and if your diet entails no Cheese I respect that, but please stop vilifying cheese, and broadcasting its evil for everyone.. this is simply not true.

LOL, I hear ya. If not for cheese and yogurt my calcium intake would be significantly reduced. More calcium potentially equals more weight loss according to some studies. Fun side effect?
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
^That's a great article! I believe it.

LOL, I hear ya. If not for cheese and yogurt my calcium intake would be significantly reduced. More calcium potentially equals more weight loss according to some studies. Fun side effect?

I only heard of this more calcium = more fat loss recently..

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...iet.html?cat=51
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:58
Experimenter

BF:

Lately I've heard that it was disproved in a new study. And again, just because the two are linked it doesn't mean one causes the other.

Somehow most people in the world don't eat dairy products at all yet have much better bones than most Americans do. Personally I think it is because the sugars and grains are either blocking calcium absorption or are destroying bone. So, if you don't eat the sugars and grains, you don't need the enormous quantities of calcium that people are consuming.

And now high calcium intake is starting to be associated with higher levels of heart disease too.