Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd suggest using some other animal fat while you do your butter experiment. I like to use the fat off ducks to cook with. Just roast a duck and capture all the drippings. It's delicious!

You could try clarifying butter (turning it to ghee), it'll reduce the milk solids. There are instructions all over the internet just search on "how to make ghee".
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 19:44

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Thanks.

It's not so much using fat to cook with, but consuming it straight to keep my fat intake high. Butter is sooo convenient for this, but rendering duck fat and stuff, I guess I just have been too lazy for all that for so long that I've never gotten around to doing a total dairy free experiment.

I know where I can go and purchase some ghee, so perhaps I'll give that a go first and see how things go. If that doesn't produce any results, then I'll think about taking the steps to find a butter/ghee replacement fat at least long enough to do a short elimination experiment.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 20:56
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It's really worrisome to consider that milk may actually be carrying anything related to gluten. I mean it's bad enough that gluten is in nearly every damn thing, but if we had to expand that to include everything that contains milk or its byproducts, boy that sure wipes out an even larger chunk of food in the modern world.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:53

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots
Progress: 38%

I gave up dairy 3 days ago. I've lost 7 pounds, and my acne has cleared up! whodathunkit?!?!?!?!?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 09:58
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
It's really worrisome to consider that milk may actually be carrying anything related to gluten. I mean it's bad enough that gluten is in nearly every damn thing, but if we had to expand that to include everything that contains milk or its byproducts, boy that sure wipes out an even larger chunk of food in the modern world.

Well, we paleo folks generally manage to get by without the dairy. Yes, it takes an adjustment and grieving process but it can be done.

Gluten (Gliadin) passes through human milk but humans digest things much differently than cattle do. We don't have 4 stomachs.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I do.

Sorry. Black humor for the morbidly obese . . .
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:43
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! Well, 'tis good you can laugh about it!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 11:27

Plan: nursing lc paleo
Stats: 175/147/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
So what about just butter? I've seen that some people have troubles with other forms of dairy like milk and cheese, but what about just butter?

I used to take some whey protein powder (low-carb), but it still had some lactose in it... I would always get terrible sinus trouble with it. But with just butter I don't get any sinus problems or phlegm or congestion of any kind.

I do struggle with irritable bowel syndrome, but am hesitant to blame the butter (only dairy product) in my daily diet because for a few years time I was on low-fat Paleo (high fruit, lean meats, etc.) and I still had bad bloating and abdominal distension with just about anything I ate (and for a while there was no dairy involved).

It's hard for me to keep the fat up without dairy butter, and I gravitate towards very high fat, moderate protein. I think its more so just the fat itself rather than it being dairy butter that stimulates my IBS.

Is there still opiates and all that good stuff that dairy-avoiders avoid dairy for in butter? I might consider eliminating it for a week to see how things go, but know that that would be a bit of a struggle b/c I've relied on it as a dense fat source for over a year now on VLC.

Cheese TOTALLY constipates me, so I avoid it like the plague. And I don't touch cream or milk because I suspect the lactose would give me problems as well. So with these problems with the less popular forms of dairy, would it be safe to assume that butter also is a potential villain for me?

Thanks,

Sounds like you have a problem with casein(milk protein)...there is a lot in cheese and very little in butter. Butter is the only dairy that I can eat....I use a lot of coconut oil/milk for my fats. You could always experiment and see if butter is an issue for you.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 11:29

Plan: nursing lc paleo
Stats: 175/147/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleogal
I gave up dairy 3 days ago. I've lost 7 pounds, and my acne has cleared up! whodathunkit?!?!?!?!?

Wow! You definately had a dairy intolerace!!! I lost like that when I dropped grains.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 11:39
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Weird--yogurt seems to help my weight loss. I've been eating it for the past week and broke through a stall. It's fascinating how every body reacts differently.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 14:00

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Its lies lies all damn lies...... nothing's better than Cheeeeessee and cream
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 14:26

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

LOL I dunno... I'm pretty sure being able to breathe is better than cream and cheese

Coconut milk, coconut oil and ghee are my new loves. Down with the dairy!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 15:22

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyway...
... ghee are my new loves. Down with the dairy!

Well ghee is dairy, but I like it too.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 15:24

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
Well ghee is dairy, but I like it too.

Well I mean it is, but it isn't. It has all the dairy solids removed, so wouldn't it be considered non-dairy at that point? Sort of like non-dairy creamer?
  #60   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 15:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleogal

I hope this is me (sort of.. would be great to finally have a clear face - weight drop would be nice but not likely which is cool with me) I was complimented on my clean eating habits and a few people mentioned dairy since my skin never cleared up, confirmed it in health section and here I am to learn from the Paleo forum that everything will be A OK!