Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 02:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

One hypothesis that I heard recently (have no idea whether there is any merit to it) is that people who drink pasturized and homogenized milk in childhood - basically, people from western countries - tend to have more problems with milk when they grow older than those who consume raw mostly dairy products as children.

I drank raw milk as a child. I don't notice any adverse effect of dairy on myself, such as people on this board mention - depression, sinus congestion, digestion problems. However, I am very leary of the fact that dairy can act as an opiate. I don't want any opiates in my system. I want my body to produce natural opiates due to good health, happy emotions, and exercising. So I'm sitting on the fence cheese-wise. I still eat it, but I'm preparing myself mentally to give it up if I notice that my health would be better without it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 02:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
raw donkey milk does absolutely amazing things to my body and mind... by far the most potent food i have ever consumed... i drink about a quart of donkey milk a day now.

http://www.nutraingredients.com/new...y-immune-system

Wow. Interesting. I'll look for it.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 09:11

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, gluten is passed to babies in their mother's milk. There's a pubmed article about that.

Did the Pubmed article say anything about people getting gluten via the cow's diet?
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 12:56
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Or gluten via dairy from grain-fed cows?
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 13:00

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Maybe dairy is like soy....

Fermented is ok, unfermented...not so much.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 20:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I know that I personally don't react well to dairy. I get congested, it affects my mood (makes me angry and short tempered) and leads to my fibromyalgia flaring up. So I avoid it.

I don't seem to have a problem with butter, though, so I still include it in my diet in small quantities.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 06:14

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

I was watching a special called "The Reindeer People" on National Geographic; it's an interesting documentary about small group of Siberian natives. They pretty much live on Reindeer milk - "until November when the Reindeer stop giving milk", then they turn to hunting. It's not an argument for Paleo dairy, but it was interesting how these primitive people basically integrate with the herd, almost like a symbiotic parasite. They tend to the Reindeer, keep them safe from wolves, pull thorns from them, etc. and drink their milk. It seems that it would have been very similar to how we first began using sheep, goats, horses, cows and camels for their milk. The other interesting thing, to me at least, is that Reindeer milk is 22% milkfat! (at least according to this site http://www.foodreference.com/html/fmilk.html ).
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
basically integrate with the herd, almost like a symbiotic parasite.

very very well put frankly
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 08:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Did the Pubmed article say anything about people getting gluten via the cow's diet?

Nope. People worry about this, of course, but I've never found anything. Not sure any studies have been done. I can't imagine how gluten would get into muscle tissue though, since the body has to break down complex proteins like gliadin into amino acids and use it like that to build muscle.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 10:02

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Nope. People worry about this, of course, but I've never found anything. Not sure any studies have been done. I can't imagine how gluten would get into muscle tissue though, since the body has to break down complex proteins like gliadin into amino acids and use it like that to build muscle.

I actually meant in milk, rather than meat. Wayward restated for me more clearly.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 11:12

BF:

I have read something about the nomadic Mongols long time ago. (Maybe on this very forum?) They used to bleed their horses to get about 1 cup of blood. And they would mix it with the mare's milk and drink it. This was supposedly a very healthy drink.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-08, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Wow... I never thought about this! As much as I love cheese, I'm really going to watch to see if there is a correlation between cheese and my gluten symptoms. Kinda sad, though, because I really do love cheeses. But after having a really nice cheese plate last Friday night, then having really achy knees the next day... it makes me wonder.

Thanks for the link to the article.... it makes good sense.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 15:15
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did someone post about how Northern Europeans have evolved to digest milk, or am I imagining that? Anyways, I'm doing yogurt and organic cheese again with no negative results. It soothes my tummy, actually. Trying to stick to goat products because I've read the nutrients are more bioavailable. Liberte makes a wonderful goat milk yogurt with only 6g carbs per 3/4c. They call it goat cheese for some reason. It's great stuff, whatever it is!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 16:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I actually meant in milk, rather than meat. Wayward restated for me more clearly.

Well, it *has* been found that humans pass it through their milk so I wouldn't be surprised at all if cow/goat milk is also found to contain gluten or peptides of gluten (gliadin).

Thanks for reminding me of that, I need to bash myself on the head a few times because I am having a hard time staying away from the dairy stuff.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 17:16
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

So am I - I'm good for awhile, then boom, I want some cheese. I'd really like to know if it does pass into the milk - googled it, but no hits.