Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 11:17

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

thanks so much for that site. i've been hoping for a translation of some sort.

tell me your experience w milk, legumes, crisp bread. have you been able to consume any of these foods?
i use 1/2 & 1/2 in my latte/coffee so some milk is okay. cultured is another story since i can consume lots!!
branny stuff give me heartburn so even though i'd like to have an occasional bran-a-crisp (or similar), i must be very careful.
peanut butter is my only legume and that's not too frequently. the others give me heartburn.

i also test my BG.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-09, 03:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
tell me your experience w milk,
Like you the only milk I consume is in the form of cheese or home made yoghurt. I have some cream and butter but I as my main beverage is green tea I don't add milk to that. If I have a coffee I add MCT or Coconut oil or maybe cream if I don't drink it black. So really I don't drink milk at all.

Quote:
legumes,
I went off them completely when I was seriously trying to lose weight. Since I achieved my target I've had a few peas, beans and lentils but I doubt I have more than one portion a week. So I only eat a small amount. Be a shame not to eat chilli con carne without any beans.

Quote:
crisp bread.
I've never really liked crispbreads so I've not bothered with them. If I was bothered I'd seek out some low carb ones but as I really don't mind eating cheese with celery I prefer that to having it on cardboard.

Quote:
peanut butter is my only legume and that's not too frequently.
Peanuts are very rich in omega 6 and they distort the omega 3<> omega 6 ratio so as I try to keep my omega 3 high I avoid peanut butter. Very easy to load on the calories with peanuts as well.

Quote:
i also test my BG.
I keep thinking I'll get a BG meter, I think it would be interesting to see the effects of particular foods on BG. Trouble is I know I get enthusiastic about new toys/gadgets for a few weeks and then lose interest and forget about them. Now I've got control of my weight problem I don't think I'll bother but if I start gaining weight again I'll have to invest in one.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-09, 14:55

ted, i started making my yogurt w 1/2 & 1/2 and it is wonderful!! it is also thick.
i culture for 24 hr and use a local HFS yogurt for the starter.
this is the best yogurt i've ever eaten.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 03:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
ted, i started making my yogurt w 1/2 & 1/2 and it is wonderful!! it is also thick.
i culture for 24 hr and use a local HFS yogurt for the starter.
this is the best yogurt i've ever eaten.
In the UK we can get milk from Jersey cows thats very creamy that makes the best yoghurt.
Although I most often reuse the last yoghurt as the starter for the next batch I sometime have a fresh start.
For UK readers I'm now using Sainsbury's 10% Greek Probiotic as a starter and it is excellent.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-09, 09:53

do you still need the dry milk w jersey milk for thickness?
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 03:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
do you still need the dry milk w jersey milk for thickness?
No t's not necessary when using the extra creamy Jersey milk. But as I sometimes make yoghurt on automatic pilot (not thinking about what I am doing) so I sometimes forget and add the milk powder as I usually do when using ordinary whole milk.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 12:31

Plan: Low carb.
Stats: 190/183/146 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

This way of eating seems doable, less complicated, please don't say I must exercise, I hate exercise. If I can skip having to exercise that would make it perfect.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 16:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbird
This way of eating seems doable, less complicated, please don't say I must exercise, I hate exercise. If I can skip having to exercise that would make it perfect.
I never exercise, except perhaps to pull corks out of wine bottles.
This paper suggests that if you fidget more you may increase calorie expenditure and that won't have the effect of working up your appetite.
Is enhanced energy utilization the answer to prevention of excessive adiposity?
Redinger RN.

I posted a couple of links on this Thread showing even modest activity getting up more, not sitting still, could help.
It's great if you can find an activity you enjoy but it's certainly not vital or particularly helpful for weight loss.
Dr Jay Wortman has a link on his blog to a weight loss program where the patients were told NOT to exercise UNTIL they had reached their goal. Seems to me the right priorities. When you've lost weight you'll find exercise easier and more enjoyable.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 03:54

BF:

Yay! Thanks Hutchinson, I'll look them all up.
I had 2 large eggs fried in butter for breakfast this morning, I think now that one may have been enough - trial and error..
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 07:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Yay! Thanks Hutchinson, I'll look them all up.
I had 2 large eggs fried in butter for breakfast this morning, I think now that one may have been enough - trial and error..
My breakfast is more like Gary Taubes who says
I do indeed eat three eggs with cheese, bacon and sausage for breakfast every morning,
My breakfast always includes 2 eggs, and a good serving of bacon all fried in coconut oil with some left over veggies from the night before.
I then don't eat again for 5hrs.
I sometimes leave eating first thing in the morning and don't eat breakfast until midday, so only eat twice a day, and leave around 19hrs, between my last and first meal of the day.
But I try not to get into a pattern. I think eating only when hungry is more important than eating regularly.
I think there is a danger in eating too little as that may set up your body to conserve it's calorie reserves rather than releasing fat from fat cells to be used and replaced as required. Metabolic flexibility is what we should be striving for.
Our brains need to know there are always ketones available when glucose is restricted.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 08:09

BF:

My goodness that man can eat!!

What do you think of M&S organic, unsweetened Greek style probiotic yoghurt?

per 100 gram.

Protein 4.8
Carbs 6.8
Fat 10.1
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 08:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
My goodness that man can eat!!

What do you think of M&S organic, unsweetened Greek style probiotic yoghurt?

per 100 gram.

Protein 4.8
Carbs 6.8
Fat 10.1
I've not tried it. I always look for the more than 10% fat ones. Lidl's is OK and it's a bigger pot. Morrison's also do a 10% Greek and their's are often on a reduced price for 2.
We tend to make our own home made yoghurt from a Greek Probiotic yoghurt as a starter so we tend only to buy new yoghurt when our own starter culture is getting less than perfect or we're away from home.
We have our own free range hens so plenty of eggs are eaten here. Good for raising HDL (good cholesterol) and they are anti inflammatory. They really are good for the brain and ideal to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's so the more you can eat the better.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 03:53

BF:

Oh dear, I lost the plot, ate a lot of carbs & binged! I now have an awful lot of M&S 'Fuller Longer' ready meals in my freezer. I can't afford to waste them.
Back to the drawing board.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 10:32

BF:

I see you drink green tea Hutchinson, I just can't abide it. Is taking a GT tablet a day instead, OK?

Last edited by Oldbird : Fri, Sep-02-11 at 02:59.