Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 11:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dr. Davis recommends getting 1000 mg of combined EPA + DHA daily (he might have raised it) to lower triglycerides. So most pills have around 200mg of each or there abouts so you'd have to take 4 pills in order to get at least that 1000 mg of EPA+DHA.

You have to take that much because that's how much it takes to lower the triglycerides. Just take them all at once, you don't need to space it out over the day. Will taking less kill you? I guess it depends on how bad your triglycerides are and what they're doing to your arteries.

I can easily swallow all of them. I'm really talented when it comes to swallowing pills. I can take a handful of horse sized pills and swallow them without any issue whatsoever. I credit my Mom with that talent, she's had us taking supplements since we were kids.

Are you on a low carb diet? That should do wonders for your triglycerides.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 12:22

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 175/170/170 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress:

No, not yet on a low carb diet. I just found this site and doc has not even really discussed diet that much although I know that's a very important factor in getting the trigs lowered.
My diet is probably worse than anyone you know.
Coca-cola throughout the day...mixed with (packaged) cappaccino or coffee and a bite or two of a fast break candy bar... (its like my body craves these things and nothing else) until late evening....when I have my main meal...which is usually fairly well balanced.
I could probably lower the numbers significantly just by changing my diet but when I eat anything of any significance throughout the day...I get really tired and sleepy. Therefore, I eat at night before going to bed. Horrible I know...but it's just the rut that I've fallen into. I'm just not hungry anymore until late in the evening.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 12:29
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

If you don't want to take so many capsules - you might want to shop around for a fish oil product that has higher amounts of EPA/DHA than the brand you have that's the 'size of Texas'

Reading the labels on the back will help you decide.

I take the Carlson's liquid lemon flavoured fish oil - but I don't have high triglycerides, so I take 1-2 teaspoons of this per day, when I remember. I like it - it doesn't taste like 'fish' (more like lemony oil), doesn't give me the 'fish oil capsule' burps that can sometimes happen with regular softgels, and it's on the list of brands that don't contain any mercury. (if I remember correctly). They have capsules and liquid.

I think that Dr. Davis' Heart Scan blog that Nancy mentioned to you might have some good information as to which brands are good and how much to take.

I keep hearing that Costco's "Kirkland" brand is a good one too.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 12:35

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Citrus. I'll do a bit more searching and then decide.
BTW, your tag line is amazing.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 12:40

BF:
Progress:

I was reading on another site that the Loraza (or omega 3) made someone's ---errr---ummm----'bowel movements' smell unbearably disgusting. (lol) Any comments on that one?
Oh..and also that there was some sort of weird funky smell coming from the person themselves! Fishy Body odor perhaps. ?
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 12:50
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Seriously - as far as I can tell, there isn't any difference between Lovaza and a good higher-quality fish oil product except:

1. - proof that it works, but if it's similar to other fish oil - then they would 'work' too

2. - it'll be covered by insurance if your doctor prescribes it

3. - it's higher potency per capsule than lots of other brands, so maybe a few less pills (softgels I mean) to be taken.

I haven't noticed any of those side effects that you're describing. Some people say they get 'fishy burps' sometimes with the sofgels, and I've heard that the liquid kind doesn't do this as much - but who knows. I'm not a fan of taking a bunch of pills, which is why I got the liquid stuff.

And whether it's Lovaza or a store-bought brand, taking fish oil *isn't* going to hurt you. It'll improve your mood, help your cholesterol profile, lower your triglycerides, possibly help with your metabolism. All good stuff.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 14:25
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylon
No, not yet on a low carb diet. I just found this site and doc has not even really discussed diet that much although I know that's a very important factor in getting the trigs lowered.
My diet is probably worse than anyone you know.
Coca-cola throughout the day...mixed with (packaged) cappaccino or coffee and a bite or two of a fast break candy bar... (its like my body craves these things and nothing else) until late evening....when I have my main meal...which is usually fairly well balanced.
I could probably lower the numbers significantly just by changing my diet but when I eat anything of any significance throughout the day...I get really tired and sleepy. Therefore, I eat at night before going to bed. Horrible I know...but it's just the rut that I've fallen into. I'm just not hungry anymore until late in the evening.
Ok, this might sound less gentle than you wish. I'm sorry but you probably need to hear this...

I think the fish oil is going to be worthless for you. The reason you have these high triglycerides is because of all the sugar, especially fructose, you're eating. I don't think that fish oil can counteract all that. Dr. Davis uses it in people that have high triglycerides due to a genetic difference, not because they're over-dosing on sugars. You're probably pre-diabetic too, that usually goes along with diet related high triglycerides.

Get off the sugars and you won't need the fish oil (not that it's going to really help all that much with your diet the way it is).

Also, you'd be better off not eating ANYTHING during the day than eating that stuff. A lot of people here eat only 1-2 meals a day. If you're not hungry, why are you eating?

Seriously, get a bag of nuts or some jerky. Not candy bars and cokes!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 15:22

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
And whether it's Lovaza or a store-bought brand, taking fish oil *isn't* going to hurt you. It'll improve your mood, help your cholesterol profile, lower your triglycerides, possibly help with your metabolism. All good stuff.

Thanks Citrus. That's what I was hoping to hear. That it's "ok" to take this stuff.

Oh and Nancy...most days I do NOT eat...but when I do...it's a bite or 2 of the chocolate and peanut butter bar. I'm aware of not needing it...but that doesn't help the cravings. I've heard that carbonated drinks (Cokes etc) actually makes you crave even more sugar!
Last year I got down to drinking only 1 glass of soda in the a/m ...for the caffeine boost. The rest of the day I drank lemon water but I got SO burned out on that. I eventually, slowly, went back to all day soda and coffees. ..and I DO mean all day. I have a medical condition (Sjogrens syndrome- a form of connective tissue disorder) which causes *severe dry mouth and pretty much demands that I drink something almost constantly. So I always have several cups and glasses of something wet nearby.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 15:27

BF:
Progress:

>>>> Dr. Davis uses it in people that have high triglycerides due to a genetic difference
=================
Genetic differences? My dr said that most high triglyceride/cholesterol problems stems mainly from such things as less-than-ideal eating habits and a lack of sufficient exercise. Hmmm...I guess we learn something new everyday. So some ppl are genetically inclined to higher triglycerides etc? ...like with obesity or similar?

Last edited by waylon : Thu, Feb-26-09 at 15:35.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 16:35
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
>>>> Dr. Davis uses it in people that have high triglycerides due to a genetic difference
=================
Genetic differences? My dr said that most high triglyceride/cholesterol problems stems mainly from such things as less-than-ideal eating habits and a lack of sufficient exercise. Hmmm...I guess we learn something new everyday. So some ppl are genetically inclined to higher triglycerides etc? ...like with obesity or similar?
Yes, and small pattern LDL. Dr. Davis's blog is excellent. You might want to start reading it since you seem to have some issues.

How about drinking diet coke, iced tea, coffee with splenda? There's a lot of sugar free options out there. You don't have to drink sugar coke. Yeah, it might take awhile to adjust but getting diabetes and fatty liver disease is really not a fun way to spend one's life.

I switched to diet coke back when I was a teenager and it took maybe a week or two to get used to the difference in the taste.

No fish oil does not make you stink or your poop smell bad.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 21:27

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
I've heard that carbonated drinks (Cokes etc) actually makes you crave even more sugar!
Last year I got down to drinking only 1 glass of soda in the a/m ...for the caffeine boost. The rest of the day I drank lemon water but I got SO burned out on that. I eventually, slowly, went back to all day soda and coffees..

Notice that no one ever gets "burned out" on candy and coke? Because sugar causes sugar cravings and as long as you feed the addiction it never goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
or your poop smell bad.

Dude, if it's a problem, get a can of Glade or something. Of all the excuses
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 12:40

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Dude, if it's a problem, get a can of Glade or something. Of all the excuses

It wasn't an excuse and I wasn't looking for any "excuses". It was merely a question. I was just curious.
It seems that it was a huge issue for the person who originally posted on that subject. ...saying that it was much more than just your average "bad smell". So...I thought I'd ask if everyone/anyone else had had that problem or if it was just specific to that one poster.
Thanks for your input though.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 12:49

BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=AlienBug] Notice that no one ever gets "burned out" on candy and coke? Because sugar causes sugar cravings and as long as you feed the addiction it never goes away.[QUOTE]

Actually, I *do get burned out on cokes and candy. That's why I drank the lemon water for several years. ...and lemon doesn't go very well with candy. At least not for me...so I replaced the candy with a few triscuit crackers during that time.
That sounds pretty good at the moment. I'll probably try that combo again soon...for another year or so. This sugar doesn't taste near as good as it used to. It's mainly consumed for the caffeine anyway...not necessarily for the sugar.

Last edited by waylon : Sat, Feb-28-09 at 16:10.