Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 05:16

Plan: LCHF/NK
Stats: 196/165.7/145 Female 5' 9"
BF:too much!
Progress: 59%

Rose, I did read that some doctors prescribe it for weight loss, but I'm not going to pursue it now. My weight is going down... just slower than I'd like. I also like the idea of it making my cells more sensitive to insulin and if course helping with the BG level down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1942
As for a low calorie diet, LC pretty much falls into that catagory because there aren't any calorie laden desserts and such. Think of all the bread that we give up, for one thing. However, we do eat some rich and creamy stuff (like mmmmm real whipping cream and real cheese and real meat with fat!). But those are not necessarily the calories that stick with you, they do burn for energy now that we aren't giving our bodies much of any glucose to burn. Probably not a problem to have a bigger steak than 4 oz, and add some more fresh cooked veggies for the bulk that fills you up. Portions are not so much a problem with this type of diet as long as you don't overstuff yourself and run into problems that way. Personally I can't take in a lot of food at one sitting, it makes me feel rotten, but I suppose everyone has their own 'right' capacity.
Weight Watchers I would consider low calorie. I lost 37 lb. 2 years ago on that... reached my goal weight, made Lifetime and then gained it all back! I think my average calories with their point system was between 1200-1400. With LC I'd say I average around 1800. I am a true meat lover so for the most part I don't miss bread, pasta, potatoes... I DO miss chips, Fritos, pizza, and some sweets etc! I frequent Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb message board. They have a forum called Good Calories, Bad Calories. It's like a study group for Gary Taubes book of the same name. Excellent book! Have you read it? Changed my way of thinking, especially about saturated fat... Now I can have my meat and eat it too. I am trying to cut my protein portions down a bit and add more fat, but I have trouble figuring how to do that without the meat... I guess add more butter, oil, etc.?

Well, I need to get ready for work. TGIF!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 06:37

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

LC:
Cheese,meat,eggs...Not exactly low cal.
Replacing carbs with fat-not exactly low cal.
It seems to work fine for weight loss and BG control.
Atkins said to not sweat the calories-I was always unsure
about that one.
Eddie
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 08:38
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I don't miss bread, pasta, potatoes... I DO miss chips, Fritos, pizza, and some sweets etc!

Marcia, I'm exactly the same way! I've found fine replacements though.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?

They sell a bagged chip made from flaxseed, called
Spicey Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla chips - they are similar to Doritos and absolutely delicious. 7 large chips are 11 net carbs. I will count 7 chips out on a plate, to make sure I don't overdo it with mindless eating from the bag.

2 nights ago I tried the famousDeep Dish Pizza Quiche from the recipe Main Meals recipe folder, and it was heavenly! It was really pizza, nothing about it said "faux".

For my chocolate fix, I order Russell Stover Net Carb chocolate candies (in the red packaging, not the sugar-free green packaging marketed to diabetics - they're still high carb.)
Some folks have issues with the sugar alcohols in these, but they don't bother me. I order from http://www.lowcarbchocolates.com/rs.html , and sometimes I get myself that box of assorted chocolates you see there.... that's so good, you'd never know it wasn't regular chocolates.

If sugar alcohols bother you, try Chocoperfection Bars - the ones Jimmy Moore endorses (and has his own flavor). They use erythritol as the sweetener, and are very good, but very expensive.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 09:24

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Couple of slices of thin crust pizza doesn't spike my
glucose badly.Everyone is different.What works well for me
may not work well for thee.What works well for thee may not
work well for me.Damned shame.
And so it goes...
Eddie
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 10:47
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Triplemom and Muffles, sounds like you need to have a printout of Lottadata's excellent article "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes" handy when you tell your mothers.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

Thanks, Kitty, what a great web site!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 11:39
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflwr1
I DO miss chips, Fritos, pizza, and some sweets etc!

That's me, too! Green beans sprinkled with olive oil and salt and roasted in the oven are a very good replacement for French fries. Turnip fries are good, too. I've tried making chips with vegetables other than potatoes, but they've never crunched up well.

I use the oopsie revolution roll recipe as a pizza crust. One whole recipe (that would make 6 rolls) is the right amount for a round pizza pan. Once you add low carb toppings, it tastes and looks just like a regular pizza, although the oopsie crust is less firm than most flour crusts.

Like MizKitty, I like the Russell Stovers low carb chocolates. The coconut oil bark candy recipe is also very flexible. I especially like adding some peanut butter. Yesterday, I made chocolate covered strawberries by dipping fresh strawberries in melted coconut oil bark recipe. I made 6 chocolate covered strawberries for about 5 g net carbs total. They were excellent and seemed very decadent.

Last edited by CarolynC : Fri, Apr-04-08 at 14:49.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 11:48
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Carolyn, those are great ideas....I've been making my own Pecan delights (turtles) with the CO! I put a little pile of chopped pecans in the bottom of a mini muffin pan, add a small dollop of walden Farms caramel sauce, then fill the cup with the melted CO chocolate. Then freeze till they pop right out. Very yummy.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 11:51

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Marcia,

Technically you have "impaired glucose tolerance."

Recently while working on my new book, I spent a lot of time reviewing the research on my web site, and what I come up with is that research shows that many people remain in that impaired state all their lives and do NOT progress to full-fledged diabetes.

This is particularly true of people who have high blood sugars due to insulin resistance but who have the ability to grow new beta cells.

However, we also know that blood sugars in the "impaired" range are high enough to cause some complications, the most worrisome of which is heart disease.

So whatever the technical diagnosis, you do want to bring those blood sugars down after meals and avoid exposing your body to high blood sugars.

Since this is a low carb discussion board, I suspect you already know HOW to do that. <G>
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
...Green beans sprinkled with olive oil and salt and roasted in the oven are a very good replacement for French fries. Turnip fries are good, too.

That sounds like fun or something like "neccesity is the mother of invention".

I read in some lo-carb forum that fried pork skins were good 0 carb substitutes for chips... Well, I never imagined ever trying them but they are pretty good once I got over the psychological game. Everytime I mention to my wife that she should try them (she isn't diabetic) she gives me a look of disgust... Oh well.

/smile
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 15:01

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08
Progress: 100%

Jenny, you said: "Technically you have "impaired glucose tolerance."

Recently while working on my new book, I spent a lot of time reviewing the research on my web site, and what I come up with is that research shows that many people remain in that impaired state all their lives and do NOT progress to full-fledged diabetes. "

Can you explain that a little bit? Like, how is that determined? What criteria is used to decide whether a person will progress to full fledged diabetes? TIA

(edited to add: Reason I ask is because Marcia's average BG's look a lot like mine but I was told I was 'officially' diabetic.)
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 15:33

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

res coffee

coffee and caffein have some affect on some people, but for most of us it has far less affect than the other components of our diet and medications

cut to the chase (for me, ymmv) I enjoy my 1 1/2 pots of coffee a day along with my red wine (about a glass more than recommended maximum healthy amount). And in exchange I am very observant of my diet and exercise otherwise.

ps: my big 'slop' in my carb control is that I use a lot of tomatoe and onions in my cooking. Almost all of us who successfully very low carb figure out where the 'slack' in our diet gives of the most bang for the bucks.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Triplemom and Muffles, sounds like you need to have a printout of Lottadata's excellent article "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes" handy when you tell your mothers.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

Thank you for that. It is an excellent article. I think I'll print it out for my family to read.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 18:58

Plan: LCHF/NK
Stats: 196/165.7/145 Female 5' 9"
BF:too much!
Progress: 59%

Thanks all for for the wonderful replies!

Karen, ahhh, so you're a salty person too! Thanks for all the great ideas. I think there's a Trader Joe's about an hour and a half away, but I better stay away from those chip. Might be a major trigger food for me. We have a local brand of potato chip... Mrs. Fisher's that are to die for... literally, greasy, salty, fabulous! No more for me! I may have to give that pizza a try. Sounds fabulous!!! My kind of food! I always liked mine, thin crust with sausage, green olives and red onions. I might have to give that a try! Sugar alcohols and all that stuff do a number on me. Last month I was sick and I tried to just sugar-free cold/cough stuff. Made me so sick... can't even stand the thought of it. *sigh* I think I'm still at a point that if I start to indulge in yummy substitutes it might just put me over the edge. I do fine when I abstain, but when I start doing little cheats I have problems. Not that I ever won't indulge, because I probably will at some time.

Carolyn You have some great ideas too! Thanks! I've heard of those Oopsie Rolls... I will have to give them a try sometime. Those strawberries sound divine. Do they raise you BG very much? I'm still experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. I gave my remaining grapefruits to a friend of mine. sniff, sniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Marcia,

Technically you have "impaired glucose tolerance."

Recently while working on my new book, I spent a lot of time reviewing the research on my web site, and what I come up with is that research shows that many people remain in that impaired state all their lives and do NOT progress to full-fledged diabetes.

This is particularly true of people who have high blood sugars due to insulin resistance but who have the ability to grow new beta cells.

However, we also know that blood sugars in the "impaired" range are high enough to cause some complications, the most worrisome of which is heart disease.

So whatever the technical diagnosis, you do want to bring those blood sugars down after meals and avoid exposing your body to high blood sugars.
That is very interesting, Jenny. Can you tell me why you feel that way? Jenny, I'd like to thank you so much for your site, if it wasn't for that I'd still be clueless!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 19:18
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Carolyn, those are great ideas....I've been making my own Pecan delights (turtles) with the CO! I put a little pile of chopped pecans in the bottom of a mini muffin pan, add a small dollop of walden Farms caramel sauce, then fill the cup with the melted CO chocolate. Then freeze till they pop right out. Very yummy.

Thanks for the idea, Karen. That does sound yummy. I've added pecans to my coconut oil candies, but I've never included caramel. I'll give it a try. My parents' backyard has many pecan trees and I grew up loving pecans.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 19:23
Getting Healthy!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflwr1
Carolyn You have some great ideas too! Thanks! I've heard of those Oopsie Rolls... I will have to give them a try sometime. Those strawberries sound divine. Do they raise you BG very much?

I didn't notice any unexpected rise in bg from the chocolate covered strawberries. I eat about 12 g carbs for lunch (as Dr. Bernstein recommends) and the strawberries were included in the 12 g. Strawberries are a low carb fruit (and practically the only fruit that I eat except for cantaloupe, which I love). 6 medium strawberries plus one entire recipe of the coconut oil bark (with 2 T of the oil) has about 5 g carbs and 265 calories. But, I make the bark with sweetzfree, which is liquid splenda and has 0 g carbs.