Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 13:59
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Oopsie Challenge!

I am hereby issuing an Oopsie Challenge! In honour of Cleo and her delicious error, I challenge all readers (yep, all three) and LCers - hell, even you hardcore carnivores! It's just eggs and cheese, after all - to put on your chef's hats (or cowboy hats, tinfoil hats, etc) and send forth your mad creations. They can range anywhere from the simple to the sublime, the pedestrian to the provocative, Chef Boyardee to Iron Chef Mario Batali.

I've issued this challenge here and on my blog, and I would like to post recipes, etc that come out of this. Why? Because my blog deals with more than low carb eating - it's also about gluten-free eating, and I think it's a real shame that celiacs aren't referred to low carb sites like ours for recipes. Celiac forums are packed with carby substitutes for bread, pasta etc, and we all know that just isn't healthy. There are better alternatives. Most of them come from low carbers.

Plus...challenges are fun! Sharing recipes is fun!

All recipes, if you agree to let me post them on my bog, will be credited to the creator and links will be posted to your blog, website, whathaveyou. Pics would be great too, of possible. Mods, if this is the wrong forum for this challenge, please move it as you see fit And Cleo, thanks for making such a delicious and versatile error!

Get cooking!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 14:09
Dazilous

BF:
Default My Favorite Pizza

I took the basic recipe and added about 3T of ground flax seeds, 1/4t xanthan gum, onion and garlic powder, oregano and goat parmesan to the yolk mixture before folding.

I spread the batter on a baking sheet and baked at 325 for 30 minutes. After it cooled, I stored it in an open ziploc in the fridge overnight.

I use half the crust, cut in half again, for two pizza squares. Brushed each woth some olive il and dusted with garlic powder, sea salt and oregano - crisped it under the broiler at first, but found it crisped up better on the bake setting (I have a countertop convection oven) for maybe 5 minutes. Made the whole place smell like garlic bread.

Topped crust with sauce, green olives and feta. Back in the oven just to heat through.

The crust held up well - a bit floppy, but I could hold each piece in my hand and eat it. Verrrrrry tasty! Back in my gluten/HC/veg days, this was one of my standby meals, but I'd use a whole wheat pita. This version was just as good, with no bloating or ass fat involved!

Pic
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 14:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
All recipes, if you agree to let me post them on my bog

Wow! You have your own bog! Is it a peat bog? Do little woodland creatures come to read the things you post on your bog? That is so thoughtful, people seldom include small woodland creatures in anything these days.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 16:59

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Is there a deadline? A prize? Are there categories, say, for desserts, bread substitutes, main courses, and fantasy recipes? The last category would be sort of the Iron Chef creations made with lobster, caviar, saffron, etc?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 17:28
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I made sub sandwiches for dinner on oopsies that I baked in mini loaf pans. I'm happy with the way they turned out!

#6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 17:32
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Don’t know if this counts……..
For as long as I’ve been low-carbing I’ve been trying to make a bendy wrap that doesn’t require any wheat or soy ingredients. I’ve never had any luck and had given up until now. Oopsies were my inspiration, but I wanted something that was a bit more of a workhorse, so I used the ‘Almond Pecan Waffles’ recipe from the Low Carb Cookworx site (episode 15) http://www.lowcarbcookworx.com/episodes/ as my base recipe but left out the pecans, added some different gums (similar to Thicken/Thin), tweaked it a little in the preparation and used a sandwich toaster/press as the method of cooking.

It’s basically a cream cheese and egg pancake (an Oopsie) with some cream, almond meal, gum and protein powder added.

I’m thrilled with the result and this was only my first attempt……….

This is how I made them. I won’t post the recipe because I’ve converted everything to grams etc., just use the link above.

Sift dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, soften cream cheese for a few seconds in the microwave on a very low setting. Using a whisk, gradually mix the whipping cream into the softened cream cheese. Next add the lightly beaten egg a little at a time, beating after each addition. Mixture should be smooth. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Pour some of the batter onto sandwich toaster; gently close lid and cook for about 1 minute. If making pikelets, leave the lid up and turn after 2 minutes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 19:15
Dazilous

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow! You have your own bog! Is it a peat bog? Do little woodland creatures come to read the things you post on your bog? That is so thoughtful, people seldom include small woodland creatures in anything these days.

Yes, the truth is finally out - I have a bog. Not a peat bog though. If you've ever seen Labyrinth, it's more like the Bog of Eternal Stench but include Rodents of Unusual Size, normally only found in The Princess Bride film. They sure are tasty!

Bike2work - Prizes? Heck no! Just the glory of appearing on my "bog". Isn't that enough? Okay, I'll throw in some spit-rosted RoUS's if you use the secret ingredient in a really special way. Plating counts.

Cleo - awesome idea! How long did you bake them?

Zedgirl - those look amazing, and they totally count. What's a pikelet? You know...a little thinner and they might make a good crepe. They'd work as-is though for crepey fillings.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 19:28
Say cheese!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
What's a pikelet?

In Australia - a small thickish pancake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
You know...a little thinner and they might make a good crepe. They'd work as-is though for crepey fillings.

To make them thinner, all you'd have to do is press down harder on the sandwich toaster. I'll give it a go next time I make them and see what happens......
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 19:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oopsie French Dip
Pile on the thin-sliced roast beef between two oopsies, smear butter on both sides & grill. Dip in au jus & enjoy!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 20:41
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Low-Carb Meatball Subs

Bread for Subs

Using the standard oopsie roll batter recipe, I used two, small, nonstick bread loaf pans, and then baked the batter at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. I use two separate 'mini' loaves for one sandwich. (To make the loaves more savory, I omitted Splenda and used dill and dry mustard).

Meatballs

1 pound hamburger
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 oopsie roll grated into crumbs (1/6 of a recipe)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all ingredients. Form into 12-18 balls and bake in for 20-25 minutes (or until done) (You can also fry them on the stove if you prefer).

These can be used for spaghetti squash or pizza as well.

Sauce Mixture

½ cup green pepper, chopped
½ cup purple onion, chopped
2 mushrooms, chopped
10 black olives, sliced
½ cup pizza sauce + ¼ cup water

Change oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Mix these ingredients together in an oven-safe dish. Add meatballs. Bake (uncovered) for 30 minutes.

Assembly:

Change oven temperature to 400 degrees.

Take oopsie rolls and spread with a light butter coating. Top one side with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Place roll on a plate.

Add cooked meatball mixture to the roll. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Makes 6- 6” sandwiches.

Nutritional information coming soon... sorry about the pictures. I wanted to eat my sammich!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Zedgirl, by "sandwich toaster" (with a lid) did you mean a panini grill? I've wondered if the lid of mine would be too heavy, ya know? Any chance you have a pic of your gizmo? I've got a Cuisinart Griddler (a combo contact grill/griddle/sandwich press), which can be seen here:

http://cuisinart.com/catalog/produc...=397&cat_id=341

Hmmmmmmm.

#12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 00:32
Say cheese!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Zedgirl, by "sandwich toaster" (with a lid) did you mean a panini grill? I've wondered if the lid of mine would be too heavy, ya know? Any chance you have a pic of your gizmo? I've got a Cuisinart Griddler (a combo contact grill/griddle/sandwich press), which can be seen here:

http://cuisinart.com/catalog/produc...=397&cat_id=341

Hmmmmmmm.

This is what I'm using:
http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=39

The lid is quite heavy so I lower it slowly before letting go. The grill plates are flat not ribbed and are non-stick.

I had a toasted wrap for lunch today (well two actually) filled with sliced up fritatta made with bacon, egg, tomato and cheese, plus a few shakes of hot sauce and then I sprayed the folded wrap with a little olive oil before toasting it. It was delicious.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 05:36

Plan: Atkins/lc
Stats: 152/150/130 Female 65
BF:Bad winters
Progress: 9%

I headed to the store for the sub makings! What a cool way to use the Oopsies!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:08
Dazilous

BF:

We've had a sandwich maker lying around for ages - it was a gift. Never used it bc, well, I don't eat bread. Now I have a use for it!

Cleo, thanks for posting the recipe - I linked to your blog post on mine. God it looks good. All I've been able to think about since is meatball subs!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:13

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Sis, Nancy, did anyone ever figure out a dairy free way to do this?