Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 18:12

Plan: SP
Stats: 237/233/150 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think I'll try a balanced oatmeal breakfast. I ate it almost every day before and would love to get it back in the rotation.

I had some nasty headaches yesterday, but today I feel really good. I also picked up The Program from the library. I didn't realize how different the two books are. It seems like there is more awareness about saturated fats and food allergies. It seems more in line with current views on nutrition. I'm going to try the gluten-free option. I'm hoping it's not an issue for me. I was wondering why womentowomen sent the original.

Also, I was wondering about working out. I've always worked out almost every day. I'm trying to wrap my brain around not doing that. She says the body needs it to heal, but that seems so counterintuitive. Maybe I need to read it again. How has your weekend been going?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 19:42

Plan: Schwarzbein "The Program"
Stats: 168/168/120 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just stopping in to say "hey" and welcome to colorgirl.
It's been a crazy weekend so I just now got to come read the posts.
I went to Whole Foods last night and stocked up on gluten-free items like rice tortillas, corn thins and rice snaps, etc.
It's over an hour from here so I can't get there very easily. I might check out Trader Joes next time. It's about as far as WF, but easier to get to I think.

So, Tiffany, you think just following The Program alone will work ok? I checked out all of the other books, but it is a little overwhelming trying to sort through it all.
It'd be great if I could just focus on one book and I think the consensus is the The Program has all the up-to-date info in it.

Colorgirl ~ I hear you about the exercise. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with that, but I do feel like I need to do "something".
My DH and I had started Bob Green's 12 week program at one point. I think we'll go back to that for now since it starts out really slowly. It's 15 min of cardio (or to tolerance) and then what he calls functional exercises and stretches plus a few basic toning exercises like bicep curls, lunges and squats.
I'd like to get back into T-Tapp though and today someone else was telling me about rebounding. (although I think it's mainly cardio) Plus I love DDR! lol

Do either of you guys know waht Dr. S means by adaptive exercises?

I was worrying about doing everything just right (still working on that actually) and I had to realize that just the simple act of cutting out the junk and improving the quality of the foods I eat is going to make a huge difference in my health. Then I can learn the rest as I go.

So: Focus this week for me is making sure to eat 3 meals comprised of a protein, real carb, non-starchy vegetables and healthy fats. Add in 2 snacks that have at least a protein and healthy carb.
I want to incorporate this WOE into my life without it being a big deal and I want to make it easy to do while working and/or traveling. (basically for whatever situation I find myself in)
I'm also planning to figure out what supplements to buy next payday!
I have a good multi, CLA and GLA already on hand. I may go ahead and splurge for some natural calm, adrenal support and a b-12 complex though. Those are some that I know I'll need and I've ordered them from the T-Tapp store before, so I have confidence in the brands, etc.

I'm so glad you guys are here. It helps so much to have ppl to talk to!
I'm all ears for any insight you guys have on exercise, supplements, this WOE, anything!!!

Man! This sure turned out longer than I planned when I started!!! Sorry guys ~
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-08, 22:53

Plan: SP
Stats: 237/233/150 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey Jenn-

Nice to meet you. Where are you in Indiana? I have family there.

I thought I was going to make it through the day without a headache, but no luck tonight. I had some cottage cheese and blueberries, so we'll see if that helps. I think I do better with 20 carbs per meal than 15. I had headaches all day yesterday before I changed that with The Program. It's crazy to think that a few carbs can make a difference, but I can definitely feel it.

I'm heading to Whole Foods tomorrow, too. Fortunately, mine is close. I just need to make a list because I'm still indoctrinated in old food thinking. The dairy section is an alien land to me.

I started cutting up vegetables so it won't be difficult to make lunch and snacks tomorrow. It's so hard to make these meals when you're overly hungry. Won't it be nice not to have to think about food and planning what you're eating next?!

I think you'll get the hang of it once you get a routine, Jenn. I'm going to read over the book again tonight so it sticks. Maybe notes will help.

Good luck tomorrow.

Mary-Frances
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 09:25

Plan: Schwarzbein "The Program"
Stats: 168/168/120 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I went over the book some more last night too. I took some notes this time too and I think that will help solidify what I'm doing. I think I answered a few of my own questions! lol

I'm following the 25 carb plan for Insulin Sensitive w/ Burned Out Adrenals.

Cutting up veggies ahead of time is such a good idea. I think I'll use today to make up some things ahead of time too. You're so right about trying to prep food while you feel like you're starving! lol And I totally can't wait until we get to the point of not having to think and plan for what's next too!

Know any good ideas for 'grab-n-go' things? I was thinking about making some chicken salad and portioning it up.
Also, maybe those oatmeal pancakes that have cottage cheese in them? I think they'd be totally balanced by themselves, or at least easily balanced out with something simple.

Simple is hte key word here!

I just made a blended salad and I wanted to see what you guys think of it. Hoping I got the right balance in there...

3/4 C cottage cheese (P)
1 C yogurt (C w/ a little toward P)
3/4 C mixed berries (C)
1 C baby spinach (nsV)
1/2 cucumber (nsV)
1T Udo's Choice Oil (F)

It's sooo good. I hope it makes the grade. (you could always add a drop or two of stevia if it wasn't sweet enough for your taste, but I like the taste of the cucumber and stuff so the fruit is enough of a sweetener for me)

LMK what you guys think.

Here are a couple other ideas I'm mulling about:
I really liked these quick snack/meals from other plans I've tried in the past, but I'm not sure how to make them fit with my new WOE yet...

From the Zone - cottage cheese mixed with natural applesauce and fruit.

From Dr. Bob Arnot - Yogurt w/ uncooked oats mixed in.
Black beans and Brown rice.

The fat would be easy enough to add in I think. I'd just use Udo's, but the rest I'll have to work on.
Any ideas?

Oh! I almost forgot your question Mary-Frances ~ I live in Terre Haute. It's about an hour SW of Indianapolis, near IL. Where are your family from?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 16:04

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 140/137/115 Female 60"
BF:Not Sure
Progress: 12%

Hi Guys-

I had an internet issue over the weekend so I couldn't get on. I spent a lot of time at my local Trader Joes and Tom's Farms (which is like a farmers market, plus a whole lot more. It's kind of a local attraction. A little lake, couple of restaurants, furniture store, candy store, etc.) Anyway, I discovered raw honey there. Absolutely wonderful!!! I know we are not supposed to have sweeteners, but a little tiny bit of natural honey can't be all that bad. I can't stand stevia myself- I think it has a weird after taste.

Anyway, for dessert last night I treated myself to some raspberries with a little creme fraiche mixed with a tiny bit of honey. Have you ever had creme fraiche? It's the consistency of sour cream and the taste of whipped cream. My kids and DH were laughing at me because I was actually licking the bowl and I refused to share!

Jenn-
Your salad looks fine to me! I had a wonderful salad on Saturday. Seared ahi tuna on a bed of field greens with carrot, cucumber, and shredded zuchinni in a vinegar dressing. So good.

Yesterday we went to Sam's Club and the kids and DH wanted pizza. I hate their pizza anyway, but I knew we would be out all day and I hadn't planned for my food. It's hard to know what's better- skip a meal that's bad for you or eat anyway because you need to eat. I ate a very small piece of pizza and a nice, healthy snack once we got home. I figured that was the best I could do.

I do like The Program better than any of the other books. It makes it much easier. It's interesting to see bacon disappearing from the latter 2 books. I love bacon, but apparently it's just too hard to find any healthy versions to be included. I treat myself once in a while.

My favorite grab and go snack is a hard boiled egg and some grape tomatoes, and a few bites of avocado. For breakfast I had a preservative free corn tortilla from Trader Joe's (really good!) with sliced boiled egg, chopped tomatoes, avocado, chopped sweet yellow pepper and a bit of mozz cheese.

Mary-Frances- How are the headaches? I had a terrible cold this past week, but I'm coming out of it.

-Tiffany