Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 18:00
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

Cottage cheese isn't induction friendly so stick with Cleo's
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 18:05

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%
Default My favorate Rev Roll Receipe & instructions

(1) Chill a GLASS bowl and your hand mixer beaters in the fridge at least 30 mins

(2) leave you eggs and cream cheese on the counter until room temperature

(3) make sure your cream of tartar is "fresh"

(4) absolutely NO egg yolks in your egg whites

(5) do NOT mix the egg yolks into the whites, GENTLY fold them in w/a spatula

(6) I add the egg yolks/cream cheese mixture to the egg whites a little at a time, I have found it is not always necessary to use the entire mixture

(7) I line my cookie sheet w/wax paper before adding the "rolls". I pile my rolls about 2 spatula full high

(8) Cook the rolls for an 1/2 hour on 300 degrees , then 20 mins on 325 degree (the temp may very from oven to oven mine seems to get very hot)

I tweaked the "cream cheese recipe" as follows

6 large egg whites
3- 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar (beat on high until stiff peaks form- you should be able to turn the bowl upside down with the whites running)

In a separate bowl

2 1/2 egg yolks
3 oz cream cheese

mix in a bowl with a fork until semi-smooth (it's o.k. to have lumps of cream cheese)

gently fold the cream cheese, egg yolk mixture into the egg whites

This should yield 6 rolls
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 18:25
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't have any issues with some egg yolk in my whites. I wonder what the difference is, and my tartar is not new and does all right. I wonder if it could be a climate difference?

Can I also ask why the extra whites and less yolk? I do three and three and it turns out well every time.

I use a tall iced tea spoon in lieu of a spatula, because I feel that a spatula pushes things around and disturbs the whites too much. I want to get into the 'meat' of the white and really very slowly serpentine the spoon through twice.

I am the lazy low carber's cook. The easier the better. I'm all about the easy. I just want to use it to eat stuff.

I applaud your method for it's complexity.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 265/181/165 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire2
(In a separate bowl

2 1/2 egg yolks
3 oz cream cheese

LOL... 2 1/2 egg yolks. Seriously? I wonder what would happed if I just used 2 1/4 yolks? Sorry... sounds absurd, but whatever works I guess. Way too complicated...

Just make one of the simple recipes (Cleo's are slightly better than the originals, imo) and don't put too much thought in it... you'll be glad you tried them!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 09:13

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

Yeah, well I'm kinda anal, so this method works for me. Yes, Chuck serious, a 1/2 a yolk. 1/4 yolk is not enough, you laugh, but i have tried it. A full yolk is too much. I've tried the so-called oopsie roll, I like this recipe much better.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 15:18

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default slight hijack

CLEO:

Sorry I missed your special day, best wishes, thank you so much for posting your hilarious musings and thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 22:53
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

Thanks so much, MNLisa! I appreciate you being so sweet! I LOVE your avatar, BTW! Harlie is one of my favorite characters ever.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 22:54
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

{{{{Sapphire}}}} We all have our own methods!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan's mom
Guys, when I tried rev rolls it was like biting into air. Are they supposed to be THAT light?

Yep. They are made of fluffy beaten egg whites, pretty much, after all.

Cleo's version is a bit sturdier, though.

I actually made blueberry waffles, very light but still worked in the waffle maker, with Cleo's version, the "oopsie", which is essentially a 1 to 1 with the cream cheese and the eggs. They hold together more solidly than the original rev rolls, with almost twice the cream cheese (or cottage or mayo or ...).

#25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 07:35
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

Waffles! I was wondering if those could be made! Was sticking an issue at all? I haven't had waffles in years!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 14:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra
Waffles! I was wondering if those could be made! Was sticking an issue at all? I haven't had waffles in years!

Nope! Just like with any waffle, though, you have to wait until the waffle is pretty much done before trying to open the thing, nonstick or not...It worked out to 4 minutes in mine. I did brush very lightly with oil just in case.

It's just a basic 20.00 waffle maker, makes 2 little square waffles at a time; I put them on a plate in a warm oven til all done. The 4 egg:4 oz batch made 8 or 10 squares, they do flatten somewhat once they're cooked, from the weight of the top of the waffle iron, and they're lighter and more fragile than regular waffles, but the flavour was all there.

I added a 3/4 scoop of vanilla protein powder and 1/4 tsp not/Starch for a bit more body to the basic recipe. Then a bit of liquid sweetener combo, a half cup of dehydrated blueberries and a dash of vanilla.

VERY nice.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 18:59
Great seller! A+++++

BF:

I love you! I loved my waffle maker, but I got rid of it when I went low-carb. Man, was I stupid...
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Now, waffles...that is a great idea. Too bad there isn't a SF maple syrup I've found that I like--they are too thin and watery and bland--all the ones I've tried, anyway. That's always the downer as far as pancakes and waffles go for me on LC! I'm not "fruit topping" person. Maple syrup or nothing for me.

Quote:
Hi,

Ive been reading a lot about Revolution Rolls but the recipies I see are conflicting, some say cream cheese, some cottage cheese, some add sour cream to.

Which is the best, nicest most roll like recipe any experience?

Ruth

Which recipe you prefer is a matter of personal taste and nothing more. There is nothing "superior" or "inferior" or "out of date" about any of the recipes that I've been able to see or taste. They are just what they are...variations that the results are more appealing to some folks--and not to others. The best way to know which you prefer is try them!

My favorite recipe is the original recipe, as found in the 1972 NDR with the substitution of cream cheese, tablespoon for tablespoon, for the cottage cheese. (The only reason I haven't tried the cottage cheese is that I don't eat it, so it's never around.)

I bake them for an hour at 300 and they go straight from the cookie sheet to a ziplock back to soften since they're crumbly when they come out of the oven. An hour or 2 in the zipbag takes care of that.

I have also made them with mayo, which I actually like the flavor better than the CC, but I always forget about the mayo. Plus, I'm always telling myself to eat less mayo, b/c of the soybean oil...and too lazy to make my own.

I tried butter once, and did not like the taste and they kind of "burned" while cooking, for lack of a better word.

I have tried the variation that calls for ounces of cream cheese instead of tablespoons, and didn't find any improvement over my originals in either taste, texture or durability.

You can see some of my rev-roll creations (most of them jump in my mouth before I can the camera out!) in my gallery. In the sweet treats forum, I have 2 recipes using rev rolls, rev roll tiramisu and rev roll lemon cake.

My favorite way to use them that I haven't been able to take pictures of or write down is as the base for cinnamon buns.

Enjoy the rev rolls, which ever variation you try! They are really great for expanding your WOE!

Quote:
Can I also ask why the extra whites and less yolk? I do three and three and it turns out well every time.

As I think about it, I think that people decrease the number of yolks to try to compensate for the ever-present risk of over-folding, resulting in thin runny batter. Maybe it makes them more breadlike? I really don't know. I haven't tried it, b/c I can't think of anything to use the extra yolk for, and I hate wasting food!

I haven't had that problem, however (overfolding, runny batter, eggy texture). But I do beat my egg whites until they are way BEYOND stiff, and I don't fold one stroke more than it takes to combine the 2 together. I think that folding is one of sort of "intimidating" techniques, and until people get then hang of it, they tend to over-do it, not realizing that the rev roll batter comes together quite quickly. We get so used to mixing batters until they are completely blended, that it's hard to stop at 5 or 6 strokes when one first starts doing things that require folding. I know that until I tried the rev rolls, if a recipe called for folding separated eggs, I would immediately disregard it, and it was a shame b/c some of my oldest family recipes (for things I can't really eat, of course) call for it. At least now I'm not afraid to make those old favorites for my parents.

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, Feb-11-08 at 19:37.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 22:09
Registered Member

Have you tried making a maple butter? Some softened unsalted butter, work in a bit of maple extract and sweeteners to taste.

Used to be my fave for pancakes/waffles, in the days before any syrups were readily available.

For syrup flavour, my personal favourite is made by E.D.Smith, here in Canada (I think they're in the States, too, but not sure). Nice texture, a little thicker than most, multiple sweeteners including Splenda for a great sweetness, more subtle flavour than most. There's 2 actually, one is butter flavoured but it's higher in carbs so I disregard it...