Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:54

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

oh, i boil it first then smother it in butter and sometimes bacon bits.
I don't like cabbage if it's not cooked enough. Almost metal taste.
No wonder all the parsnips, sprouts, and fish was left on my plate when I was a kid!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 10:09

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Good morning!

Cleochatra, first I want to thank you for this recipe. Second, I want to tell you how much I enjoy reading what you write and your sense of humor, and third....

I made Oopsie Roll Pancakes this morning. I figured if you could make waffles out of them, then you could make pancakes, too. They were so good, they tasted like bread pudding!

Quote:
Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

I added 1/2 scoop of vanilla whey powder to the yolks, plus 1/2 tsp. of vanilla. I used 2 drops Sweetzfree instead of the Splenda. Cooked them just like regular pancakes - used a 1/3 cup for each pancake and got 10. I nuked them for about 1 min. on medium to make sure the insides were fully cooked before serving.

I ate 5 with SF syrup and DH ate 5 (they are so light!) Magnifique!

P.S. I noticed someone mentioned Brown Sugar...The absolute BEST SF Brown Sugar I've found is DiabetiSweet. It is great.

I found it locally in a store called Target, but before that I found it at Netrition. LINK It's not cheap, but to me it's worth every penny. Tastes just like the real thing and no one in my family has ever had any stomach upset from it.

Thanks again, oopsie-girl!
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 10:42
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I used to oopsie recipe (with 2 T of almond flour in place of one of the eggs) to make a pizza crust today. I don't think that anyone would have known that the crust contained no wheat flour. It looked and tasted like a regular crust.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/205/180 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Oopsie Tip

First let me say that I am not a fan of oopsies, but I acknowledge their usefulness and I have made a lot of them trying to get a recipe that "hit the spot" for me. One tip I learned that helped was when trying to make the oopsie for hamburger buns. I took a piece of foil and carefully folded it into a strip of foil about two inches wide by ten inches long. Be careful to fold carefully and smoothly so the strip is flat and smooth, then crimp the ends together to form a ring about four to five inches in diameter, make six of these and spray with oil or butter them. Pour the oopsie batter into the rings while keeping the rings pressed down on the cookie sheet. If your careful, you will fill the rings (like egg rings at McDonalds) and when you bake them, you will get a uniform bun shaped oopsie that works great as a bun. You can even butter the tops at the end of baking to give it more color and sprinkle a few shreds of cheddar on top for that gourmet bun look and feel.

You can also buy these rings from cook specialty places in different diameters. Good luck!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/130.8/120 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 32%

WOW thanks!! I was wondering how to make them thicker!! I made them for the 1st time this weekend and they were kinda eggy tasting and flat as a pancake!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263.6/253.6/160 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Great idea!!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 15:25
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I noticed that my first batch of Oopsies tasted kind of eggy. I could taste the Splenda, too, which I disliked, although that would be fine if you intended to make waffles or french toast out of them. The second batch I made was like this, and they're much better, IMO:

3 egg yolks
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 tsp onion powder
Dash of salt
2 T flax meal

3 egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Beat egg yolk mixture until creamy. Beat egg white mixture until very stiff. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.

Bake at 325 F for 5 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 F and bake for another 25 minutes.

When I make them again, I will use more onion powder, or maybe a combination of onion powder and garlic powder. They are also "breadier," I think. They're great as burger buns!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 07:06

Plan: Atkins/lc
Stats: 152/150/130 Female 65
BF:Bad winters
Progress: 9%

Where do you purchase Xanthan gum? Having a difficult time finding it at a regular store. Not even sure which aisle!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 10:42
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMary
Where do you purchase Xanthan gum? Having a difficult time finding it at a regular store. Not even sure which aisle!
I think most health food stores carry it. It seems to be fairly common around where I live (but not in regular stores.) You can also buy it online. I'm sure netrition.com carries it. It may seem expensive, but one bag of it will last you for a long time. I bought mine back in 2004, and haven't had to replace it yet! BTW, I store it in the freezer.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 11:01

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Here is a great thickener from Netrition! LINK
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:59

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

About the problem of separating the whites from the yolks -

I've noticed that sometimes I've managed to hit the egg too hard, and end up breaking the yolk as I was cracking the egg (not while making a batch of oopsies though - yet!) Which is one reason why it's good to have a separate bowl to put the white in before dumping it in with the rest of the whites.

Anyhow, if you're having trouble separating the eggs, and can't find an egg separator, just dump the whole egg in that bowl when you crack it, and you should be able to easily lift an unbroken yolk out of it, just by carefully scooping it up with your fingers.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 18:28
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's great advice!

I also use the shell to lift out naughty eggy bits.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 04:29

Plan: Atkins/lc
Stats: 152/150/130 Female 65
BF:Bad winters
Progress: 9%

Thank you for the Xanthan gum info. I will look for it at a health food store.

I took a look at the thick and thin on that website locarbbarb and that looks good to.

Why keep the Xanthan gum in the freezer though?
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 05:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins under 5g
Stats: 340/304/160 Female 5'5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 20%

My Xanthan gum is kept in the cuboard, why the freezer? does it keep longer?
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 19:08

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

I wasn't sure about these... and I've been struggling with my low carb lifestyle, so these came in perfect time. I had some trouble... in my effort not to break down the whites, I don't think i mixed them well enough, as most of the yolk mixture went straight to the bottom... leaving me with a liquid mess at the bottom, also not leaving the rolls not very thick on the pan. I think next time I can get it better. I was worried, they were pretty "spongy" and smelled eggy (good, but eggy)

However, I just fried up 2 Steak-ums, some grilled onions and peppers, topped it with swiss cheese and mustard, and put it all between 2 oopsie rolls... It is going to be a while before my brain and stomach get in sync and realize that what I ate was LEGAL!!!! Unbelievable!! So filling, so sinful. I didn't taste the bread, or the texture because all the goodness in the middle was overpowering everything else. But I was able to hold it in my hands and eat it. This was heaven!! thank you SO much for the recipe! I'm going to wrap some little cocktail weenies in "strips" of this tomorrow and have pigs in faux blankets The possibilities are endless. I think next time I'll leave out the splenda and add something more savory, but the splenda wasn't too noticeable. I've been craving a Monte Cristo, so I think sometime this weekend I'll give it a shot with these... Thanks again!!