Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 07:11

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%

I love that Picture. Most likely a 4Her and her calf.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 07:54

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

We love going to the Halal markets near us for veggies (very clean, very fresh) and some other products. I never thought about meat from there, but that's a great suggestion. Too bad there aren't places to get pork that was butchered to those standards.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 10:11

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%

Pork(pig) is an unclean animal according to their religion.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 10:27

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
... Too bad there aren't places to get pork that was butchered to those standards.

There are places that sell all manner of meat from humanely slaughtered animals; Pigs included. Googling around should net a bunch of them. I think supporting things like humane meat and reacting when we see things like Proteus' original post will help more than shifting to meat slaughtered according to an ancient religious method.
There was no such thing as a captive bolt gun 2000 years ago, hanging an animal and cutting it's throat was the most humane way to do it then, but technology marches on. I'm sure if I posted a video of 1300lb steer being hoisted by its hind legs in a chainfall, while it's still completely conscious, and having it's throat slashed, there'd be some squirming as well. There are positive aspects of halal and kosher, that the animal be healthy, and disease-free, but those things are also the law in most modern countries; the public just needs to constantly apply pressure to make sure the system works and the abusers are brought to justice. I'm thankful for the animal rights activists that brought that sort of deplorable mistreatment to light; I practically live on beef and am disgusted seeing my food treated the way it was in that video.

In the US there is the HFA, who have a campaign to enforce humane slaugterhouse laws with a petition here.

Last edited by frankly : Sun, Feb-03-08 at 15:23.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress
Pork(pig) is an unclean animal according to their religion.

Yes, I know.

Yeah, Frankly. I am not expecting pain free slaughter, but the most humane possible. I've read over the pros and cons of Halal (it's actually a biggish issue here in the EU), and I don't think an animal has to be unconscious for it to be the most humane slaughter possible. There are people who disagree with me, but there are people here who disagree with me that I think it's inhumane to allow cats to be free roaming in the middle of London.

We don't replace Halal vegetables for organic or do a good portion of our shopping there, but if I need a few things for a meal, I will walk by many convenience stores, even those with largish produce sections, to go to one of our local Halal markets. Very good veggies for the price.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 11:39

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I grew up in Northern Wisconsin. The animals up there were very well cared for. The better the animals were treated, the healthier they were and the higher the price they got at auction. This may be a symptom of the elimination of family farming and the growth of factory farms.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 12:07
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dang, I wish I had the $$ to get the pasture-raised beef. Guess it's either my health or their well being.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 13:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, try this to take away the bad imagines

Yeah, but now how do I eat something that is so cute and sweet? Now tell me that.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 18:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum2

I realise of course that in some countries which practice Halal (for example Egypt which has had some bad press recently) there are big issues about how the animals are treated prior to slaughter - especially the live sheep export trade from here in Australia - but I get the impression that local Halal slaughter in the West is far less traumatic to the animals than modern abbatoir practice.

BTW if you eat real mutton you never want to go back to lamb again!!!

I've eaten both. Try hair sheep, which have it over wool sheep for great flavor. They have difficulty getting as fat as wool breeds, but aren't tainted by a hereditary "wool" taste. Mature animals are better than the youngsters in most cases. I've eaten 6-yr-old ewes with pleasure, and only had to sharpen my teeth once!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 18:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Yeah, but now how do I eat something that is so cute and sweet? Now tell me that.

Are you talking about the girl or the cow?
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 08:22

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Are you talking about the girl or the cow?

Oh, Nancy I mean the cow of course.I gave up eating kids months ago...they give me gas
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 09:12

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Dang, I wish I had the $$ to get the pasture-raised beef. Guess it's either my health or their well being.

I have an answer for you. I believe I remember you saying you lived in Durham. If so, visit the Durham Farmer's Market in two weeks (it's every other week during winter). Go to the Meadow Lane Farms booth and look through their items. Less expensive than WF, about the same as Harris Teeters.

But it also occurs to me that if you are a student, buying frozen meat and keeping it may be a logistical issue.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 09:48
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
I have an answer for you. I believe I remember you saying you lived in Durham. If so, visit the Durham Farmer's Market in two weeks (it's every other week during winter). Go to the Meadow Lane Farms booth and look through their items. Less expensive than WF, about the same as Harris Teeters.

But it also occurs to me that if you are a student, buying frozen meat and keeping it may be a logistical issue.

Yeah, my freezer is the size of a shoebox. I will definitely check out the Farmer's Market, though! Thanks for the tip.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:22

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 192/138/125 Female 5 FEET 3 INCHES
BF:I/Don't/Know
Progress: 81%

I hate those videos. I could easily become a vegetarian if I had to be exposed to too much of that. We get our beef from friends who raise cows. They do their own butchering and it is a thousand times more humane than that
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:03

Is this the video that the HSUS didn't share with anyone for four months, even though exposing it could have prevented further cruelty? (Sorry, didn't watch it and don't plan to).

From the US Secretary of Agriculture:

Quote:
It is unfortunate that the Humane Society of the United States did not present this information to us when these alleged violations occurred in the fall of 2007. Had we known at the time the alleged violations occurred, we would have initiated our investigation sooner, and taken appropriate actions at that time.