Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I was mahogany colored every summer, and honestly no one ever guesses my age correctly. I do not have the leathery skin or deep wrinkles everyone tells me sun worshipers get.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 10:40

Plan: Flexible
Stats: 175/153/140 Female 66.5"
BF:yes
Progress: 63%

It's more genetics than anything else!!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 11:27

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Even if the sun isn't causing cancer, isn't it still causing wrinkles??

The biggest cause of wrinkles is not the sun, but a high carb diet. Sugar and carbs cause a change in your collagen. It also depletes your body of vitamin C, which is what your skin uses to repair sun damage.

I blogged about this a while back...
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...t-wrinkles.html
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...nse-of-sun.html

This year I have sworn off sun screen, I get about 30 minutes of full exposure sun a day. Even though I am still pale (I'm Irish and Norwegian), I have a very healthy glow now instead of looking like Casper's sister. I did spend over 6 hours out in the sun yesterday, and due to where I was sitting during a bbq with a client and later in the hot tub with hubby, I got a little burned on one shoulder. I covered that area with a blend of vitamin c and palm oil last night and today it is just a slight pink but already turning brown. Previous to my supplementing with Vitamin D (I started in January....4000 IU per day), anything more than 10 minutes outside would cause me to burst in to flames, blister, and peel. 3 days later I would be back to liquid-paper white.

(FYI...if you lay out naked, no tan lines )
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I think it is more than just genetics -- the Vitamin D contributed to good health.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-08, 18:00

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I remember reading somewhere on Dr Eades blog that the tanning beds are not beneficial b/c they don't provide the right spectrum of UV light or something like that, and not to bother with them. He said natural sunlight is the best.

Unfortunately, it was in the comments section where he answered someone, and not in his actual blog, so a search didn't bring up anything. But I definitely remember reading it.

Think I found it:

Quote:
This doesn’t have much to do with your post, but it has to do with mood elevating:

I’d like to see your opinion about tanning booths. In the winter months, where I live, we get about zero sunshine exposure. With my current diet, I’m probably getting about no vitamin D every day. I haven’t have any decent sun exposure since the month of august.

I’m curious about how much U.Is are produced vs. the sun, and how often should we tan. What I’m worried about is that this artificial tanning is much stronger, so if it is too long, the vitamin D might get destroyed. When you suntan outside, you usually tan on one side, then get on the other side, and so on, so I guess that the vitamin D gets a chance to be absorbed, so that you can produce some more when you come back to that side. Tanning booths have an advantage though: a full body UVb exposure, something that is not possible around here when tanning outside…

I’m going to start tanning next week, probably twice a week, only 5 minutes to begin. Since this will be the main change in my habits, I hope to be able to notice if it has an impact on my mood, my energy levels, my sleep, and perhaps my strength (weight training).

Thanks

Hi Max–

I’m no expert on tanning booths, but I do know that the wave length that tans is UVA. The wave length that burns is UVB. UVB also stimulates vitamin D synthesis. As I understand it, tanning beds produce primarily UVA, which would make sense considering people go to tanning beds to get tanned, not burned.

Why don’t you simply take a vitamin D3 supplement. They’re dirt cheap. Take at least 5,000 IU per day during the winter season - I take that much every day that I don’t go into the sun, summer and winter alike. A recent review article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition stated that even 10,000 IU per day isn’t too high.

So, were I you, I would check on the wavelength of the light in the tanning beds before I spent much time in them. If I found it to be primarily UVA, I would avoid them like the plague. UVA is the wavelength that stimulates the melanocytes and increases the risk for melanoma, a very nasty cancer.

Regular sun exposure gives you both UVA and UVB. The UVB produces vitamin D, which is protects against the development of melanoma as a consequence of the UVA exposure. As you develop a tan, you are protected even more.

The worst set up for melanoma is to go out in the sun for long periods using a UVB sunblock. The sunblock allows you to spend a lot more time in the sun without getting burned while also allowing you to get a whopping dose of UVA.

Good luck.

Cheers–

MRE

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...mood-elevators/
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 14:49

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
Even if the sun isn't causing cancer, isn't it still causing wrinkles??

I found this interesting article on coconut oil. Here's an excerpt:

"Rabbit experiments, and studies of humans, showed that the amount of unsaturated oil in the diet strongly affects the rate at which aged, wrinkled skin develops. The unsaturated fat in the skin is a major target for the aging and carcinogenic effects of ultraviolet light, though not necessarily the only one."

Here's the rest of the article: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml

I'll be using more coconut oil (and other saturated fats) in my diet!