Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Day 3 - growl

I lived thru day 2, and have started day 3. I really thought today would be better than yesterday, but it isn't. Although it is nothing compared to day 1. I am still getting headaches, am in a rather foul mood (but I'm not sure that is a withdrawl symptom or just petulance because I really want a cig and can't have one), and am tired and weak. And I still REALLY want a cig. I am also still experiencing alot of anxiety - I haven't done my work-out routine since Mon because of the tiredness thing, but I did it last nite and my muscles are fatigued today - not achy, but literally fatigued. Joints ache, etc.

LCing, even on Induction, was much easier than this - at least you still got to eat, even if it wan't exactly what you craved!! I think a big part of my prob is that I smoked when I relaxed - took a little break from work, took a little break from cleaning the house, etc. I really don't know how to relax anymore without the cigs. Food is still not tasting good, so I don't have to worry about replacing cigs with food. Any relaxation techniques (that take less than 5 mins??? It's all the time I have to myself at a time)!

Oh, well, enough whining for now!!

PS - when does this get better?? A few days, a week, a month????

Thanx,
Anna
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default It does get better Anna

Congrat's on the day 3!

It will get better, I think it was about at the 3-rd day, I saw the change. Today or tomorrow you'll feel the pressure start to fade. Everyday a little better. It did take me about 72-hrs to get the nicatine out of the system. Try sipping on a little cranberry juice too. Watch the carb count but supposed to help get the nicatine out of the body faster.

I know how you feel about wanting a cig. I got a "dear john" call today from a gal I "was" dating for the last 2-1/2 months. The craving for something is bugging the hell out of me. Got to keep thinking of not subsituting one thing for another. Why start smoking because of this. Have so much unchanneled energy right now it's crazy. Been working out all morning, on and off. Doing push-ups with my feet elevated up 2-1/2 feet in the air and I'm still going thru set after set. I will not give in to the cig.

Anyway, it WILL get better, very soon. The first few days are hell, then it get's so easy at points that I sometimes can't remember being a smoker. If you can believe that!

Regards, John
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hello all!

Some excellent advice and support here. I am on day 27 and its going great! Now I did take the wimps way out LOL [patch] but its cause I am real concerned about weight gain. Fortunately I have been nicely developing my non-smoking lifestyle. ANNA- when U have the urge to smoke I have heard going to wash your face with cold water can help. Or going for a walk can take your mind off it. Drink extra water and it will flush your system out fast too.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 08:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default Day 4 is much better!!!

Today (day 4) is MUCH better. I'm actually making it through about 10 minutes (or longer) at a time without thinking about how bad I want a cig!! I have managed to catch a summer cold (maybe that's another reason I felt so horrible - was trying to fight off the cold as well as withdrawals. My immune system lost and I woke up hacking and stuffy). Cold or no, I still do feel much better today than I did.

I didn't use the cranberry juice, John, because I still haven't gotten to goal, and these last lbs are creeping off - in fact, I haven't lost a lb in almost a month - but am losing inches and clothing sizes. Anyway, I have a real prob with cravings (food) if I eat anything with even a small amount of natural sugar (not sweetner), and I just don't think I could handle chocolate cravings along with cig cravings!!! I did go get myself a large cafe latte yesterday - a big treat for me. And, by the way, I hope you made it thru the "girl trouble" without a cigarette. If she wasn't "woman enough" to tell you face-to-face, then she certainly wasn't worth ruining your lungs for!! Or going thru these horrible withdrawals AGAIN for!!

I have been drinking lots of water - and, strangely enough, my caffine cravings have greatly dwindled (I used to say I lived on caffine and nicotine). I have also found that rinsing my face with cold water does help.

I used a patch the first day, cut a patch in half for my second day, used no patch on the third day, and am home free now, I think!!!!

Thanx All,
Anna
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 08:36

BF:
Default great to hear Anna!

About your cold.....I had been super healthy the whole time I have been low-carbing which is over a yr now. Soon after I quit smoking I came down with a bad chest cold. Im sure losts of smokers, once they quit find this happens. Its our body saying " ok U arent filling my lungs with that crap anymore,guess I will get rid of the stuff thats in here" LOL Anyway Im over it now and guess its a small price to pay for having health lungs again. Just wishing U contined success!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 09:48

BF:
Default Getting sick after quitting. Caution!

Yes, take extra care of your self right after you quit smoking. Don't know if the lungs are trying to dump the crap in them or someone told me your body is mad at you for not giving in nictatine anymore and punishes you by getting sick easier.

Myself, within the first 2-weeks came down with pheumouia! Couldn't believe it, I've had chest colds before, but this wiped me out. Be very careful.

Didn't go for a cig over the gal trouble, wanted to like crazy, but stayed strong. Turns out she may just want to date with no long term commitments in mind. Will see.

Good for you with the patches too. You have to get off all nicatine, completely, by using the patch, you are (were) still on the drug the is the addiction. It's like cutting back on smoking, but not quitting.

It does get easier and better everyday from here on. Some days harder than others, but nothing compared to the first few!

Congrats, you are making it! I knew you could do it!

John
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 19:15

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

You have gotten past the hump and it easier from here on. I know, I have done it twice now.

Day three seems to be the worst for me. Then I found this time that on the 7th day I was very, very close to buying a pack. I went to the store and the urge was overwhelming. I told myself I would not buy, but I would go to a smoking friend's house and bum a cig. On the way there, with tears streaming down my face I turned the car home.

I tell you this to be wary of those times when it seems to overwhelm you. But listen carefully. As bad as it seemed at the time, when I made up my mind not to get the cig, the crave went away. That was it, that was the hardest single day...but really, it only amounted to the hardest 30 minutes! After that, it was gone.

Looking back I realized that the craves are temporary. If you get one, it will go away...just keep that in mind.

Congrats,

Dyna (day ... oh my gosh...day 19 since I quit cigs..and feeling great)
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default Day 5

Day 5 has been pretty smooth. Still having probs finding other things to do to "cue' me to relax, but the horrible physical "my body is screaming for Nicotine" is over - for now. I haven't encountered many terribly stressful situations this week, and I'm sure I will want a cig when they come along. I am, like John, always a little anxious - like I need to keep myself occupied. Unfortunatley, I, too, really enjoyed smoking. It hadn't gotten to the point where I was waking up hacking, or making noise when I breathed, or anything like that. However, whay let myself get to that unhealthy point. My children are thrilled - they really teach the anti-smoking thing at our school - as they should. I have let the kids know just how difficult this is for me - I want them to fully realize how addictive this stuff is and hope they stay away from it.

I am still feeling crappy - chest cold, etc., but imagine how much worse I would feel if I were to smoke!!! There were times I had strep throat, and still "had" to smoke that cig, even though it physically hurt!!! That's true addiction. And stupidity!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Dyna - I will keep them in mind the next time I really want to give in!!

Hope you all have a great, smoke-free weekend!!

Anna
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 14:48

BF:
Unhappy Blew it Saturday night - One time deal

I know......I know, how could you go and have a cig after 6-weeks. It was a one time episode. Have another confession, I drank that night too after almost 4 yrs clean, and again, will be a one time deal.

Have a lot of stress in my personal life right now and after working out like mad for a few days, trying to burn off the energy building inside and only getting more hyped up inside, couldn't take it. Needed something to calm myself. Fought it over and over in my mind soooooo much too, before endulging in the badness. I am paying for it now. Wiped out and drained for days now.

Am seeking out one of my friends to talk with about my personal life, where to seek help, and have started reading the section here on depression / addictions too.

I know all this other stuff doesn't really belong in this thread, but wanted all to get an understanding of how / why I picked up a few cig's that night.

John
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 14:55

BF:
Default Hey John

Im sorry to hear U R having a rough time of it right now. 1st thing ------- just because U may have done some "negative" things doesnt make U a bad person. I have quit smoking for 5 weeks now....and I hope I never smoke again....but Im human so who knows. It is a good thing U R looking to talk to someone about the things that are troubling U. Im sure that will help and if not maybe seek professional coucelling. Good luck.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 18:29

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Hey John

I just read your thread. I'm sorry things are rough for ya at the moment.

The most important thing for you to remember right now is that you are human, and just because you had a drink and a smoke at a time of extreme stress or anxiety is no reason to beat yourself up. (I assume you had more than a passing acquaintance drinking?) I'm not in anyway trying to enable you to continue with any addictions you may have, but remember that you quit once, and you can quit again. And you can do it today. One day at a time, no pressure, no guilt.

Here's a cyberhug for you, and remember that you are never alone! There's always someone here to talk to!

#42   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 00:58

BF:
Default Thank you all

Thanks for the kind comments.
I'm not myself right now. Talked with a friend tonight that helps kids in school with problems. Helped a little to talk about it one on one with someone. Still not getting a full nights sleep. Broke sleeping pattens right now. Will probably see the Dr tomorrow about the physical end of this. Will get thru this, just takes time.

Thanks again, John
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 12:46

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Astounding - I applaud you all

I have to say how proud I am of the courage, determination, strength of Will (even if it might feel to you as if your will-power is not there), commitment to stay with it despite how difficult it gets.

Be gentle and kind with yourself about any momentary weakness - Rest if you must but don't quit : or should it be quit in this particular instance!

You are all Winners - just for attempting it in the first place. Each successful day is to be celebrated.

Take care.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:29

BF:
Unhappy Follow up - "FS"

Saw Dr yesterday and today. Had bloodpressure and an EKG done. Rapid heatbeat and bloodpress are high due my current emotional state. Dr has put me on 3 drugs, one to slow my heartrate down, one to help me sleep,and an antidespressant for my problem. Coming down to axniaty / panic attacks, moderate to servere depression / manic depression basically.
Todays readings were fine and the med's are working / calming down.

Have continued to smoke again, but at a much..much less rate. A pack every 3-4 days. For me thats fantasic, was smoking 2-3 packs a day. I will deal with this and go for the quit again in the next few weeks. Need some time to relax and let the stressful situation of this pass first. Just need some time.

Have to learn how to live / deal with lifes everyday problems / stress better, so something like this doesn't happen to me again. I am a pretty good mess right now. Will pass and hopefully with talking to some people and some medication I'll be able to beat this and enjoy life like other people. I'm understanding now how I have not been happy / enjoying life like other people and now have to learn how to do this. ( Sadder Than Sad - syndrome ) I take too many things to heart basically. Been coming for a long time.

John
PS: Thanks again F-vina-S
Hope your enjoying you time with family. Enjoy yourself, don't worry about this. I mean it. U help soo many, take time for yourself
Happy B-day too!
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 12:26

BF:
Default Big Hugs John!

I am so sorry for your troubles. I realize I dont know U and Im not sure all what U are going thru but I can sympathsize. About 8 years ago [I wont go into all the details..lol] I found myself very anxious, always feeling a sense of doom. It took me several months of finding the right medication to help but once I did I felt so much better. In my case it was undiagnosed fibromyalgia that was behind all my problems. When U are in a depression U feel so lonely BUT you are not alone. Continue to seek treatment and help. It will get better. Good luck.