Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I think that if you tried to grate it after cooking, you'd end up with cauliflower mush- which would have the texture of mashed potatoes rather than rice.

There are more options than boiling it, I had mentioned before that I roast mine and then shred it and it comes out very nice.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 10:08

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
... you could get a ricer!

I have a ricer and I've tried it with cauliflower - doesn't work worth a darn so, unless you have another reason for wanting a ricer, don't waste your money! When I have just a small amount of cooked cauli and don't want to dirty the FP, I use my old pastry blender - that works pretty good!

Glenda
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I tried this last night. So good. I roasted mine (1/2 head) in the oven for 10 minutes with potatoes I was doing for the fam. Then grated in my fp and sauteed with onions in evoo and butter (lots) and s & p. Great with smoked pork chops.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 14:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I used my shredding blade on my cabbage and I was happy with the texture, but I'm easy to please.

I ended up with Souvlaki Rice today! I had chicken and veggies marinating for Souvlaki skewers but I had too much to fit on the skewers I had. So I poured the extra stuff into a pan, added my cauliflower "rice" and some extra olive oil and cooked until the chicken pieces were done. It was terrific!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 19:10
Experimenter

BF:

Tonight I made Pad Thai using cauliflower rice! It was great!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

You could DARE come here and say that and not SHARE THE RECIPE? I'll give you another chance, before I come lookin' for it. Seriously that sounds so good. I don't know how to make the sauce, though.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Yeah! What she said, Nancy!

#38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 10:41
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I just threw it together. I've been doing Thai food long enough now I don't usually follow recipes. But I'll give you the general idea.

I sauteed the cauliflower rice in butter and threw in some chopped green onions (scallions). Then I remembered I had chicken and shrimp in the freezer. Defrosted a bit of it, chopped into bits and threw that in. Opened a can of water chestnuts, chopped half of them into smallish pieces, threw them in. Dusted the top with garlic powder (didn't feel like chopping up garlic and getting stinky fingers). Dusted it with cayenne pepper because I didn't have any little green chilies to add. Stir fried. Mixed up 2 eggs with a squirt of fish sauce in a bowl and moved the stir fry to the side, poured the egg in on the other side and scrambled it, then mixed it into the rest of the stir fry.

I used wheat-free tamari (tastes like soy sauce) and lime juice to give it the right flavor. You gotta go easy on those sauces because they're super salty. I totally forgot to add chopped cilantro (which I keep in the freezer).

Usually Pad Thai uses some sweetener (palm sugar or a substitute) but I didn't use any this time and I really didn't miss it.

Also, you can sprinkle ground peanuts on top if you're so inclined. I'd think cashews would be good too! But my gut doesn't let me eat nuts nowadays.

Taste along the way to make sure it tastes right. I nearly forgot the lime juice but it is that lime taste that really makes it sparkle.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Feb-15-08 at 11:57. Reason: Remembered the eggs
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 12:40
Registered Member

Hmmmm, I can work with that, Nancy! It does sound tasty.

#40   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 13:35

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 385/285/235 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

This might of sealed the choice of buying a FP or not.

Can't wait to try this out.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 20:38

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just want to say I'm glad I saw this thread--I'd seen this sort of thing mentioned before but had no intention of buying a ricer. It never would have occurred to me to toss it in my food processor. There is one rice-centric dish I was really going to miss on LC, an Alton Brown number (flounder stuffed with spinach with a cheese sauce, all on a bed of white rice)...then I saw this thread. I made some the 'normal' way for company, made myself some on a bed of faux rice, and it was awesome. Didn't miss the 'real' rice at all. Now I'm pondering the possibilities. Some kind of stir-fry definitely sounds good.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 03:43
Registered Member

Strangely enough, a ricer is only used on cooked (soft) potatoes and such...wouldn't have been any good for raw cauliflower, or for rice!

#43   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

If you really want something that is more like whole grain rice you can get some non-tofu shirataki noodles and put them in a blended or food processor and chop them up, they won't turn to mush like regular pasta, they will chop up into tiny pieces resembling rice, then you just saute them a bit to dry them out and add whatever you would usually put with rice.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 15:38
Experimenter

BF:

I read someone's blog that they used the ricer on cooked cauliflower. Can't remember where I saw it though.

Anyway, I use my shredding blade in the food processor on the cauliflower. Works good enough to suit me!

I'm finding the "riced" cauli is very versatile. I made a "empty the fridge" rice this morning. I added left over lamb, olives, couple of eggs which I scrambled in the pan on the side, wine reduction sauce, water chestnuts, and other things in my fridge and stir fried. Added lemon juice, oregano and salt for flavorings. Tasted kind of greek. Pretty good and used up a bunch of stuff in the fridge.

I also used just raw, uncooked "rice" and poured some Thai tuna curry on top and heated it. It was GREAT!

I'm wanting to make some kind of Greek pilaf out of it sometime. I think it'd go really good with the souvlaki I've been making lately.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 09:10
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I shred my cauliflower with a cheese grater and it has worked really well (post cooking). It takes only a minute to shred 16 ounces of cauliflower (3 cups).

I use the cauliflower for pizza crusts, lasagne and bread sticks now, among other things. It really acts an an astounding filler for these recipes and 'plays well with others'.